· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 329 of 353 FirstFirst ... 229279319327328329330331339 ... LastLast
Results 3,281 to 3,290 of 3529

3 Not allowed!
    That sucks Kevin and yes, it would be very frustrating. I wish I had some great and helpful advice but being pretty new to the hobby, I'm afraid I don't. I will say that in the short time I have been a part of this forum I have admired your beautiful tanks and gained a lot of knowledge from all of your posts. Bottom line is you are a great fishkeeper and I'm sure things will right themselves soon. Just gotta have.. ugh.. Patience.

Awards Showcase

Sharing my winnings with my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Heres to the "good old days" of fishkeeping - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie you won't need another tank for this one - showmebutterfly 
    Instead of rep, how about a snack?..need to spread the rep, lol - Slaphppy7 For always appriciating my videos :) - steeler58 Just Saying Thanks for the help! - Plecos Hope they work for you this time ;) - steeler58 Good eye! - j250nyahweh 
    Congrats on MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Here's to MOTM ;-) - steeler58 cheers! - RiversGirl love the new fish - SeaLady Yay for new fish ;-) - steeler58 
    Another Rummy for passing 2,000 - steeler58 After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed some color! - Plecos T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! Miss seeing you online! - showmebutterfly 

2 Not allowed!
    Kevin just to let you know a good friend of mine has a 55 galon tank at the startof june he added six female gbrs to it. He did a major clen of this tank yesterday he only has two females left. No bodys no signs of them also at the same time he has had 15 neons vanish into thin water. Same thing on bodys. He has been keeping fish thirty plus years. Pramiters for water spot on. I would blame aleins here to. Sharing this because even with lots of exp. Weird stuff happens. Like I said before you do great. We just get frustreated by odd stuff.
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks DM, that means quite a bit, and Chris, that's actually quite helpful to hear. lol I'm sorry your friend lost all of those fish, but at least there are much more experienced fish keepers out there who experience the same types of hiccups. I guess that gives me some hope.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass 
    TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny Thanks for all the good info lately--have a donut! - WhistlingBadger Congrats on 7,800 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Returning some of the treasure you've brought to the forum. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 We ALL need more fish.  That's why we're here! - WhistlingBadger T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF Lee :-) - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb TGIF - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

2 Not allowed!
    Yep, remember your friend out here in California can't keep Emerald eye rasboras alive after 40+ years in the hobby :)
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 
    Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA 
    It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 Congrats on 2,000 post! - Slaphppy7 Sorry to hear about the loss of your Cat :( - steeler58 

3 Not allowed!
    Kevin, so sorry about the loss loss your Raph and the oto. It has just been one thing after another for you lately.
    Can you tell me what the time frame was between you starting to dose with co2 and the ich? It's so hard to pinpoint when an issue may have started or like you said it could be a combination of things.
    When I was growing up and my dad had tanks he didn't test for anything. Of course at that time municipal water wasn't treated like it is now, he never had live plants and if a fish died, he felt bad but just went and got more..no such thing as qt back then either and water changes were done at no regular interval and topped off when the waterline dropped.

I think keeping a healthy planted tank with healthy fish is very challenging as you have to focus on both instead of just one and it's a balancing act and something personally I would never put myself through so I live vicariously through those with lovely highly planted tanks.

In my opinion after reading the link, elevated nitrates although not the devil ;) can present issues with fish health in the long term, you're just not going to see the problem immediately as with ammonia or nitrites. What the industry needs is an accurate affordable way of testing. Even with discus I admit to not testing often. I got my starting point by testing, their food is measured and water changes done to keep that approximate level...of course I don't dose or have plants :D. I honestly couldn't tell you my nitrate levels in the 45, haven't tested for ages

Awards Showcase

Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 
    TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 Your candy bag is getting full. - mommy1 Thank you for playing all the games! I appreciate the support - mommy1 
    Congrats on 5000th post! - Plecos Here's to 5,000 posts :) - steeler58 Thanks for scouting--have a snack on me. - WhistlingBadger Have some pumpkin pie - mommy1 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks So Much. - metweezer T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and it's good to see you back. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    So sorry to hear about this Kevin, I know that big cat was special to you. Been there from the beginning no? I really hope things turn around for you.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

7. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Once again, I'm sorry about your cat and otto.
    I just read the link. It's very interesting - and of course, makes the foundation on which I've built my fishkeeping standards pretty wobbly.
    I don't know if you remember that when I called SEAchems about a product to help reduce nitrates and I told them they got as hi as 40ppm in my 90 - they laughed and told me I had no problem and things must be mighty fine in my tank if I could keep trates that low. My LFS owner - who admittedly is old school - runs all of his show tanks on UGF's completely. I asked him once how hi his trates were. He said last time he checked around 80ppmn. Didn't see it as a problem. Nitrates have run that high in his tanks for over 30 years and he has great longevity with his fish. He also doesn't have planted tanks ...
    So, I'm taking away from the conversation in that link that we can't depend on the nitrate tests, wouldn't matter what they read anyway as long as the fish are healthy, and quite possibly, all the fert dosing could be the culprit in any unexplained deaths instead of high nitrates.

Not that I'm going to take this info and run with it and change my entire way of maintaining the tank, but it certainly does give one reason to ponder the entire nitrate issue.
    It does make me wonder because I lost that blood parrot shortly after I started dosing with Metricide BUT I'd also made a lot of other changes in that tank and hubby caught the clogged PFS and once he cleaned it, everything was right with the tank again.

So my question to you, Kevin, is - are you reconsidering any of the ferts you are using? Do you think Metricide might cause the same issues that the article suggests that C02 causes?
    Last edited by fishmommie; 07-03-2014 at 03:08 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

Thanks for playing - mommy1 for the nice gift - SeaLady After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche Thanks! - Plecos Some more halloween candy for killing zombies - mommy1 
    TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 Your candy bag is getting full. - mommy1 Thank you for playing all the games! I appreciate the support - mommy1 
    Congrats on 5000th post! - Plecos Here's to 5,000 posts :) - steeler58 Thanks for scouting--have a snack on me. - WhistlingBadger Have some pumpkin pie - mommy1 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks So Much. - metweezer T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and it's good to see you back. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Just spit balling here. I assume you've been using the ferts for a while now? Did you start off with the recommended dosage or slowly work up to it?
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry you lost the cat Kev. Hang in there.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

Awards Showcase

Good Luck w/cycling - pRED Welcome to AC - mommy1 Welcome to the AC!  Good luck on your cycle.  The fish cycle... not the other one. - KevinVA For letting us "hyjack" your post! - steeler58 Here's some happy cycling thoughts or the most annoying gift in the shop... depends on your perspective. - mommy1 
    Congratulations, time for fish! - mommy1 Congrats on completing your cycle!  Here's a parrot, since I never see anyone gift parrots. - KevinVA Congrats on your cycle!...I guess....LOL - Slaphppy7 Have a "cold beer" for completing your cycle. - steeler58 Beautiful tank!  Here's an Apisto to get you started. - KevinVA 
    Here's to your new fish purchase! - steeler58 Welcome aboard! :-) - Taurus You came, you learned, you tanked! - SeaLady A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass Terribly sorry about recent events...your luck will get better - Slaphppy7 
    I just realized you don't have any barbs. - Compass Hard days ending in beer are usually evened out to be just the right side of OK. - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Cheers to new fish! - Sandz Sharing my winnings with my friends! - Compass 

1 Not allowed!
    Kevin I'm sorry to be reading this and seeing your having such issues. I'm sure you'll overcome as a passionate and experienced fish keeper. Hoping you get over it soon man
    Special thank you to mommy1, KevinVA and slaphppy7 for all the help, it has not been easy!

"I may not be there yet, but I am closer than I was yesterday"

Planted tank log
    Planted tank video

Page 329 of 353 FirstFirst ... 229279319327328329330331339 ... LastLast