· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 23 of 353 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass 
    TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny Thanks for all the good info lately--have a donut! - WhistlingBadger Congrats on 7,800 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Returning some of the treasure you've brought to the forum. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 We ALL need more fish.  That's why we're here! - WhistlingBadger T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF Lee :-) - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb TGIF - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Cardinals are the harder of the two to breed and so plentiful in the wild that most of the cardinals we get are wild. They have even established colonies in the holding areas where they escaped from further from their original locations.

Of course we now have the so called "Gold" cardinals and Albinos, which for me ruins the fish IMO because their bright color's are aften compared to Marine fish.

The Serpae have been bred for centries so almost all the stock we see today are from farms. I read an article a couple of years ago that somebody rediscovered their original location and imported them again to breed with captive stock to make them stronger. Although the Black Phantom was first imported in 1956 it has proved so easy to breed that most of these we see are also tank bred and raised.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

“Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

0 Not allowed!
    I think that neon disease was established when we still had some wild caughts on the market. These days I can buy a neon for 85 cents

Advantage of farmed fish is far less risk of hitchikers. Advantage of wild caught is that you, more and more, are actively supporting the preservation of habitat.

0 Not allowed!
    That's very interesting info. Thanks Steeler. So, in theory (and probably practicality), Cardinals are probably some of the most hardy of tetras. Something to consider for future stocking. They're very pretty, too. If I do another planted tank, I might keep a school of those.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass 
    TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny Thanks for all the good info lately--have a donut! - WhistlingBadger Congrats on 7,800 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Returning some of the treasure you've brought to the forum. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 We ALL need more fish.  That's why we're here! - WhistlingBadger T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF Lee :-) - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb TGIF - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie
    I think that neon disease was established when we still had some wild caughts on the market. These days I can buy a neon for 85 cents

Advantage of farmed fish is far less risk of hitchikers. Advantage of wild caught is that you, more and more, are actively supporting the preservation of habitat.
    It was not brought in by wild fish but by this:

Pleistophora hyphessobryconis gets into the aquarium fish through accidental ingestion. Under aquarium conditions this is most commonly some sort of scavenging or cannibalism, the parasites inside a dead fish being consumed by a healthy fish. Once inside the gut the parasite spreads throughout the fish’s body and eventually gets into the skeletal muscles where it matures. Eventually the parasites produce large numbers of spores, and when the host fish is eaten by a predator or consumed by a scavenger after death, the spores are then able to get into new fish.

Did'nt mean to hyjack your thread Kevin.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

“Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

0 Not allowed!
    That's not a problem. I think it's important/interesting information. I couldn't figure out what was destroying my fish until last night. If you can figure out the cause, you can at least keep it from infecting other fish. Looks like removing my two Phantoms, when they first exhibited symptoms was a good idea, so they don't get picked on or consumed.

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

0 Not allowed!
    A few updates:

I received my Horned Nerite Snails (10 of them) yesterday. I acclimated them and added them to the tank. I'm hoping all of them are ok, but there are about 4 that aren't moving. The rest are on their way to ridding my tank of algae. I'm hoping that they're just timid and will start moving around soon... though, I'm expecting that they died.

My Opaline Gourami has become much more comfortable in the tank and even came out to say hello during a water change today. I'm happy to see that he's playing nicely with the others and making full use of the tank.

My GBRs are doing quite well and have excellent colors. I tried getting some shots of them again, but my camera work was pretty shoddy, so I'll have to update with pics tomorrow. I definitely need a new lens for my Lumix DMZ-G2. I'm a noob with DSLR cameras, so maybe it's just user error.

The GBRs also get along quite well with my Apistos. They don't act very territorial with each other, yet, so I'm hoping they remain friendly. Of course, it could be that they're both still quite young and haven't matured to the point of becoming territorial. For now, I'm enjoying the peace. =]

I also just received my new floating plants. I received 10 or so Red Root Floater plants and the guy I purchased from threw in about 5 Frog Bit plants (also floaters). I've purchased from him on Aquabid before and he always throws in a little extra to spark your interest in other things. Very friendly guy - he goes by "P_volitan" on there, if you ever need high quality plants. He's where I got my Pigmy Chain Sword Plants, as well.

Anywho, since he sent two types of floaters, I decided to add the Frog Bit to my 10gal and use the Red Roots in my 75gal. They both look great, but I'm a little concerned with the water flow in the 75. It's a little fast, so the Red Roots are circling one side of the tank at a slow pace. lol My Killies have taken to them and are hiding within them, but I'm not sure how long that's going to last, when the chance of them being hit by one of the floaters is pretty good.

So you don't feel slighted, I took a couple of pics of my 10gal's Red Dwarf Lilly.

As you can see, it's quite large now. It started off as a small bulb with two leaves right above the substrate. Crazy how fast it grew. As you can also see, I have a big algae problem in this tank. lol That is the reason for my investing in different fertilizers, CO2 additives and Horned Nerite snails. ;]

My betta loves to hang around the Lilly, as well. Got a pic of him turning. His tail is so colorful. Glad I went for the Blue Crown Tail. =]

0 Not allowed!
    Kevin don't worry, The Red Spotted Nerites in my tank don't move for hours but when they do, say goodbye to any algae in your tank. That is not an overstatement either. lol
    Also, when I introduced them into the tank they laid dormant for hours, they are just adapting to their new environment.

0 Not allowed!
    Looks like my 4 Nerite snails were dead... They didn't move since I got them. At least the other 6 are alive and well, eating everything in sight.

I had even MORE bad news today...

First, my German Blue Rams are alive and well, and probably too well. The male seems to have "matured," in that it chases everything in its' site and has become the most territorial thing in the tank.

Second, the other day I noticed that my male Apisto was hiding in the rock cave. I couldn't find him last night, so figured he must be in there again. Last night I did find the female, but she was hiding behind the driftwood.

Today, I found my male dead, upside down in the Pygmy Sword Chain plants, with his mouth dramatically drawn open. ;/ This was after I had done a water change last night. I tried figuring out what the problem was, but he had nothing physically wrong with him...

After giving him a proper toilet burial, I decided to watch my tank. I had fed the fish not that long ago, so they were settling into their normal routine. It was then, that I saw the male GBR chasing everything. He was chasing Serpaes, chasing the Killifish, chasing the female GBR, chasing the Black Phantoms and being a regular jerk. I surmised that he was the cause of death for the more tame Apisto, even though he was a slightly smaller fish.

I tried looking for the female Apisto and found her, after a while, hiding alongside the rock cave. I noticed she had a sore on her belly, but it wasn't long before she fled somewhere and hid. Now I can't seem to find her again.

I don't know why the GBR is acting this way, because it's 75gal tank. I would imagine a smaller tank being a problem, but there seems to be enough hiding places, between the plants, rocks and driftwood to deter this territorial dispute between Cichlids.

So far, I haven't seen him chase the Gourami, which I'm happy about. He was the newest addition and will be the largest fish in the tank. I'm hoping that once he grows, he'll be intimidating and keep everyone in their place.

I'd hate to return the GBR, because I actually have GBRs that are surviving. lol This is a rarity...

That being said, I'd hate to have two types of bullies in the tank (the killifish and the GBR), preventing me from adding beautiful fish, merely because they'll stress them to death. Ugh...

I was hoping my new driftwood would have arrived by now, so I could rearrange some things, but it looks like it hasn't even mailed yet. I received the shipping notification, but it's still marked as "Electronic Shipping Info Received" still. I contacted the company and haven't heard back. ;/ Now I'm getting worried...

Ugh again...

This is so disconcerting.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    well drat. Sorry about the snails and the Apisto. And you're right. It doesn't make sense that the GBR in a tank the size of 75 would be so territorial that he thinks he need the entire tank- but then cichlids often don't have to have a reason. They just do.
    Perhaps it's the mix of species that is causing the problem? You've got too many territorial fish populating the bottom area of the tank? My GBR (got a female for the male to replace the one I lost) seems to only chase her - the only other cichlid in the tank. All else are tetras or corys. Yet you said he's chasing your serpaes too so maybe he got a taste for bullying.
    Any way to rearrange the landscape a bit so he has to claim new territory? Maybe he'll get preoccupied with protecting it.
    Given that GBR's have a life expectancy of around 2 years, you may have to make a decision about whether it's worth putting up with his bullying if other fish are going to end up casualties.

Good luck
    Last edited by fishmommie; 12-21-2012 at 02:37 AM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Cindy. I'm pretty mad about this... because the Apistos were really my favorite additions. Loved their colors and their temperament. I can't believe the GBRs can be so nasty... Maybe I should have opted for Bolivians.

I'm pretty sure the snails died prior to arrival. It took three days for them to get here and there wasn't a whole lot of water in the bag they came in. Not sure if that's normal or not, but it seemed like a little low for aquatic snails.

I could rearrange some things. I might turn around the driftwood, so I can see behind it better. I had planned on rearranging the rocks, too, so they look more natural, but I was going to do that when the larger piece of driftwood arrived. Unfortunately, the place I purchased from is dicking me around.

Page 23 of 353 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast