· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default How about rainbowfish?

0 Not allowed!
    Hello,

It has been a month now that my tank is running with some neons tetras (12 of them) and nothing else.
    Everyday I watch them and they look happy they are all about 1" now eat eagerly and are lively little swimmer, nevertheless it twist my stomach as I keep in the back of my head that my water parameter are less than perfect for them (of course I will keep them to the end, I really like them).
    Stable at pH 8 , KH 10 and GH/KH 125.3mg/l. So I have medium hard basique water.
    So I've been looking at profiles (even know not a single website seems to agree with each other, one I looked at dwarf neon rainbow fish (Rhombatractus praecox) is a good example of disagreement) the trend is some of the rainbowfish seems to like alkaline water. Would you have any suggestion for me 2 to 2.5" fully grown and doesn't have to be a shoaling fish?

As for bottom feeders, corydoras like the false julii or panda or the spotted or skunk corydoras seems to be good for alkaline water!?

I talked to the pet store in Newberg and he says he could order many of the rainbow for me as well as the corydoras if he doesn't have them in stock already.

Of course because of the neon, I would only get the corydoras right now, and still hope I will keep them for a long time.
    thanks
    Delphe

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Neons and Cory Cats both enjoy more acidic waters. From what I researched right now, Boesemani Rainbows can tolerate a pH of 8 but you should know that they grow to 4 or so inches and 8 is the upper limit of their pH scale although I don't see why it would present a problem.

If you want to keep these fish in a pH more like their natural environments, you could always add a small piece of driftwood to your setup. It would soften your water and lower its pH over the course of a week or so.

I'm not sure if I answered your question, but I hope the information I provided helps a little.

Here is a website which is dedicated to Rainbow fish: Information

Happy reading.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks, I will read that promptly.
    I wish there would be a couple able to like my water as is.
    My thought was to take some water from my work to start doing water changes as it is softer and more acidic (pH 6.5) same hill, different aquifers :-(. I don't know how to proceed though, I don't want to shock my neons.
    on 10 gallons water change I could start mixing equal part of both water 5 gallons each?
    Last edited by Delphe; 09-07-2012 at 09:44 PM.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Seeing as you have hard water, that means that your water is very good at buffer its pH. Theres some basic chemistry involved here which isn't all that important, but useful nonetheless. I could explain it if you'd like.

A 10 gallon water change on hard water with water that is only 1.5 pH units away will not throw your pH very far. I doubt that it will be a problem for your neons.

I perform a 10g water change on my 29g tank which has a pH of <6 and very soft water. No deaths so far.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by homemadepopcorn
    Neons and Cory Cats both enjoy more acidic waters. From what I researched right now, Boesemani Rainbows can tolerate a pH of 8 but you should know that they grow to 4 or so inches and 8 is the upper limit of their pH scale although I don't see why it would present a problem.
    Here is a website which is dedicated to Rainbow fish: Information

Happy reading.
    http://rainbowfish.angfaqld.org.au/Alleni.htm
    The first profile I read, this one would be happy with a pH 8.4
    This is a good start

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Very good indeed! Now all you have to do is find some haha!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes indeed,
    I think I will proceed the other way, I am going to ask which ones he can order for me and prices and I will see if they can fit water and size wise.
    For now anyway, I will start doing the water change with my work waters, it is just going to be more complicated :-), and maybe in a month I will have more neutral water parameter.
    I can just go ahead and do the full 10 gallons with the more acidic waters?

0 Not allowed!
    Since your neons have already adapted to the pH of 8 I would suggest you leave it that way -- carting water from work sounds very difficult. Any fish will fare better in a tank with stable pH than a fluctuating one. Alternatively driftwood is excellent for lowering pH, I used it in my neon tank to take pH from 7.4 to around 6.4. You just have to do more frequent smaller WCs to stop the pH from fluctuating too much.

Rainbowfish are hugley active fastwater fish which can grow to around 8inches. They need a 55g absolute minimum with a lot of current, and I would also definitely not mix them with neons. And they are a schooling fish.

Sorry, but I do not think these will work in your 29g tank at all.

Dwarf Neon Rainbows grow to 2.5inches, but I also think they are too active for a tank your size. I think these need a tank 35g+. And they are still a schooling fish.

The cories will work however, and a group of 6-8 would be lovely in your tank.

There are many fish that will suit your setup, even if a Rainbow won't.
    Would you have any suggestion for me 2 to 2.5" fully grown and doesn't have to be a shoaling fish?
    I gather from this you are looking for a 2-2.5in fish which is not schooling fish?

Dwarf Gourami, Rams or Kribensis are all options. You also have the option of something like a Bristlenosed Pleco.
    Last edited by Amelia; 09-08-2012 at 06:42 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    I am not seeing a tank size unless I missed it. Rainbows, other than the neons or blue eyes, should be in long tanks. Bows are furious swimmers that take over a tank. They will also EAT neons. Bows have a big mouth but a small throat but they will still grab neons.

I had bows in a 55 gallon and the tank was honestly too small for them. I have 3 remaining in my 55 now and they dominate the tetra's and my angelfish. Not bite them, you understand, but send them scurring due to their activity level.

Believe me, if your tank is not 72" long, you do not want rainbows.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 09-08-2012 at 02:49 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Delphe
    http://rainbowfish.angfaqld.org.au/Alleni.htm
    The first profile I read, this one would be happy with a pH 8.4
    This is a good start
    NO! Read above. There is far more to consider with fish than the pH. Many of the rainbows are now farm raised, as well, so the pH has already been adapted to them. Activity level and tankmates must be considered even more than the pH.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 09-08-2012 at 02:51 PM.