· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 353 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by es31710
    IMO stocking if I were to do it would be something like
    x5 Clown Killifish
    x20 Serpae Tetra (better and less nippy in a bigger group)
    x1 Whatever Pleco you want
    x3 German Blue Rams
    x8 emerald green cories ( better in big groups)
    To me the gourami would not do well with those fish
    Wow, I haven't seen the Clown Killifish before, just the Golden variety. They look great.

For the GBRs, is that a 1 male to 2 female ratio?

I'll keep all of this in mind. Thanks es. I kept a Dwarf Gourami with 4 Serpae's before and they all left each other alone. I'd like to try another one. Love those fish - very interesting/beautiful. If it doesn't work out, I could always re-home or trade it in for something else. Do you think the GBRs would be the problem?
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I added the new dual-bulb T5 HO fixture last week and it's amazing what a difference it makes in lighting. I don't think you can really tell by the picture, but you can certainly see how fast my plants are growing. Some of the Cabomba are nearly 1/3 larger in size, reaching for the top of the tank. I think I'm going to let the Ludwigia wrap at the top, in order to provide some top cover, but we'll see how that works out.

It seems the better light brings out the black bg a little more, as well, which makes the plants pop better.

On a very happy note, I was finally able to get my Nitrate levels down. It took me about 4 water changes - 3 big ones and a slightly smaller 4th. I'm fairly certain that my fertz have a little to do with that, since they add a little Nitrogen to the tank. I could be wrong, but it's something I've read about. That, combined with the cycle...

So, after having done the last water change yesterday, my readings are:
    0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, 5 Nitrates. Perfect for fish, so I'll be shopping in the next day or so.

Petsmart gets their new stock in on Wednesdays, and since that's the only LFS in the area, that's where I'll be going on Wednesday.

I'm going to start off by adding my Tetras. I'm going to try with the original 10 Serpae + 10 Black Skirt (or Phantom - still undecided) plan. Wednesday's the day!

In the meantime, I have many annoying pond snails that are overtaking the tank and continuing to destroy my plants and lay eggs. I'm thinking about ordering a couple of assassin snails tonight and deal with the prob. ;/

You know, you just want to be nice to these dumb snails in the beginning and you tolerate their presence (even liking them to a certain degree), but NOOOoOoOoooOoo, they have to go out of their way to become pests.

I suppose it's time to intervene.

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

0 Not allowed!
    Wonderful! I can't wait to get my double T5 set up in. :) The Assassins will def do the job for you. I had one in my 55 and he did his job well.
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 2 Conga Tetras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I believe I finally fleshed out my 75gal stock and I'm going to stick with it.

Week 1:
    10 x Serpae Tetras
    10 x Black Skirt (or Phantom) Tetras
    2 x Assassin Snails

Week 4:
    4 x Golden Killifish

Week 5:
    3 x German Blue Rams
    1 x Paradise Fish or Opaline Gourami

Week 8 (maybe split it up between 2 weeks - 8 & 9):
    8 x False Julii Cory Cats
    1 x Bristlenose Pleco

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA
    Well, I believe I finally fleshed out my 75gal stock and I'm going to stick with it.

Week 1:
    10 x Serpae Tetras
    10 x Black Skirt (or Phantom) Tetras
    2 x Assassin Snails

Week 4:
    4 x Golden Killifish

Week 5:
    3 x German Blue Rams
    1 x Paradise Fish or Opaline Gourami

Week 8 (maybe split it up between 2 weeks - 8 & 9):
    8 x False Julii Cory Cats
    1 x Bristlenose Pleco
    Wow Kevin. The tank looks great!. Your stocking list looks interesting too. I have serpaes and I love them.
    Had one experience with a Paradise Fish - he was gorgeous but he was a mean sucker. :o( Had to take him back. Watch him carefully and make sure the LFS is willing to let you return him. He did not play well with others. If I ever get another, I'll have him in a tank by himself.
    My BNP is a great fish - he's an albino and still a baby but so active and visible all the time.
    Want some Rams but that probably won't happen.
    Oh - and in my 30 gal I have 3 dwarf Gouramis with my tetras (8 colombians and 5 serpaes) - no problems so far .... but I watch them just in case.

BTW - my 90 is stocked! I posted some photos on my journal if you want to check them out.

Good luck!
    Last edited by fishmommie; 09-18-2012 at 12:26 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Fishmommie!

Yeah, I think the Paradise Fish is a gamble, but they really are beautiful fish, so I want to give it a shot. If he doesn't work out, I'll try returning him and get an Opaline. If THAT doesn't work out... maybe an Angel. And if THAT doesn't work (lol)... well, maybe I'll try out an Apistogramma. Actually, the Apisto would be my favorite over the Angel. Perhaps a pair of those. They supposedly do alright with Rams.

