· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My pH is a little above 8. I've got Australian Rainbows in my 125. They are doing great. I agree, there are many other things to consider besides pH. In my large tank, my rainbows are wonderful. They have great personalties and I love to see how they interact with each other.

0 Not allowed!
    Calmer when it's an all male tank too. Take away what they get all nutty about and it's more peaceful. 125 gallon is a great tank for them.

0 Not allowed!
    I got 29g from the OPs profile LH. hence why I mentioned it was inappropriate for rainbows.

0 Not allowed!
    YIKES. You got that right. Add another 100 gallons to that and it will be just right.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    "Yikes"??? What a constructive comment...
    I don't think i did anything wrong, i asked for suggestions and got critics for thinking about it. letting me know that because of their activeness they are not suitable regardless of their size is a good one. I am perfectly aware that pH is not the end of it this is why after reading no less than 4 different websites, i turned to the forum for experience (may read first post).
    This site about kribensis to summarize : alcaline, brackish, soft and acidic????
    Dwarf gouramis i thought they are not for alkaline waters all together and being territorial and semi-aggressive (just like bettas) it would be a hit or miss with others (from another thread on my first stocking plan).
    It is now legitimate for me to think that with that amount of contradiction, making my own mistakes and learning from them is inevitable. At least i am trying to do the right thing.

0 Not allowed!
    We did not mean to offend you in any way. We were not criticising you at all, simply telling you that rainbows will not work in a 29g tank.

Back to the ph, honestly its not that important as long as it is stable. As I mentioned.

About the contradictions: there are always going to be contradictions. All we can do is give you recommendations based on our own experience.

We never said you weren't trying to do the right thing. :)

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    To ameliaaahx:
    Thank you for suggesting the rams and the bristlenose pleco.
    But if i go for the cory, it is the pleco or the cory right? As for the rams they seems to be delicate (don't know...) i am looking for species that can withstand a reasonnably wide range of parameters. The reason is, this is the first summer and it'll be the first winter of awareness for my tap water, in clear i could see my water being less hard during winter as the aquifer fills up diluting the minerals containt.
    Do you realy think the dwarf gouramis woul be ok for my set up?, i'd love to have one.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    [QUOTE=ameliaaahx]We did not mean to offend you in any way. We were not criticising you at all, simply telling you that rainbows will not work in a 29g tank.

Back to the ph, honestly its not that important as long as it is stable. As I mentioned.

About the contradictions: there are always going to be contradictions. All we can do is give you recommendations based on our own experience.

We never said you weren't trying to do the right thing. :)[/QUOTE]

Thank you,
    I may have over reacting a bit sorry for that.

0 Not allowed!
    It was suggested in an earlier post that rainbows would be good for you. We did not want you to order a bunch of them only to find out you had been given information not entirely accurate. You asked all the right questions and there was nothng wrong with your questions at all. Your tank is not large enough for rainbows and we were simply correcting earlier advice you had been given.

Neon rainbows would be fine, tho, as would the blue eyed rainbowfish.

0 Not allowed!
    To ameliaaahx:
    Thank you for suggesting the rams and the bristlenose pleco.
    But if i go for the cory, it is the pleco or the cory right? As for the rams they seems to be delicate (don't know...) i am looking for species that can withstand a reasonnably wide range of parameters. The reason is, this is the first summer and it'll be the first winter of awareness for my tap water, in clear i could see my water being less hard during winter as the aquifer fills up diluting the minerals containt.
    Do you realy think the dwarf gouramis woul be ok for my set up?, i'd love to have one.
    What is the footprint of your tank? IMO you have room for 6 cories AND a BN pleco in your tank. :) Plecos do need driftwood though.

You are right about the Ram -- I did not think about the pH when I suggested them. Kribensis would be a good alternative though, they are very hardy. That's a kribensis in my avatar. If you got the Krib though, no BN and probably no Dwarf gourami either. Dwarf Gourami would work in your tank but if you want something hardy and more suitable to your pH I would suggest the Kribensis instead. You could have a mated pair -- they are beautiful when paired.

Suggestions:

- 12 Neons
    - 1 Dwarf Gourami
    - 6 Cories
    - 1 BN Plecostomus

OR

- 12 Neons
    - 6 Cories
    - Pair of Kribensis

What is the footprint of your tank?