· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Canister - all the way for efficent filtering, cleaner water and very, very quite operation; just can't be beat. This type of unit will cost somewhat more but well worth the extra dollars considering the cost of fish - also, these support in-line heaters which offer a few advantages (like always contain water even if you empty the tank.) Got a very nice canister unit with a UV system built in for under $100 - (someone here pointed out the unit) a bit over sized for my 75 but very nice unit. Would never go back to HOB or any other system. The amount of bio-chips these units can hold is amazing and since that is 125% of what you want/need for any filter, why use anything else? Just always fill with bio-media, never charcoal (except to remove meds but I have a stored HOB that I use for that purpose now.)

Now, if phosphates are an issue, then a HOB add-on unit would be worth the cost; such a unit could be a very low end since that is its only purpose - those phosphate absorbing additives get replaced fairly often and a canister would be a bear changing out; my unit needs a very minor cleaning every three months and even then, I get little debris.

I no longer bother with these additives now since I added an algae scrubber (or bubble falls unit as I call them.) These grow algae and this consumes phosphates nicely (as well nitrates! Even ammonia/nitrites and they only take a week to grow; but do need cleaning every week or two; otherwise, they lose their efficency.) Unless you build a large algae scrubber, this type of unit can't replace a real filtering system (I bought a fanastic small LED unit that fits in the tank by someone here who makes them - very nice price and good performance - send me a private e-mail if you want one - I hope I can still find their e-mail ... ugh. Also, I'll send you the site for the canister if you want one of those UV units.)
    Last edited by Cermet; 10-11-2012 at 10:42 AM.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Question

0 Not allowed!
    I am totally and completely lost why some people here are suggesting two canisters? Maybe I'm missing something.

I have a single unit for my tank (yes, I have spares but I use to have more tanks) and it easily handled a massive bio-load for a 75 gal. Besides, a 75 is really the smallest possible tank that can handle a canister. I am lost why two would be needed? If cleaning is the issue, that has never been a problem for me since I use mostly bio-chips (and the supplied internal 'spongs'/filtering media for each tray) that are only rinised (pure water only.) I don't lose any bacteria efficency after cleaning so why would someone have two running? That is possibly true for a HOB if you change the bio-media and want to alternate units for cleaning but for a canister, that is not needed. These units are not cheap and the high end units are way up there.

Awards Showcase

For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady 
    Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    You know Cermet, there are a lot of right ways to do things in this hobby, and just because it isn't the way you do it or I do it, doesn't make it wrong or stupid. Personally, I prefer to have canisters with slower flow rates so the water is in contact with the media and bacteria longer, this sometimes means I put two filters on a tank to ensure there are no dead spots.
    Other people prefer to get the highest GPH rate they can with their canisters and use only one and that works too.
    I didn't realize a 75g was the smallest tank a canister would work on. I guess I will go pull the XP2's off my 65g and 29g.
    Last edited by mommy1; 10-11-2012 at 12:14 PM.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Awards Showcase

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    As for the smallest tank size for a canister, many here (and they must be mistaken) have made this exact claim and that is partly why I said that. In my own experience I have used a canister on a 55 and the flow was too much for my fish; of course, I've had large fish. That said, a reduced flow would solve that issue nicely and your point is correct. So, for a newbie, I'd just say that if the tank is smaller than a 75, than a reduced flow might be in order. Of course, that requires very careful testing of water parameters to insure enough and proper flow rate to allow proper bio-action. Not readily apparent for me to use this solution for high flow rates systems if the fish aren't tolerant of the flow.

For people with money, two canisters have advantages and not just for a spare.

That is what makes this forum so useful.
    Last edited by Cermet; 10-11-2012 at 02:04 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    I have an AC110 and a PennPlax 700 Canister. I have an overstocked African tank and only do 25% water changes. The params never get more than 0, 0, 20.

I'm sure a 75 gallon tank is very similar. This forum really likes the AC110. Throw on a good canister too and you'll be all set.
    55 Gl: 15 African Cichlids, 2 Synodontis -
    Filters - Aquaclear 110 and PennPlax 700
    Watch a Video of My Cichlid Aquarium!

29 Gl: 1 Black Moor, 1 Fantail Goldfish -
    Filters - Aquaclear 70
    Watch a Video of My Goldfish Aquarium!

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    having only one canister would not do enough mechanical filtration for my liking. they have a lower turnover rate usually than AC110s. canisters are always better for bio, but lack in mech IME. having 2 also ensures you always have a healthy bacteria colony going even when you clean out one of the filters.

I've ran an FX5 on a 55g tank and the flow was not too much for the fish.
    Thar she blows!!!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispy
    having only one canister would not do enough mechanical filtration for my liking. they have a lower turnover rate usually than AC110s. canisters are always better for bio, but lack in mech IME.
    I agree completely. I run my ACs primarily for mech.

I have not heard much talk about 'too small for a canister' but I do [or have] run canisters on 20s [Long and regular] and 29s with no issues but these are not monster FX5 type filters, Just little Fluval 205s or EHEIM 2222 or 2232s.

Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

Awards Showcase

Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 
    Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 
    Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF - steeler58 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    I apologize - I didn't realize this thread was still active and I posted a new thread re filtration to the beginning freshwater forum on Saturday. I have settled on 2 Rena XP3's but have a question. Please see my post "Getting my first tank in 2 weeks".

I am also considering 2 Via Aqua 200W Titanium heaters rather than the Jaegers.

Thanks for all your help.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"