· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by escamosa
    With the Rusties, I would say that you could get away with 2 males and 6 females. I would never really recommend anyone having multiple males in tanks on the smallish side for mbunas, but with Rusties, I'm pretty comfortable with the idea. They're smaller than the others, and they're very relaxed for Africans, but you will have to expect a little bit of aggression within the group of Rusties, if you go with 2 males. The aggression shouldn't spread towards the other species that you choose. If you go that way, just keep in mind, that you really don't want to have any more than 18 fish in the tank. So you will be left with 1 male and 4 females of the Labs and lets say the Aceis. Which is totally fine though.

Oh, I forgot the sexing part! Haha, Sorry. Yep, the males have a longer anal fin, and quite often have more egg spots. They'll be bigger as well. The colour of the two sexes is almost identical.

Thanks again...I'll keep you guys/girls posted

All good helpful info

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I got 1 male and 5 female Rusties.
    They all seem happy enough exploring their new home, I'm leaving the light off until tomorrow.

I will take some pics once the light is on.

Thanks all for the info.

0 Not allowed!
    That's great! I hope you enjoy them!
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

0 Not allowed!
    I have already heard, due to aggression, that the tank is to be cycled first so all stock can be added at the same time.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Rusties are Beautiful Mbunas you should Enjoy them, Looking forward to Pictures

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    I have already heard, due to aggression, that the tank is to be cycled first so all stock can be added at the same time.

Excuse me?
    FYI The Tank they are in has been established for over a year.

That's great! I hope you enjoy them!
    Thank you mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine
    Rusties are Beautiful Mbunas you should Enjoy them, Looking forward to Pictures
    They are great little fish.
    I opened the curtains this morning then feed them, they were zipping about in a gang taking food from the surface. I watched them for about 20mins...the light will come on in about another hour (I'm at work now)...I'll try and get some pics after work.

They are getting on fine with the pair of bristlenose (brushynose) plecos in the tank....I knew they would but you can never be certain.
    Thanks all.
    Last edited by y2blade; 09-11-2012 at 07:15 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    In my opinion, this really depends on what species you're going to be stocking. If you choose the more aggressive species, then yes, that can be the way to go. But with Rusties, Labs and Aceis, the amount of aggression that you get out of them, especially when you buy young fish, is very minimal. And if there's any aggression at all, it's nearly always over in few minutes. You would have to watch them closely, if you were to stock the Rusties, then 12 months down the track, you decide to add some Labs. But if the stocking is complete over the space of a few months, then I don't really think there's much to worry about. There's been cases of three species of Mbuna, all added at once, one of them right here at AC, that have turned bad. Sometimes it all boils down to the attitude of one or two fish that can turn a tank upside down. It's one of those risks you take when you decide to keep these guys.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm planning on adding the Yellow Labs at the end of the week.....I don't want to add any new fish until I'm able to keep an eye on things as I'll be home all weekend.
    too long or too soon?

I'm not sure about sexing the yellow labs though, will it be the end of the world If I end up with a mixed bunch (looking to get 4 or 5)?????

Edit to add: do I add the Aceis at the same time as the yellow labs?

Sorry for the newb questions.
    Last edited by y2blade; 09-11-2012 at 09:42 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    No worries about the questions! I was asking all of these too, as well as just about everyone else around here!

Providing that your bio-filter (the cycled filter media) is able to keep up with the extra bio load, then you're good to add your next group of fish at any time. You said that you've had the tank running for over 12 months, with fish in it, so hopefully it should be ok. If you have a test kit, do a few tests over the next few days to see what your water perameters are. If the tests are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, then you're good to go.

Sexing Labs can be tough when they're young, but you can do it, if you look really hard. The males can have a blue tinge to their anal fin, and they will have more black on their anal, dorsal, and pelvic fins. Venting them is the best way to sex them.

This link explains venting.
    http://www.malawimayhem.com/articles_venting.shtml

You can add the Aceis at the same time, if you like.

If you have trouble with sexing the Labs and Aceis, and you settle for whatever you can get, then watch them very carefully. You'll soon know that you have too many males of whatever species, because they'll display some aggression. The aggression can appear as chasing or the odd fight, which will look like the two fish are spinning around in a circle nose to tail. Please make sure that you have heaps of hiding places set up in the tank, if you have trouble with the sexing and you get whatever group that you can get. At least you're offering the fish that it is getting picked on the most some kind of relief, until you can get the chance to catch the aggressive one, and return it to the shop, or swap it for another one.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No worries about the questions! I was asking all of these too, as well as just about everyone else around here!

Providing that your bio-filter (the cycled filter media) is able to keep up with the extra bio load, then you're good to add your next group of fish at any time. You said that you've had the tank running for over 12 months, with fish in it, so hopefully it should be ok. If you have a test kit, do a few tests over the next few days to see what your water perameters are. If the tests are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, then you're good to go.

Sexing Labs can be tough when they're young, but you can do it, if you look really hard. The males can have a blue tinge to their anal fin, and they will have more black on their anal, dorsal, and pelvic fins. Venting them is the best way to sex them.

This link explains venting.
    http://www.malawimayhem.com/articles_venting.shtml

You can add the Aceis at the same time, if you like.

If you have trouble with sexing the Labs and Aceis, and you settle for whatever you can get, then watch them very carefully. You'll soon know that you have too many males of whatever species, because they'll display some aggression. The aggression can appear as chasing or the odd fight, which will look like the two fish are spinning around in a circle nose to tail. Please make sure that you have heaps of hiding places set up in the tank, if you have trouble with the sexing and you get whatever group that you can get. At least you're offering the fish that it is getting picked on the most some kind of relief, until you can get the chance to catch the aggressive one, and return it to the shop, or swap it for another one.

Thank you VERY much for taking the time to reply.

I have test kits and am monitoring the levels of everything 'trite 'trAte and Ammonia.

I'll do my best to sex them.