· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 348 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I added 20 fish to my 75gal last night. I also bought a Crown Tail Betta for my 10gal, to replace the 3 serpaes that were in there. All fish are in!

On a side note, I believe my heater isn't calibrated correctly. It's an Aqueon, so I don't even know if there's a way to do it, but the numbers are way off. Before I got my fish, I started working on bringing the temperature down from 86' - it was set for 82' on the actual heater and I just thought the lights were bringing the temp up to 86'. I was fiddling around with it to bring it down to 82' or less, so it would be ready for fish.

It took about an hour to bring it down to 83' with ice and ice packs (in freezer zip-lock bags) and when it hit 83' the heater would engage... and that was after moving it to 76' on the nob setting. So, I moved the nob to about 73' and now it sits at around 82'. That was pretty tricky, but it was eventually ready for fish and now it's been stable at about 82'.

The last 15min were the worst, because I figured the water would have cooled, before I got my fish, so when I got home, it was a race to get the water to a better level (from 84' to 83 or 82'). That's when I started adding more ice/ice-packs. lol

I had to raise the temperature of my original 3 serpaes, as well, so they'd get used to it, but they weren't in a bag. So, I actually had to acclimate them in a bucket w/ a bubbler.

That was an interesting night. ;P

This morning, everything was fine. The Betta (who was the easiest to acclimate) in the 10gal is doing well, swimming around and checking things out. Very beautiful Crown Tail.

The Tetras were all swimming around in the center last night, schooling together, which was interesting - two different species. Oh, and I opted for the Black Phantom Tetras, instead of the Black Skirts, with the Serpaes.

The Tetras were all dispersed within the plants this morning, the majority of each species separated in their own school. There were some stragglers who couldn't decide what they were, I guess.

I did notice that there was quite a bit of nipping on the fins of one or two - not sure if that occurred last night or while they were at the store, but they were doing well, regardless. They were up front, swimming around, and HUNGRY. As soon as I dropped some pellets in there, they just went at it - feeding frenzy time from all of them. They received two more servings of flakes and I felt that was good enough. They ate the crap out of everything, which I saw as a very good sign.

I'll post some pics tonight, when I get home. Hopefully they're not all hiding again. ;P
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

2. Default Congratulations

0 Not allowed!
    Congratulations! Sounds like you had quite the time with your temp but all is good now. And yes. Hungry fish are always a good sign.
    Looking forward to picts.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    Pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lol!
    130g: 6 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora
    I've noticed that people HATE it when you point out how stupid they are, so now I try to do it politely.

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry! lol

It was difficult trying to find a good setting to take these guys. They're constantly moving around. It was really fun to watch them last night. I had my filter on at max output, so that combined with my pump were creating a slight (or at least, slight to me) current in the tank. It looked fine to me, but after watching these guys play in it, I realized I had to take it down a notch.

One Serpae kept swimming toward the pump, low to the sand, then when he reached the current flow, he would swim almost straight up, the current would begin to take him, he'd quickly turn and try to swim toward the pump in the current. He tried this several times, before I decided to turn it down. lol It was funny and cute at the same time, because it looked like he was playing in it.

I've noticed that my Serpae Tetras are definitely much more present in the foreground. The Black Phantoms do hang around together, but typically in the foliage around the sides and background. They do venture out a bit, but the Serpaes definitely make their presence known.

Here's a school of the Serpaes (and a couple of Phantoms) in front of the caves:

Two of the Serpaes kept playing in the caves, but they would use the smallest opening. These two would go through where the Anubias is, then come around and exit where the white rock meets the gray rock to create a triangle. It was funny, because they have so many other options, which would have made it easier for them to swim... but they chose the challenge.

Here are some Black Phantoms hiding in the Cabomba Forest. I'm hoping they become more present, because when their colors come out, they look pretty darn cool.

Here are about 6 of the Phantoms. Couldn't get a better picture of them swimming in the open, since it's a rarity and they're quick. Funny that all of the plants are in near perfect clarity, while you mostly see streaks of fish. ;] haha

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

5. Smile very nice!

0 Not allowed!
    Great photos. Great tank. You have far more energy and patience than I to grow such a beautiful aquatic garden - and that's exactly what it looks like. A garden. When and if I ever redo my 30with live plants, I'll know who to ask for advice:o) Great job

How many Serpaes do you have? I have six in my school and I'm thinking of upping it to 10. LOVE them and my Colombian Tetras.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails

0 Not allowed!
    Great pics Kev!

My Serpaes are easily the most active members of my tank. It's almost like they dance. I often observe them swimming straight up, and wiggling their bodies. It's pretty when they do it together.

