· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Have just spoken with My OH (she popped home for lunch)
    The Rusties are not coming out much with the tank light on, it is not a bright light...they are hiding in the rocks and popping out and darting between hiding spots.

Is this because they are new and settling in? or is is because there are only 6 of them in the tank?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by y2blade
    Have just spoken with My OH (she popped home for lunch)
    The Rusties are not coming out much with the tank light on, it is not a bright light...they are hiding in the rocks and popping out and darting between hiding spots.

Is this because they are new and settling in? or is is because there are only 6 of them in the tank?

Any thoughts^^^^

I'm now home and have turned the fish tank light off, 5mins later they are all out and swimming around in their little gang.
    Again I hasten to add my light isn't bright at all.

I've now set the timer for the main light to come on for just a couple of hours around lunchtime tomorrow, then will have it come of for 4hours around midday on Thurs and Fri...see if they get used to it.

Will add more fish Friday afternoon, planning on getting the Aceis and Yellow Labs at the same time.

sound ok?
    Last edited by y2blade; 09-11-2012 at 05:28 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    They'll take a bit of time to get settled into their new environment. The more you turn the light on, the more they will start to get used it. You'll probably find that when the light first comes on, that they will duck back into the rocks for a little while, everytime. I've had the bunch of Africans that I have now, for about 4 years, and they still do that. I find that once the light is on, and I move away from the tank for a while, they eventually come out, once they realize that everything is safe. You might also find that once you add the Aceis, the rest of your cichlids will venture out a bit more, because the Aceis tend to swim around in the top third of the tank, and the others will see that as being a sign of that area of water to be safer to move into.

It sounds like you have everything else under control, and your plan is fine!
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you for the reassurance.

I promise I will get a picture of the tank (and the lovely little Rusties) with the light on for you guys once they are ready to come out and say hi......without the light on all you can see is my reflection in the glass

Will keep you guys posted.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks ecsamosa for clearing that up. I thought that was referring to all mbuna's.

y2blade......I thought you were stocking for the first time. Sorry.

0 Not allowed!
    Determining the gender of immature or juvenile monomorphic mbuna species can be challenging (their small size can make venting hard and the subtle gender differences are under-developed); good luck sorting out the males from the females from this group of acei juveniles:

Still, the fish themselves seem able to accurately sense the genders of their peers; rival immature males may be tempted to square off with each other to establish dominance, a cue to their gender.

Quote Originally Posted by escamosa
    ...The aggression can appear as chasing or the odd fight, which will look like the two fish are spinning around in a circle nose to tail...
    Here's an example of that:

Some hobbyists start off with a larger than intended group (~7-8) and then extract excess males as their genders are revealed (ultimately keeping the last one or two, thereby constructing a 1:3 male:female gender ratio, with the final group size being smaller than the start).

From my experience most acei's are very mild, aggressive-wise, I've never seen male vs male aggression between them, even when the males comprised nearly half of the acei population until they attained 5"+ inches (and even then it was more of visual displays or being 'pushy' with no real physical contact). With that said, I've heard of at least one hobbyist who's alpha fish in their mbuna tank was an acei so the fish's personality and that of its peers will have significant bearing.
    African cichlid and saltwater aquariums

http://www.rowelab.com/AquaControlle...9&scope=last24

0 Not allowed!
    LOLOL What a video. Those Labs made me dizzy.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    Thanks ecsamosa for clearing that up. I thought that was referring to all mbuna's.

y2blade......I thought you were stocking for the first time. Sorry.
    No problem at all

To be fair to you I'd been reading back through pages of old posts, with uncountable cases of new tanks having a ton of Mbuna thrown in then the fish keepers posting up with health problems.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kaybee
    Determining the gender of immature or juvenile monomorphic mbuna species can be challenging (their small size can make venting hard and the subtle gender differences are under-developed); good luck sorting out the males from the females from this group of acei juveniles:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...aceijuvies.jpg

Still, the fish themselves seem able to accurately sense the genders of their peers; rival immature males may be tempted to square off with each other to establish dominance, a cue to their gender.

Here's an example of that:

Some hobbyists start off with a larger than intended group (~7-8) and then extract excess males as their genders are revealed (ultimately keeping the last one or two, thereby constructing a 1:3 male:female gender ratio, with the final group size being smaller than the start).

From my experience most acei's are very mild, aggressive-wise, I've never seen male vs male aggression between them, even when the males comprised nearly half of the acei population until they attained 5"+ inches (and even then it was more of visual displays or being 'pushy' with no real physical contact). With that said, I've heard of at least one hobbyist who's alpha fish in their mbuna tank was an acei so the fish's personality and that of its peers will have significant bearing.

Thanks I've read a few people saying Aceis are so well tempered (for Mbunas) that sexing them isn't really an issue as male vs male fighting doesn't really happen with them.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    too add:
    I really enjoyed watching the Rustie gang feeding again this morning, I nearly ended up running late for work