· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 29 of 197 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979129 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You've shown remarkable persistence in the face of the fish illness and algae issues, Kevin. I don't know that I could have remained as positive.
    While I know planted tanks are supposed to be healthier for the fish, at this point I'm glad I've taken a sit back and see what happens with others planted tanks. So far, I'm glad I have :o(
    My 30 is partially planted but the planting is very light, as in floating hornwort and a small fern in one corner and a piece of driftwood with plants attached. That tank has remained healthy since I set it up almost a year ago and I have absolutely 0 algae issues. I have 2 apple snails + 1 BNPleco in the tank but I do not attribute their presence to the lack of algae as all 3 are constantly munching on zucchini and veggie chips and the spinach I toss in. Of course, they could be working like crazy at night but since all are so visible and active during the day I doubt it. Once a month, I do wipe down the inside of the glass to remove any film that might build up - read that somewhere that it's a good practice to keep a tank healthy.

My 5 gal betta tank is the same. only floating hornwort and a small annubis attached to a piece of drift wood. no snails. 0 algae or illness

With the exception of the floating hornwort, the 90 has 0 plants - my severums wouldn't allow them if I wanted them.lol Again, though, algae is almost non existant with the exception of some lingering diatoms that I have to clean up about once a month. I still suspect the recently added hornwort for the ich I recently experienced in this tank.

Which leads me to my point - finally LOL. Shot in the dark - is it possible the plants in your tank brought some sort of disease or parasites with them and the fish just keep passing it to each other? Maybe someone else here can offer a better opinion herer, but since it's entirely possible that plants can transfer ich, could they not transfer something else?

Again - just tossing that out there because I feel so bad that you are having so many issues and you work so hard on the tank. Regardless, fingers crossed that things work out for that 75 soon.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    I'm glad i'm not the only one who tries to do everything by the book and still has things go wrong lol
    The Dirty 75
    11 Parva Rainbow, 2 Platies, 14 Sterbai, 4 Calico BN Pleco
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie
    While I know planted tanks are supposed to be healthier for the fish, at this point I'm glad I've taken a sit back and see what happens with others planted tanks. So far, I'm glad I have :o(

Yes, you're not the only one. I don't do live plants or the lighting it takes to keep them thriving. I do wipe down the inside of both tanks that I keep weekly to control all forms of algae. I use a weak bleach\water solution to kill algae on artificial plants, real rocks and driftwood. My water parameters remain steady through active and sufficient mechnical and bio filtration. I make 50% water changes twice weekly. The fish I keep are certainly very healthy.

I only keep enough fine gravel as substrate in my tanks so that I can vacuum it cleanly, twice weekly.

Clean water and good food! And I only feed dry foods.

I try to keep it simple and so far it works for me.

You can provide cover and structure for your fish without live plants.

LOL...I'm sure opinions will vary.
    Last edited by Taurus; 01-23-2013 at 07:19 PM.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

0 Not allowed!
    @Hardy85 - likewise. It's always comforting to find you're not alone, when you're having trouble dealing with something like this. You always read the success stories and see the perfect aquarium pictures across the board, but rarely hear the horror stories. You're not alone, my friend.

To FM & Taurus,

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your comments/concerns/insight.

I know it might seem like I'm at my whit's end, but rest assured I'm just trying to figure things out. I don't give up so easily and I actually find the challenge to be rewarding. It gives me something to do and to strive for. And once I find that balance in the tank, I'll have something to celebrate. Until then, the battle must continue!

I could easily just wipe down the algae on the sides of the tank, but I'd rather find a natural method of removing it. At least it's not bad algae and my fish can actually consume it. It's just unsightly. The real reward will be had, when I find out what's actually causing it and what I can do to prevent it.

I think the first step of increasing light for the pigmy sword chains, so they don't get out of hand (and giving myself the ability to grow more/different plants), implementing a co2 dosing regimen (daily), and decreasing my liquid ferts to once per week (if that) should have benefits. I'm also going to start adding more/different tab ferts, which I hope will stimulate faster growth (which will allow the plants to compete for nutrients vs the algae).

I think all of this, coupled with adding a couple of SAEs and a BN pleco will do my tank wonders. Not only will these fish be able to have a smorgasbord of natural (and free) algae, but they'll cut back on the growth, for sure, without damaging the plants.

So, I may be frustrated at times, because I can't figure out an issue... but rest assured, I won't be giving up anytime soon. Also, when it comes to the diseased fish... there might not be anything I can do about it.

As for disease coming from plants? That's always a possibility... I have received several different plants from several different people around the country (and world, actually). However, the Black Phantoms are a strange case. One by one they've been dying off, ever since I got them. I'm fairly certain that it's a just a case of bad breeding/stock.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

0 Not allowed!
    Step 2 is underway. I just purchased 3 SAEs from gunpowderfish.com. They ship on Tuesdays, so I suppose I'll be seeing them next Thursday. Looking forward to seeing the damage these guys can do to algae.

0 Not allowed!
    "However, the Black Phantoms are a strange case. One by one they've been dying off, ever since I got them. I'm fairly certain that it's a just a case of bad breeding/stock".

I've got to agree with you on this. We already disscussed a similer problem I had with Flame tetras of all fish, but I've never been able to keep Green fire tetra's either that I've gotten from the same LFS. I'm going to order some Flames for my 50 gallon from my guy in Oregon and see how they do.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA
    However, the Black Phantoms are a strange case. One by one they've been dying off, ever since I got them. I'm fairly certain that it's a just a case of bad breeding/stock.
    Yup, agreed.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

0 Not allowed!
    Well, aside from bad news, I do have good news, as well - or at least some positive updates.

The Dwarf Lilly I saved from my Rabbit snail in the 10gal Beta tank is already doing quite well in the 75gal. It's sprouted about 3 leaves and I've noticed another one forming already. These grow straight up in a tight bunch of leaves, one growing higher than the other. Eventually, they'll shoot stems all the way up, attempting to breach the surface of the water. The stems can shoot all the way across the tank, when it does this. It provides some interesting obstacles.

Here's the new one in the 75:

Here's a pic of my 10gal tank w/ the Lilly and ridiculous amount of Frog Bit that's grown. It's amazing how much and fast the floating plants grow.

If you look closely, you can see about 6 stems from the Lilly that shoot up to the surface. It's gotten pretty crowded at the surface, due to this little factor and the invasion of Frog Bit.

I thought the roots of the Frog Bit looked pretty cool, though... it seriously created a jungle in my 10gal. If it was medium planted before, it's now heavily planted. My Betta can seriously just sit inbetween the hanging roots and it keeps him floating. lol

Here's a closer look:

The roots might look messy or filled with algae, but that's not it at all. There are a few with diatoms on the left, but the mess of white/yellow you see right there are roots with tiny threads shooting out from the sides - pure root system. Crazy...
    Last edited by KevinVA; 01-25-2013 at 05:05 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    The Red Root Floating plants in my 75gal are also populating like rabbits, and since I added the new light, the roots have actually turned red. I forgot to take a pic of the roots (and it is kind of hard to tell, but they're definitely reddish). I'll try to remember tomorrow, but here's a look at the surface looking down. Almost the entire left & right sides of the tank are covered with floaters.

These have been growing so well, in fact, that they've been developing the tiny flowers that they're known for. They're definitely a pretty plant. Arguably more attractive than the Frog Bit, though much smaller and probably less hardy.

Here's a closer pic of the flowers:

I wish I had a better lense on this camera. This is about as close as I can get to anything, before it blurs up.

Since these floating plants are growing so well, I'm thinking of tossing some, because they're blocking almost all of the light. lol Don't get me wrong, I think they're quite pretty... but my other plants and my substrate are suffering, as a result. I'm pretty sure the lack of light is causing algae to expand on the substrate, anyway... I can't attribute it to liquid ferts, because I rarely dose anymore and it's just begun to grow there.

Anyway, if anyone wants some Frog Bit or Red Root Floaters, just let me know and I'll be happy to send 5 or so your way. Just send me your address and pay for shipping/packaging. I have no doubt that I can keep a healthy population going... and it would be a shame to waste so much as time goes on. Trust me, with the right conditions, you'll only need 5 or so to get a population going.
    Last edited by KevinVA; 01-25-2013 at 05:15 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Oh man, I really want some of those red root floaters. I can't find any where I live! The only (very big) problem? I live on the other side of your northern border...

So maybe not after all...

Page 29 of 197 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979129 ... LastLast