· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Rams and Cockatoo Cichlid

0 Not allowed!
    Are these okay to coexist? I don't want any aggression in my 40b

I have a male EBR in the tank right now, and wanting to add 2/3 female GBR, but just stumbled on cockatoo cichlids (i believe the lfs had some)
    would one male work w/ the rams?

has anyone kept this combo?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes they can work, I have kept them together with no problems, but I would not add any other cichlids to a ram breeding tank, if you want multiple male dwarfs I wouldn't recommend any females. Male GBR's are also nasty little fish, now that he has his territory setup it can be difficult to add new fish, he might not even accept the females, I had a Ram the would kill any female that went in his tank. They all really need to be added together.

You can somewhat simulate this by taking him out and putting him in a bucket, they rescaping the tank and adding him back with the new fish. Hope this helps!
    "At some point you aren't making the animal more dead...You are just making a bigger mess." - Demjor19

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I dont want to create a breeding tank. I just want the awesomeness that Rams have-as my showcase fish.

So you think my EBR may be the aggressor?
    Because I have a DG that is the "man" of the tank-so the EBR is passive with everyone else at the moment.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    and how would you go about adding those additional 4?

The cockatoo and GBR females all at once? so then the EBR can acclimate to all of them at once?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If you don't want a breeding tank don't add females. If you add 4 females he will pair with one and they will breed. Ram's pair for life, and you will end up with a tank that belongs to two little rams. The perfect dwarf stocking for a 40g breeder to me would be one Ram, one pair of apistogramma cacatuoides and one pair of apistogramma agassizi. At least for stuff you can find somewhat easily. Apisto's don't get as nasty when they pair and they claim a much smaller territory then rams.

You could have some other cooler dwarfs if your water is soft and clean enough, what PH are you at?
    "At some point you aren't making the animal more dead...You are just making a bigger mess." - Demjor19

0 Not allowed!
    *lurks in background of thread*

(I just bought a 45g and I'm also wondering on this combo)

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ameliaaahx
    *lurks in background of thread*

(I just bought a 45g and I'm also wondering on this combo)
    I thought youd be interested in this. lol

But I am out of town to test the Ph last I checked it was like it 7.4 ish?

gh I haven't measued in a long time because my only test.kit.for that was those dang.strips and that has been months since I looked at that.

0 Not allowed!
    My pH is about 7.4 too but I usually keep driftwood in my tanks which lowers the pH. And I've never tested the water hardness, I only have the tests that the API test kit came with.

I think we are after the same set-up Mizzou! I would love a small group of rams and one A. cacatuoides or A. agassizi (whichever I can get my hands on). But maybe this will not work. :(

What is the footprint of your tank Mizzou?

0 Not allowed!
    The perfect dwarf stocking for a 40g breeder to me would be one Ram, one pair of apistogramma cacatuoides and one pair of apistogramma agassizi.
    Hang on... So there's room for 2 pairs of Apistos and 1 Ram but not a pair of Rams and 1 Apisto?

Also, aren't Apistos harem spawners?
    Last edited by Amelia; 09-08-2012 at 09:05 AM.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm confused on that as well, why the apisto's are able to pair up but rams?

and my footprint is 36'' x 16" (or 18") can't remember which is which. so around 3ft x 1.5 feet is my guess.