I'm glad to hear your BN is active. So many people say they hide all the time. I think if you give them the right home to be comfortable in, they should be pretty present.

Wow, good luck with the 3 Gouramis. All males, or did you do 1 M to 2 F ratio? I'm willing to bet the Gouramis and Tetras leave each other alone. I had 3 Serpaes with a Dwarf Gourami in my 10gal and they did just that. Everyone warns about Serpaes, but the only aggression I've ever seen was toward each other - no other fish, yet.

Looking forward to seeing your 90gal journal. I'll take a look tonight. =]

Thanks for stopping by!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Fishmommie!

Yeah, I think the Paradise Fish is a gamble, but they really are beautiful fish, so I want to give it a shot. If he doesn't work out, I'll try returning him and get an Opaline. If THAT doesn't work out... maybe an Angel. And if THAT doesn't work (lol)... well, maybe I'll try out an Apistogramma. Actually, the Apisto would be my favorite over the Angel. Perhaps a pair of those. They supposedly do alright with Rams.

>>The Paradise Fish are prettiest when they're all revved up. Mine was ALWAYS pretty LOL. I bought a blue/silver marbled angel for my 90. He is one gorgeous fish. Whatever you chose, I'm sure you'll enjoy them>>

I'm glad to hear your BN is active. So many people say they hide all the time. I think if you give them the right home to be comfortable in, they should be pretty present.
    >>My little guy is out and about all the time. Rarely do I ever have to look for him when I'm doing my daily fish count. Never thought I'd say this about a pleco - but he's soooo cute. >>

Wow, good luck with the 3 Gouramis. All males, or did you do 1 M to 2 F ratio? I'm willing to bet the Gouramis and Tetras leave each other alone. I had 3 Serpaes with a Dwarf Gourami in my 10gal and they did just that. Everyone warns about Serpaes, but the only aggression I've ever seen was toward each other - no other fish, yet.

>>The 3 gouramis - all male - were my first fish purchase when I was a NOB and didn't know any better. But I've got to tell you - all the horror stories I've heard haven't happened. Yet. I've had them for 7 months. 2 of them are big guys - 2 1/2 inches at least. Every once in a while they do a little wiggle dance but I've never seen them nip or chase each other or any other fish in the tank for that matter. If I do sense a little dust up in the wind ... I just rearrange the furniture (plants, rocks, bog wood, crock, etc) so they all have to concentrate on establishing new territory instead of being miffed with each other. So far, it's working.>>
    Looking forward to seeing your 90gal journal. I'll take a look tonight. =]

>>Photos aren't the greatest because they were still hiding. I'll post better ones when they get over being shy.>>

Thanks for stopping by!
    << Will be eager to see your tank stocked. >>
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails

0 Not allowed!
    Well, for some reason my Trates spiked up from 5ppm to 10ppm or 20ppm (can't remember what it was) yesterday. I suppose it could have been from my dosing with 1ppm ammonia and the addition of some liquid fertz, but I also saw some decaying plant matter where my new stock of Ludwigia was planted.

I did some grooming/pruning down there and removed a decaying stem, a few decaying and loose leaves and left it for the night. I haven't dosed with ammonia since yesterday morning and I just tested the Trates again and it was at 10ppm.

Soo, I did another small (about 10 gallons) water change and tested again. This time it looked like it was between 10-20 again (with nothing added - only a few more loose leaves removed). Just to make sure, I used a new test tube, with new bottles of Nitrate testing solution. This time it came back 10ppm.

I think 10ppm is decent enough for fish, so I'm going to try stocking my Tetras tonight and keep an eye on the trates over the next couple of days. It's pretty irritating that they keep rising for no apparent reason.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, for some reason my Trates spiked up from 5ppm to 10ppm or 20ppm (can't remember what it was) yesterday. I suppose it could have been from my dosing with 1ppm ammonia and the addition of some liquid fertz, but I also saw some decaying plant matter where my new stock of Ludwigia was planted.

I did some grooming/pruning down there and removed a decaying stem, a few decaying and loose leaves and left it for the night. I haven't dosed with ammonia since yesterday morning and I just tested the Trates again and it was at 10ppm.

Soo, I did another small (about 10 gallons) water change and tested again. This time it looked like it was between 10-20 again (with nothing added - only a few more loose leaves removed). Just to make sure, I used a new test tube, with new bottles of Nitrate testing solution. This time it came back 10ppm.

I think 10ppm is decent enough for fish, so I'm going to try stocking my Tetras tonight and keep an eye on the trates over the next couple of days. It's pretty irritating that they keep rising for no apparent reason.
    I think you're right. 10 is good for stocking as long as you're ammonia and trites are 0. You're good to go. Go get them fishies!

0 Not allowed!
    I am so excited to see your first fish for the tank!!!

That tank is beautiful, and is just begging for fish. :)
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 2 Conga Tetras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

Page 2 of 353 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast