· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 34 of 198 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484134 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    JBL MicroMec apparently can't be found in the states, though I did a little more research on what is available. It came down to EHEIM Substrat Pro (548sqm/L) or Seachem Matrix (700sqm/L). I'm glad you mentioned something, because I probably would have filled up my basket with more Fluval BioMax (which has been fine for what I need, so far, but if you can go bigger/better... why not?). Anyway, I'm going to order some Matrix, since it boasts the greatest surface area per Liter. Both are shaped/sized in a way that makes filling the basket quite full (more than I can say for the BioMax, which is really quite limited)..
    Yeah, there seems to be very few global companies in the business. Would love to hear about that matrix stuff. I'm also thinking about doing a "planted tanks aren't scary" post for beginners, perhaps it will get stickied. I could use a relatively new plant keeper with knowledge of what's on the American market, interested?

0 Not allowed!
    Absolutely. Count me in. Sounds like a great idea. =]
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

0 Not allowed!
    Just got my new filter today. It's a little roughed up (there's a chip in the plastic on the lid - not a big deal, since it's on the corner and won't effect functionality), but expected for $50. =] It says XP M on the box, so I was concerned. WTH is XP M? Is that an old-as-crap version of the XP2? Then I looked around and found out that the XP2 is now being called the XP M. =] They've renamed them S/M/L/XL (sizes). Makes sense to me, but I was a little worried at first. ;P Just thought I'd let you know, should anyone have a similar experience.

Anyway, unpacked it and started cutting sizing/cutting hoses and piecing everything together. Just waiting on my Matrix to arrive and then I'll hook it up to the tank. New tech is always fun.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Merry Christmas buddy! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Merry Christmas Sandz! - Taurus Happy birthday buddy! - KevinVA Happy B-day!! - steeler1 Happy Bday bud!!! - Hardy85 Have a little cake and ..... - fishmommie 
    .... beer.  Hope it was a good one. - fishmommie Happy Birthday!  Enjoy! - jeffs99dime I'll drink to that! - steeler1 Enjoy! - Hardy85 This one's on me... - Slaphppy7 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    Cool thanks for the heads up. For what it is, looks clean.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

0 Not allowed!
    Looks nice! BTW, congrats on winning TOTM! I didn't know you'd won, but then I've been gone for a while. :)
    130g: 7 Angelfish, 1 Bolivian, 12 Neon Tetras, 14 Serpae Tetras, 9 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora ? Ghost Shrimp
    I've noticed that people HATE it when you point out how stupid they are, so now I try to do it politely.

0 Not allowed!
    Haha. Thanks Mandy, appreciate it. =] That was before I decided to butcher my stem plants and rearrange everything again. lol The tank looks a bit different now.

0 Not allowed!
    So, I hooked up the XP M to my tank. All is well, but I noticed two problems:

1. The lid had been damaged (I'm guessing from the previous owner), as I mentioned previously. One of the corners broke off and left a hole. When the lid, which houses the motor/impeller fills with water it has the potential to leak out of the hole in the corner. I had witnessed this, while checking the filter after it had been running, to see if anything was wrong. At first, I wasn't aware of the housing/make up of the lid/motor/impeller, but now I realize that the entire lid is a holding area for the water to be pushed out by the impeller.

2. The Quick Disconnect leaks, when it's disconnected from the lid. If left alone, this will leak tank water all over the floor. Thankfully I had a towel at the ready to absorb it, but this is definitely another defect. Also, when I remove the Disconnect, it pops off with such force that water is splashed out. lol Not ideal.

The canister does work (it's working without issue right now), but I'll need to replace the Quick Disconnect, which I have found for $26. I can live with the lid having a hole in it, but I'll want to seal it somehow. I was thinking of using silicone, but I'm not sure if that'll do it.

If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears.

I could return the thing, but honestly... $50 is such a great price for this unit, even with the little defects it has. Hell, $76 is a great deal, too (for the new disconnect). I sent an e-mail to the guy who sold it to me. I'm hoping he'll meet me half-way, but we'll see how that goes. Apparently he's out of the office until Monday. I did find an XP3 on eBay going for around $70 now, so if he doesn't want to help me out, maybe I'll go that route. The pictures show no defects in the lid, so that's a plus. ;P Unfortunately, that ends in 14hrs and I'm waiting for this other guy to get back to me. AHHH!

Of course... I do plan on purchasing another 75gal down the road.... Oh, choices.

Edit: Just sent an e-mail to Rena, as well. Maybe something will come of that. =/
    Last edited by KevinVA; 02-09-2013 at 05:47 AM.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Merry Christmas buddy! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Merry Christmas Sandz! - Taurus Happy birthday buddy! - KevinVA Happy B-day!! - steeler1 Happy Bday bud!!! - Hardy85 Have a little cake and ..... - fishmommie 
    .... beer.  Hope it was a good one. - fishmommie Happy Birthday!  Enjoy! - jeffs99dime I'll drink to that! - steeler1 Enjoy! - Hardy85 This one's on me... - Slaphppy7 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    Silicone is the first thing that comes to mind on the chipped top. Easy to work with and durable.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

0 Not allowed!
    After thinking about this... the XP models are probably going to have the same issues, regardless of which one I get. I think the Quick Disconnect is a flawed design. From what I could tell, it leaks water and air, which impedes water flow and prevents the motor/impeller from doing what it's supposed to do, which is self-prime. I just dealt with this, since the flow stopped in the tank. I had a breaker switch in the basement and while my Penn Plax regained strength and started pumping again, the XP M failed in doing so.

I'm probably just going to send this back and get my money back and buy one of those American-designed/Asian-made Sun-Suns/Grech's. I've only read good reviews about them and I don't see why we should knock something that's less expensive and unknown. Hell, Apple gets everything built in China, right? Look at the quality of their products and how popular they are. ;P

Anyway, that's the route I'm going to take. I'll keep you apprised.

0 Not allowed!
    Just bought the Grech GW-302 (same exact model/build as the SunSun HW-302). Saved $3 going with Grech. ;P Total was $49.98 w/ free shipping. It's the 75gal model, boasting of 265gph, which is the same as the Penn Plax Cascade 1000 (what I currently have). It has 3-stage filtration, just like the Cascade, and also comes with quite a bit more accessories and media than the XP M I just got. The only difference I see between the Cascade & Grech is the motor. The Grech motor utilizes only 18w of power, while the Cascade utilizes 28.5. I'm hoping that 10.5w of power won't make that much of a difference, but you can now understand why the other models are quite a bit cheaper. I'll let you know how it performs. Luckily I'll be able to compare two types of filters, rated for the same use.

It's unfortunate that the XP M didn't work out... they're supposed to be far superior than either of the two I've mentioned. We'll see what kind of answers I get from Rena and the person I bought it from. Maybe it'll work out, anyway, and I'll be able to fix/use it in the future. Just kind of annoyed that it didn't work out as planned.

Page 34 of 198 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484134 ... LastLast