· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinalJenemba
    Apisto's don't get as nasty when they pair and they claim a much smaller territory then rams.
    Im just going to quote myself lol
    "At some point you aren't making the animal more dead...You are just making a bigger mess." - Demjor19

0 Not allowed!
    Same as mine approx.

Edit: Missed your post FJ.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I had a pair of Apisto Agassizi but the female died. I have to say the male (being the largest of all fish in the tank) definitely runs the tank. I also had a male GBR with 2 females. Both of the apistos and the rams picked on the smaller/less colorful ram until she died. Eventually the other female died too so I now have 1 male GBR and 1 male Apisto.

The apisto constantly chases away the ram and any other fish who comes into his territory. The male GBR does the same but his territory is much smaller and swims away if the apisto comes close.

My plan now is to add 3 female GBR and if/when they pair, remove the other 2 females and give them back to store. I'll keep you posted on how it works out! I'm going to put the apisto in his own tank until the GBR acclimate and then when I return the 2 who arent in the pair, I will add back the apisto. Hopefully everyone will be cool!

Side note: I keep the dwarf cichlids with schools of tetras, hatchets, and catfish.
    Check out my 55 Gallon, planted, Philly themed community tank! Rummynose and Cardinals, dwarf cichlids, plecos, shrimps

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Would definitely provide plenty of plants/hiding spots too...but I'm sure you knew that. ;)
    Check out my 55 Gallon, planted, Philly themed community tank! Rummynose and Cardinals, dwarf cichlids, plecos, shrimps

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You have this issue in your 55gal tank?

I have a ton of plants to keep them occupied-plants keep growing to increase the "separation" and try to help the aggression issues. But my tank is a foot shorter than yours, but 4 inches deeper.

Are there significant differences between the Apistogramma cacatuoides and the Apistogramma Agassizi? Because i'm after the Apisto Cacatuoides male.
    and wasn't sure if one or the other is more peaceful.
    I dont want aggression b/c it annoys me.lol

My dwarf and (future) dwarf males will be with a school of tetra's and cory's.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I was hopping to do this too, seems like good colorful species to match if they are peaceful, I wanted to have 1 pair of agassizi and 1 pair of rams, from reading the posts it sounds like aggression can be hit or miss with these fish. Hope it works out

I was also wondering if the color of the species matters when pairing, for example could you have a gold ram with a Bolivian ram or electric blue ram and them still pair off? same question goes for the agassizi

0 Not allowed!
    I have two GBR with pair of Apisto Cacs in a 20 gal long. Had the GBR's for about a month then added the apistos. The apistos bred and took over about 2/3 of the tank, pushing the GBR's to the back behind a piece of driftwood. I lost the male apisto (not sure if female stressed him) as well as all of the fry, but the GBR's continue to stay in the back of the tank - I rarely see them. I've just added a new male apisto cac two days ago, so I'm hoping to hang on to him longer than the last one.

I've been trying to decide what to add, if anything, to this tank. Suggestions welcome. Should I had something to act as dither fish, more GBR (which I would like to do but not sure how the other GBR would take that), or another pair of apistos (maybe agassizi).

0 Not allowed!
    I haven't read through this entire thread, as it was initially started over a year ago. I am responding to the points/questions raised in the last two recent posts.

Combining different species of cichlid--and here I am considering South American species--is always a risk and frankly not advisable unless the tank is very large. These species will never come into contact with another cichlid in their habitats, and they are very territorial. I have had several species of Apistogramma over the years, and the females can be extremely rough with females and males of even their own species when they are guarding eggs or fry.

When more than one species of dwarf cichlid "manage" to co-exist, it does not mean that all is well. Fish release pheromones and allomones which other fish read, and these are invisible to us but can cause stress to the fish. The territoriy a species establishes depends upon the environment, meaning plants, wood, etc, but in many cases it can end up being the majority of the tank. In the example Sue mentioned, the two rams always being in the back is not a good sign; those fish may be severely stressed.

To Ras' question on breeding different fish. The species will breed within the species, not across species, generally speaking. The common or Blue Ram species is Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, and this fish is available in several colour morphs such as Gold, German Blue, Electric Blue, etc. These are all the same species. The Bolivian Ram is a different species, Mikrogeophagus altispinosus. To my knowledge, these two species will not cross-breed.

When it comes to Apistogramma, the females of many species are near identical in appearance. I have heard that males of one species may spawn, or attempt to, with a female of another species, but I do not know if this is confirmed or not. It is certainly not advisable, and no responsible hobbyist should ever cross-breed cichlids.

If cichlids spawn, and if the fry are reasonably well looked after, there will be a lot of them, and we naturally will want to sell them. Species should thus be maintained pure, to avoid introducing hybrids (if it is possible). These days, with natural habitats being destroyed, it is becoming more obvious that aquarists may be the ones to preserve many species, and this must be done properly.

Byron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I actually just kinda meant schooling together when I said pair up :P I just dont like lonely fish
    but im not looking to setup a breeding tank yet, even if i got them to breed I dont know what i'd do with all those babies ... but still thanks for all that info! I didn't know Bolivian rams were a different species from blue rams, I just thought it was a different color morph x.x
    anyways would the two species(GBR/agassizi) be ok to stay together in a 55 gal or higher or is that still too small? and if neither species are breeding would that reduce enough aggression to keep them along side each other in the same tank w.o serious stress?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ras View Post
    I actually just kinda meant schooling together when I said pair up :P I just dont like lonely fish
    but im not looking to setup a breeding tank yet, even if i got them to breed I dont know what i'd do with all those babies ... but still thanks for all that info! I didn't know Bolivian rams were a different species from blue rams, I just thought it was a different color morph x.x
    anyways would the two species(GBR/agassizi) be ok to stay together in a 55 gal or higher or is that still too small? and if neither species are breeding would that reduce enough aggression to keep them along side each other in the same tank w.o serious stress?
    With any of these dwarf cichlids, if male and female are together, they will almost certainly spawn. I'll come back to this momentarily to explain the bonded pairing aspect, but even if not bonded, they usually will spawn a few times before one is killed by the other. So expect to have eggs, and therefore very tough females. My corys always get the brunt of their wrath, but female cichlids defending a clutch of eggs or a shoaling fry group can be surprisingly rough with any other fish whatever the size. One of my females killed two other females in a heavily-planted 4-foot tank within a few weeks.

As for the Ram and Apisto in a 55g, it is not something I would do myself. But I suspect some members probably have and will say fine. You just don't know how territorial the particular male will be. I have a sole Bolivian Ram male in my 5-foot 115g tank. He is now over five years of age, which is at his normal lifespan, but he has been on his own since I acquired him. I added a nice female one time, about 3 years ago, and they spawned four times before he killed her [I'll come back to this, this is the bonding aspect again]. Anyway, he owns this tank, from end to end. He doesn't attack other fish, aside from pushing them when they get in the way of his eating, but you can tell from his behaviour and that of all the other 100+ fish (tetras, pencilfish, corys, some whiptails and otos) that he is recognized as owning the entire space. It is rather entertaining to see him keeping the entire shoal of Bleeding Hearts in one spot when the mood strikes him.

Now to that bonding aspect. Cichlids prefer selecting their own mates. Some species, like both rams, have to do this if you want peace and success. You can usually tell the bonded pairs in the store tank. Apistogramma are a bit the same, but many of these are harem fish, doing best in groups of one male with two or three females. Sometimes what you think is a female turns out to be a male; I had this with A. bitaeniata many years ago. I bought a group of five wild-caught fish, one of which was clearly a male, absolutely gorgeous colouration. He spawned with one of the female, more than once. Some time later, the male died, and to my surprise one of the drab "females" suddenly showed he was a male by extending the fin filaments and brighter colouration; he spawned several times with a true female. What was going on here was not some sort of sex change but the dominant male owns the tank, and the other male(s) accepted that. When the dominant was gone, another took his place.

Hope all this is of some help.

Byron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]