· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 214 of 344 FirstFirst ... 114164204212213214215216224264314 ... LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,140 of 3433

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 
    Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz 
    In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 

1 Not allowed!
    ::gasp:: Cindy said it out loud!? Say it ain't so...must have been a typo...damn auto correct right?

2. Default

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Ex-squeeze me, but we never say those words out loud here...understand??
    Yikes. I've been properly chastized! Fish Flakes credo:Never say never need fish. Got it.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the help and advice - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass 
    Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady 
    Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 
    Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    Yikes. I've been properly chastized! Fish Flakes credo:Never say never need fish. Got it.
    Next round is on you! Make us drink enough to forget!
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

2 Not allowed!
    Well, the local guy at Batfish Aquatics tried ordering me a L204, but he received something that didn't even resemble a L204, so I had to go a different route. I decided to just order one from Gunpowder Aquatics. The L204 is the Flash Pleco. I really didn't want to settle on the L052 (Butterfly or Flounder pleco), which was my other option. It's a nice looking pleco, but I kept going back to L204... just really like the looks of that one and didn't want to settle for something I wouldn't be completely happy with. So, order in. I'm risking it with Priority 2-3 day, but it's coming from Florida, so hopefully that means just 2-day. =X Didn't want to spend another $45 for shipping. Priority is $20.

Other than that, I asked the Batfish guy to just get me the female Apistos I need and he'll bring those to the May meeting (this weekend). So, I'm about to round out my stocking in the 75gal.

Speaking of which, I was taking a head count the other day. I noticed that I'm missing about 2 Rummynose Tetras. No idea how that happened or where they went, but I'm thinking that when they were a tad smaller, something got a couple. Probably the Raph cats again. I'm surprised I didn't notice until now, but it is really difficult to get a head count. The BRBs are sitting at 19 and the Rummys at 18 (I think). It was either 18 or 17, but I'm pretty sure it's 18. Everyone else is accounted for.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Awards Showcase

I don't like to drink alone..... Cheers - Cliff because they rock! and for showing them to me. - cm12setx Here's to retirement! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the videos and great advice on restocking my dual 29s! - gronlaura for tirelessly showing beautiful, various fish - RiversGirl 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF on the 13th with a full moon. - Taurus Spurs! - RiversGirl Here's a get well soon beer, so get well ASAP. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    feelin your pain - SeaLady Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass Beer reduces kidney stones! - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx. Have another on me! - pRED 
    Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Thats to bad about the Rummy nose, always something looking to make a meal of small fish.

Glad you could find the pleco you wanted, I keep meaning to give GA a shot but need to get that new tank first, LOL!!
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

6. Default

1 Not allowed!
    The Flash pleco is gorgeous. I can see why you'd want to hold out for it. Fingers crossed on shipping!
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah you do, Lee! I've been pleased with GA so far. Really looking forward to my new arrival. =]

Thanks Cindy, appreciate it. And I completely agree... love the Flash Pleco. Why settle, right?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Awards Showcase

One back at you! - steeler58 Never too late to drink to the fallen. - KevinVA Have another tetras for the new tank - steeler58 Have another tetra, you need more fish anyway :) - steeler58 Good advice on the Flame tetra, I can't rep you any more, so have a "cherry barb" - steeler58 
    Now you have 15! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Have a Cory!! - steeler58 Good Luck - pRED Sorry about the betta - Slaphppy7 
    to your next Betta - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Chin-up - Cliff sorry for your loss. - cm12setx T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Enjoy the 4th my friend! - Taurus Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 

0 Not allowed!
    Can't wait to see that baby cruising your tank! I've never seen one before you brought it up. What an impressive fish.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Cliff Happy Holidays! - Rue Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 
    Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 
    Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Gorgeous pleco.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin and Regular Fin Zebra Danios
    My Dual 29 gals, finally ready for fish - Tank 1 - Amano Shrimp, Black Neon Tetras, Tank 2 - Diamond Tetras, Amano Shrimp

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

1 Not allowed!
    Same here! I'm a little perturbed with my tank at the moment, though. Not sure what I should do with it. Nothing is growing the way I want it to and algae is still a problem, despite my using injected co2. I just did a large dose of metricide last night (in combination with co2) and I also switched up my lighting schedule to fight this stuff.

I just bought this book: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/076...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's from 2003, so there's not much about LED lighting, but the principles remain the same. I was perusing through some of it last night and I picked up some things while reading, especially about certain plant species. I read some stuff I already know, but several things I didn't... and some things I've heard through the grapevine, but haven't followed the advice of, yet.

Anyway, I made some changes:

First, I trimmed all of the stalks of my Tiger Lotus. In order to keep it short and display the leaves, submerged, you're not supposed to allow any leaves to surface. Hopefully I can make this work out. If I can, it should look pretty cool where it is. Otherwise, I can remove the mother plant and start over with one of the plantlets (I have about 4 of them in the tank, now). This thing grows ridiculously well in the tank.

Second, I changed my lighting schedule. I had it on for 8hrs straight for the day and that's it. While that's good for plants, it's also good for algae. The suggestion from this book is to actually increase the photo period to 10hrs, as that would mimic natural lighting from the Sun, which is perfect for plants. However, to combat algae, you should split the day up. So, 5hrs on, 1-2hrs off, 5hrs on. Plants can adapt to the lighting schedule and photosynthesize on the fly, but the more simplistic algaes cannot. They require longer, uninterrupted photo periods to flourish.

They also recommend that during this photo period, you should stagger the light intensity (which is also natural, is beneficial to the plants and to the fish). So, here's how I have my timing set to:

At 9am, one of my lights will turn on. At 10am, the other light will turn on. At 2pm, one of my lights will turn off and then at 3pm the other will turn off. Then at 4pm, one light will turn on, followed by the other light at 5pm. Then at 9pm, one of the lights will turn off and the other will turn off at 10pm.

I'm going to see how this lighting regimen goes for a week or two. If things remain unchanged, I'm going to increase the mid-day break to 2hrs of blackout, instead of 1. The staggering should reduce any fish stress that might occur from the flashing on/off of the very bright lighting and should relieve some stress on the plants, as well, in addition to interrupting the algae's ability to photosynthesize.

Meanwhile, I'm still going forward with the EI dosing method and I actually increased my CO2 injection to about 3 drops per second. I had the setting at only about 1 over the last week or two... which seemed fine, because the drop checker was green, but I didn't notice any real growth in plants. I raised it to 3dps the other day and the checker remains green. Not sure if I should increase it any more, but we'll see how that goes. I may refresh the drop checker with new tank water & solution, because something may be off. Always good to double-check. Wouldn't want to harm the fish.

I've also been thinking about switching out the circulation pump with some kind of glass/ceramic reactor/diffuser for co2 injection. I feel like the pump creates too much turbulence and its placement kind of sucks, because it's right in back of the stem plants (and they're pretty much all stem plants). It's literally pushing some of the stems over onto the driftwood, which isn't any good.

Page 214 of 344 FirstFirst ... 114164204212213214215216224264314 ... LastLast