· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: 10 Gallon Start

1. Unhappy 10 Gallon Start

0 Not allowed!
    hello,

We have just started a 10 gallon tank a few weeks ago. We started with one tiger barb and one cherry barb and then later introduced three more cherries and one more tiger. Early this morning I discovered that one of the tiger barbs had died and found one of the cherry barbs dead. There is also two cherry barbs that have completely disappeared. I think that the tiger barb may have eaten or attempted to eat the cherries because we I took him out of the tank he appeared bloated and it looked almost as if he was exploding because there was red matter protruding from him body. (Gruesome, I know). I am wondering if this is normal or if I am totally off base. In addition, any advice on introducing new fish? We only have one tiger and one cherry barb left in the tank after last night's bloodbath.

0 Not allowed!
    Is it cycled? What are your water conditions? What is your filtration? It sounds like the cherry barb could have died from nitrite or ammonia poison and got eaten by the tigers afterward.
    I tested 97% positive for Multiple Tank Syndrome
    ~~~~~~~~~~~Cory Catfish
    King of the Virtual [Cory] Catfish

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It is cycled and everything is as it should be condition-wise. We have a Marina Slim Filter S15. I can't figure out how two fish are just missing.

0 Not allowed!
    You should probably have a stronger filter, maybe an Aquaclear 20. Pleas, test the water. Sometimes things happen, and you'll have no idea if anything got into the tank if you don't test your water. Tiger barbs can be nippy when kept in school, maybe the cherry got bullied to death, if it wasn't poisoned. Another possibility is that it had disease. You will know for sure when you test your water. Things do happen, and nitrite/nitrate/ammonia spikes do happen just because of something simple like changing substrate.
    I tested 97% positive for Multiple Tank Syndrome
    ~~~~~~~~~~~Cory Catfish
    King of the Virtual [Cory] Catfish

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Tiger barbs are unsuitable for that tank. I suggest returning whatever is alive and keeping appropriately sized fish.

Tiger barbs are monsters if they are kept in small numbers, and cherry barbs need 6+ member to be comfortable.

I would appreciate seeing the actual test results. With a tank only a few weeks old, I doubt how stable your cycle is.
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What would you recommend for testing?

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    API liquid master test kit. Make sure you shake the bottles before use. :)
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!