About a year ago, I set up my first Tanganyikan tank (20 gal) with four cichlids and a plecostomus. The four cichlid, suggested by a local, high quality shop, were Neolamprologus brichardi, Neolamprologus multifasciatus, Altolamprologus calvus (inkspot), and Neolamprologus marunguensis. Generally, they tend to keep to themselves in their own hideouts without interacting too much. Today, I noticed that the area where the brichardi hangs out is swarming with 10-20 very small fry and 2-3 larger fry. The adult seems to be protective of that corner of the tank.

Is this a normal occurrence? Do the different species ever successfully mate? Was this a virgin spawning?! ;)

Now that some of the adults have grown a little and there seem to be an abundance of young ones about, I'm tempted to move forward on my plan to get a larger tank (50-75 gal). Does anyone have suggestions on how to divide the species? Just toss them all in, have a large brichardi-only tank, or have a large multi-species tank and a small brichardi-only one?