The phantoms look very similar to ther Serpaes, just black. Are they related? Other than being fish of course. :)
    I've noticed that people HATE it when you point out how stupid they are, so now I try to do it politely.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie
    Great photos. Great tank. You have far more energy and patience than I to grow such a beautiful aquatic garden - and that's exactly what it looks like. A garden. When and if I ever redo my 30with live plants, I'll know who to ask for advice:o) Great job
    Thanks fishmommie, I appreciate that. If you ever do need help, I'll be happy to lend a hand. It's not too difficult and often rewarding/relaxing. =]

How many Serpaes do you have? I have six in my school and I'm thinking of upping it to 10. LOVE them and my Colombian Tetras.
    I have a school of 10. I had 3 in my 10gal and they seemed to have enjoyed their time in there. They picked out their own territories and fed together. They always had brilliant colors in there. However, when I added them to the other 7 I just bought, it was like a new outlook on life came over them. They immediately joined the school and started swimming playfully and checking things out. I'm sure they appreciate more swimming space, but I think they enjoy the company of others, as well. Regardless of all the warnings people give about Serpaes, they're very fun, active and so far, very rewarding.

Quote Originally Posted by MandyK
    Great pics Kev!

My Serpaes are easily the most active members of my tank. It's almost like they dance. I often observe them swimming straight up, and wiggling their bodies. It's pretty when they do it together.

The phantoms look very similar to ther Serpaes, just black. Are they related? Other than being fish of course. :)
    Thanks Mandy! They are of the same family, same genus, but different species. They do look similar, with their comma-shaped spot, but when their colors perk up, they do look quite different. Their fins also have a somewhat different shape.

When the Phantom's colors are really going to town, the back half of their body turns a very dark blue/gray color (from their dorsal fin to the tip of their tail). It looks very cool and I suppose that's where they got the name Phantom.

They also behave differently. The Serpaes actually school together, but the Phantoms are prone to pairing off and establishing their own territories. Though, I would suggest Serpaes are prone to the same behavior if given the chance. Apparently Phantom males will mock-fight over territory, which will bring out their deeper colors, but they're allegedly more peaceful than Serpaes (and remain a smidge smaller). Serpaes get about 1.5-2" in length. Phantoms will get about 1.4-1.75" in length.

0 Not allowed!
    Well, two things have happened since picture day.

1. I've had my first casualties. Two of my Serpaes bit the dust (and it must have been yesterday, because I didn't notice them then). It looks like one of my originals and a new guy. The original looked to be in perfect condition, with exception to some discoloration. Perhaps he couldn't handle the move, stressed and died. One of the newer ones looks like he probably died and was eaten - no fins left, at all, poor guy.

2. On another note, I saw 3 Serpaes performing what I think is a mating ritual of sorts. It looked like the males would vibrate around the female (one of the originals and one of the new (much smaller) ones were performing this ritual in front of one female (I'm assuming). They would then circle each other very closely (no nipping) and would continue swimming. One male would chase off another male, etc, and the new male would perform the same ritual. It was very interesting to watch.

I'm going to hit PetSmart again and pick up 2 more Serpaes. Hopefully I just had two weaker fish that couldn't handle the move and I should be able to replace them with sturdier stock. It may have been less stressful for the old guy being in a group of 3, without more competition. Who knows...

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA
    Well, two things have happened since picture day.

1. I've had my first casualties. Two of my Serpaes bit the dust (and it must have been yesterday, because I didn't notice them then). It looks like one of my originals and a new guy. The original looked to be in perfect condition, with exception to some discoloration. Perhaps he couldn't handle the move, stressed and died. One of the newer ones looks like he probably died and was eaten - no fins left, at all, poor guy.

2. On another note, I saw 3 Serpaes performing what I think is a mating ritual of sorts. It looked like the males would vibrate around the female (one of the originals and one of the new (much smaller) ones were performing this ritual in front of one female (I'm assuming). They would then circle each other very closely (no nipping) and would continue swimming. One male would chase off another male, etc, and the new male would perform the same ritual. It was very interesting to watch.

I'm going to hit PetSmart again and pick up 2 more Serpaes. Hopefully I just had two weaker fish that couldn't handle the move and I should be able to replace them with sturdier stock. It may have been less stressful for the old guy being in a group of 3, without more competition. Who knows...
    Sorry to hear about your loss. Did you happen to check the ph in each of your tanks? The one you moved your serpaes to and the ph in the one they were in? Also, do you know what the ph is at your LFS? If there is a large difference in the PH that may have stressed them. And if so, maybe if you increase the drip acclimate a little longer this time it might make the difference?
    Just a thought. I know my tank ph is 7.2 or 7 , sometimes lower, but the ph in the tanks at my LFS runs a solid 8 so I take a long time with my drip.

Good luck.

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry to hear about your fishies!!

You know I was wondering if that wiggling thing were a mating ritual myself... They say that Serpaes are the easiest of the Tetras to breed.

Page 3 of 348 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast