· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 25 of 353 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks steeler, I appreciate it. =] Looking forward to getting started. Just got my tanks yesterday and the stand came in the mail. Already got them set up.

As for my 75gal, I'm still waiting for the driftwood to settle and stay sunk.

Here's a pick of the debacle in progress (I definitely need to trim my Pygmy sword chain plants and move the bigger swords around, while removing the Cabomba & Ludwigia altogether. I'm sick of stems.):

Like I mentioned before, I took out all of the rocks. I'm thinking of using a few for the snail tanks, but I'd still like to utilize them in the 75gal. Just trying to decide which ones to use... I have several to choose from:

I'll probably put the white rock in a snail tank, since it's kind of out of place, anyway. I have visitors over the weekend, so it might take me a while to get started on moving things around, but I'll definitely start setting up my snail tanks. Just waiting on the heaters and deciding what to do for lights. I'd like to keep it somewhat cheap if I can. I don't really want to spend $80 ($40 * 2 sets) for aquarium lights, so I may go the alternative route and grab a couple of clamp on light fixtures and 25+ watt 6500k bulbs from Lowes.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

0 Not allowed!
    I neglected to mention that I've had an outbreak of Camallanus Worms. I'm pretty sure they snuck in on the Shrimp that were eaten. As soon as they were eaten, I recently noticed several fish (still alive) with red threads coming out of their anus. I don't know if any of you have witnessed this or had to deal with it, but from reading online, it's apparently an "Aquarist's Worst Nightmare," since they're nearly impossible to get rid of and spread like wildfire.

Depending on how hardy the fish is, they could live with it or die, so I'm thinking that this could be a link to my Black Phantom Tetras dying... even though they didn't show any signs (red threads out of their anus - which are the worms), they still could have been present in the intestines and stressing them out, making them susceptible to numerous other diseases.

Recently, I noticed two Killifish, one Serpae and one Black Phantom (of the three left) with these threads. At first, I didn't know what to make of it, but after doing some extensive research, I found out it was Camallanus. There's literally no cure, aside from Fenbendazole (which isn't readily available at pet stores). I had to buy it online.

Anyway, you're supposed to soak food in the mixture of the Fenbendazole powder and tank water and administer it through feeding (or a bath). Really, you're supposed to soak the food and dump the water (containing medicine) into the tank.

Well, I just received the medicine yesterday and administered it today. I'm hoping this clears it up. It's supposed to work within the first few hours, and supposedly finish its' course in 36hrs. The red worms are supposed to become paralyzed, lose their grip and float harmlessly to the substrate. It's also supposed to be able to kill the eggs/larvae. Some people dose after 2 weeks, just to be sure the worms are clear, but many have reported that it's not necessary.

I guess we'll see. Just another tick to fish keeping, I suppose... There's always something.

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I got off early at work today and decided to move some things around in the tank, since I had the time. I also did a water change. I removed several pygmy swords and trimmed them all down, so they're not as invasive. I also removed ALL of my Cabomba. I loved the look of the Cabomba, but they're a gigantic pita to take care of. They're just messy, really, and with my current stock, they never seem to stay planted. I also moved one of my Amazon Swords over to the right, toward the back, in front of the heater/filter intake tube.

Unfortunately, my new piece of driftwood is still floating, so I still have a large rock weighting it down. So, I left it there. I plan on adding a few rocks to the tank, but want to wait until the driftwood is finally sunk. Now that I've taken out quite a few plants, I also wanted to move the other piece of driftwood, slightly, so that I can see the other side of it. I've noticed that fish tend to hide there, and I'd like to see the hollowed out area a bit more. It's a slight tilt, but it allows me to get a better view. I also "attached" the two anubias nanas plants to that piece of driftwood in hopes that the roots grow around and grasp it.

So far, I really like the look of it, but unfortunately for pictures... it was pretty messy in there due to me kicking up a lot of sand/mulm.

Here's what I ended up doing:

The whole picture

Here's a closer look of the driftwood with anubias in there:

Sorry about the fuzziness... that's a lot of dirt floating around in there.

I don't think I've posted a pic of my newest member, but here's Mr. Opaline Gourami - The Notorious Pooper. This guy has the most active digestive tract I've ever seen in a fish. I think he'd give a Pleco a run for his money. He never stops eating algae and then he eats flakes/pellets to boot. I expect that he's going to grow quickly.

He's an awesome fish... love this guy.

As for the rest of the inhabitants - everyone, except for one Black Phantom, is doing well. Now that the GBRs have killed the other Cichlids things have calmed down. They no longer chase everyone and the male only chases the female every once in a while. I suppose I'll keep them. ;] They're quite interesting, anyway. I'll have to try a dwarf cichlid tank (without rams) some other time.

And the tank? Well, I'm getting close to a look that I want, but I'm getting sick of looking at the algae. Plus, my new driftwood is now covered in slime... the entire thing. It's disgusting. I just hope that it turns into brown gunk that's more easily removed, relatively soon.

That being said, tonight I started to administer CO2. I already ordered a 2nd T5HO fixture (which I hope will aid in limiting the growth of the pygmy swords), and the CO2 + higher light should do well for the plants that I have and the plants I intend to add.

I plan on adding a rock and either a Tiger Lotus or a Dwarf Lilly to the right side of the tank, in front of the Amazon sword. I'm going to remove the remaining Ludwigia stems, as well, and place 2-3 rocks over to the left side, under the new driftwood. This will occur once it's sunk. I just want to be able to create some additional hiding spots and a possible cave. I may remove the pygmy swords altogether and add a few shorter plants to the front and mid ground, but I'm not sure yet. I'll have to look around.

Oh, to end this post, I wanted to give you a taste of the Dwarf Lilly and how well it's grown since I added it. The before picture is taken about a week after adding it. The after picture is taken about a week ago. I've only had it about a month and it's grown like crazy. Right now, the Lilly reaches all the way to the top of the tank and actually has one lying on the surface of the water. There's another stem shooting up already. This thing has grown so fast in the 10gal and I love the way it looks.

Here it is:

My Betta loves to lie on top of the leaves when he's chilling and under them for cover. I accidentally scared him today, when I dropped the lid to its' resting position. He darted right under the lilly and hid there for a while and swam through the stems/leaves while peaking out from them. It was cute. ;] He emerged, of course, when he noticed some food. haha

Until next time!

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny 
    Thanks for all the good info lately--have a donut! - WhistlingBadger Congrats on 7,800 posts! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Returning some of the treasure you've brought to the forum. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    We ALL need more fish.  That's why we're here! - WhistlingBadger T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF Lee :-) - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Nice looking Gourami, I always liked that species best next to the Pearl.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Steeler. I really love the colors on them. Can't wait to see him get bigger. =]

So, as soon as the lights went on in the tank today, I noticed something... Assassin Snails are not prejudice when it comes to eating snails. *sigh*

It looks like Nerites aren't safe in the tank, either... neither are much larger pond snails (or whatever it was that I had in there). I found an empty shell of a larger snail and found two Assassins eating two different Horned Nerite snails.

This is the right side of my tank... I helped this little Nerite yesterday, when he fell on his back and struggled to get up. It was a bad mistake to just sit on the substrate, instead of climb on the wall. Maybe his falling on his back was a sign of his getting older and weak... I don't know. It's something I've read, anyway, but then it could have been the result of my moving things around yesterday.

This one was on the left side of my tank, under the sponge filter. You can see the empty pond snail shell on the right/front. That was bigger than the Assassins and lived for a good while without any problem. I guess since the little pond snails are all gone, it's time to take out the big guys. Poor little nerites turned into Assassin food. =/

It's a nice picture of my inquisitive GBR, too (and the mess that's by my filter, which I didn't notice during my w/c yesterday). =]

So, now I'm stuck with a few of options for algae control:
    1. Finally get my nutrient/light balance under control - which I'm working on, now.

2. Stick with plecos, since those are literally the only things that would work in this tank.

3. Get a single or school of Siamese Algae Eaters (might be a little tight in the tank, since you need about 5-6 of these 6inchers for a school, though).
    I can't get Otos, because my Killifish will eat them. I can't get shrimp, because my Killifish will eat them (I think my Gourami probably would, too). I can't get Nerite snails (or any other snail, for that matter), or my Assassin snails will eat them. I don't think I'll be able to do an American Flag Fish, because I'm certain my Killifish will have territorial disputes with it.

Need to do some more research.
    Last edited by KevinVA; 01-01-2013 at 05:09 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    After thinking about my stocking plans, I'm going to change things up a bit:

I currently have 9 Serpae Tetras, 3 Black Phantom Tetras, 3 Golden Wonder Killifish, 2 German Blue Rams, 1 Opaline Gourami & 5 Assassin Snails (assuming the remaining Nerite snails will become food).

One of my Black Phantom Tetras is about to die... It's starting to behave like the others that died (and there's no sign of worms, so it's not that). Also, the fish that did/do have Callamanus worms never behaved like this - in fact the Golden Wonders were fine. After treatment and 24hrs, one Golden Wonder lost its' worms. The bigger female still has hers... so I'm might dose again at the end of the week.

I plan on adding 3 more Serpae Tetras to expand their school/shoal and compensate for the loss of Black Phantoms. Then I'm going to add a Striped Raphael Catfish, a Bristlenose Pleco, and 5 Siamese Algae Eaters.

According to AQ advisor, that puts my stocking level at 99% and filtration at 114%, with recommended 33% weekly water changes. They don't account for plants and I typically change about 50% of my water per week, so that should be good. I'm also expecting that the Black Phantoms will probably end up dying (like the rest), which will give me a little more leeway at 97% stocking and 117% filtration. I don't plan on replacing them when they do.

If anyone knows anything about keeping Siamese Algae Eaters, please let me know. If keeping a single SAE is fine, that's the route I'd rather take... but if a school is a must, then I'll make do.

Cool

0 Not allowed!
    Your tank has come on in leaps and bounds since page 1. Very nice.

It's a shame about the stem plants though! I know they're higher maintenance...but worth it if you can get them established. Perhaps you'll consider retrying now you have CO2 injection?

Is that green algae on the back and sides of your tank? Is it an "alternative" background?
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Firefly!

lol, yeah that's green algae on the sides/back. It wasn't meant to be an alternative background, but it's useful for feeding different fish. I've noticed my GBRs and Gourami all pick at it (and my Apistos used to). Plus, I was going for Nerite snails, but it looks like that's not happening. It'll still be good for the Pleco and SAEs, though.

I was trying to be pretty low maintenance before and didn't even attempt CO2, but I'm getting tired of wilting, algae-covered plants, so I'm going to step up my game. haha I don't mind the background/sides, but I'd like healthy looking plants. =]

The Cabomba and Ludwigia stems I had were doing quite well for about 3+ months, but once I started trimming... I was doing it wrong and ended up killing the majority of them. Since they started dying, they were getting leaves all over the place and just turning into mulm pretty quickly. That's why I decided to nix them altogether. Depending on how things go, I may try them (or something similar) later.

0 Not allowed!
    Well, in case I can coax you back to stems...hygrophilia is a prolific grower and very hard to kill. I think it's the hardiest thing in my tank
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    Very pretty, too. I just took a look at some pics. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks again. =]

Page 25 of 353 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast