· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Brand new aquarists

0 Not allowed!
    Hi everyone, we are new to the hobby of fish keeping.

Just got ourselves a 90L tank last week, and we kinda just jumped into it without researching or anything, our local pet store were not very helpful, i think they just wanted to make as many sales as possible. So we ended up with over 30 fish. So, over the last week we have lost about 30% of our little fishy friends, and I am starting to get a bit worried about it all. I had a bit of a read of the E-Book provided by this site, and i believe i did not cycle our tank properly. So I have just gotten myself a ammonia test kit, but no ammonia levels were detected??? so I am kinda stumped on how our fish are dying???

0 Not allowed!
    If it was a strip test kit it was probably not accurate or you might have had nitrites which are also deadly. What is your stock. By reading the post I can just tell that this tank is probably going to be overstocked.

Also, make sure you are keeping up with water changes and are not overfeeding.
    Last edited by Cory Catfish; 09-07-2012 at 02:18 AM.
    I tested 97% positive for Multiple Tank Syndrome
    ~~~~~~~~~~~Cory Catfish
    King of the Virtual [Cory] Catfish

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Its a Nutrafin test kit, with a little test tube and some stuff in a dropper. we also have been using NUTRAFIN cycle biological aquarium supplement and also NUTRAFIN aqua plus tap water conditioner. Also it is a freshwater tropical tank. The fish that we have left are:

2x female kribensis
    3x Neons
    2x Tiger Barbs
    1x red tail shark
    1x yellow molly
    11x swordtails

we have the temp set at 24 degrees celcius.

I really wish i had read more into it before just putting fish in and hoping for the best, rookie mistakes i guess.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ill repost all this in the appropriate thread also :)

0 Not allowed!
    Woah, the neons, barbs all need to be in schools. I would either rehome everything so you don't lose any more fish, then cycle, or rehome the neons, barbs, DEFINITELY the rts (they need a bigger tank), the molly probably too, well, just about everything except the swordtails. After the fishless cycle I think 11 swordtails just about does it for 20G (90L).

If you make frequent water changes and water tests during the cycle, your fish have a 80% chance of surviving. I'm not sure with NF, always used API so I will leave that up with another member.
    Last edited by Cory Catfish; 09-07-2012 at 02:35 AM.
    I tested 97% positive for Multiple Tank Syndrome
    ~~~~~~~~~~~Cory Catfish
    King of the Virtual [Cory] Catfish

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    we had 6 neons to start with, but lost a few. Hopefully a friend can house our fish so ican start this tank the proper way. thank you for the advice :)

0 Not allowed!
    Oh dear, this is bad.

No worries -- a lot of beginners fall into the trap of listening to people at fish stores, who only want to make money and usually know nothing about fish at all.

As soon as you have all those fish rehomed, we can work towards fixing this and having a healthy, cylced aquarium stocked with compatible fish. :)

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    if i was to bag them up now, would they be alright like that for a few hours until my mate finishes work?

Awards Showcase

for your advice and support! - gourami*girl Dude, Thanks from those of us that can only send help. - 850R Have a cool one after helping those around you - Cliff You will probably need a few more of these before you are done - mommy1 Thanks for helping get peoples lives back to normal - mommy1 
    and one more - mommy1 Have another - KingFisher and one more because we all appreciate what you are doing. - mommy1 Looks like your down a qt - Cliff Yeah, because you still need more appreciation. - mommy1 
    It HAS to be time for a burger, There might be more beers on the way :-D - 850R Your effort in NYC is appreciated! - Cory Catfish We all appreciate what you are doing! Thank you! - Cory Catfish thank for being you - Lady Hobbs more - Lady Hobbs 
    For all your hard work - sailor to bolster your spirits - fishmommie Well deserved - Aeonflame Have another on me - Aeonflame Cheers! For all your hard work! - Trillianne 
    Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - C-Dub Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - C-Dub Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - C-Dub Autism - C-Dub Childhood Cancer - C-Dub 

0 Not allowed!
    Two different types of bacteria are needed, ammonia eating and nitrIte eating. Sounds like with 30 fish you gained the ammonia eating bacteria quickly, here's the hard part, you may be in the NitrIte spike Phase of your cycle. This could be where more fish will perish. It's a good idea to re home most of these fish as they really are suffering. Research what u have and leave the hardiest fish in your tank cross your fingers and research a in fish cycle, your water may get cloudy soon or may have already, this is normal during the nitrIte spike. Hope this helps explaining things. Any more questions please ask
    55 Gal- Fluval 305 & Aqua Clear 70;
    2 Gold Veil Angels, 1 GBR, 1 Gold Nugget Pleco, and 11 pesky Zebra Danio's.

0 Not allowed!
    I would wait, More hands are always..... handy.

Plus less bag time all around for the fish.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.