· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    If you don't like the sound of a waterfall, then stay away from the Aquaclears. I find their waterfall a nice feature, as the sound of a waterfall is peaceful.

I have 2 AC110s on my 65-gallon, and being larger filters, they is a slight motor hum. I have an AC50 on my 20-gallon, and it's totally silent except for the waterfall.

If you get an AC110, yours might be completely quiet, motorwise. One never knows with them. I have found that the lids on mine are warped and don't seat properly unless I work with them for awhile. I find that a pain. That's probably not the case with all of them, however.

As for the function of filtering, Aquaclears can't be beat. They're great filters, overall.

I use the Aquaclears exclusively on my tanks. Aside from the small annoyances mentioned above, I'm very pleased with mine. When I get a third tank, I'll be using an AC on it, too.

-- mermaidwannabe
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidwannabe
    If you don't like the sound of a waterfall, then stay away from the Aquaclears. I find their waterfall a nice feature, as the sound of a waterfall is peaceful.

-- mermaidwannabe

If you keep the tank filled all the way, there is no waterfall noise.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

Awards Showcase

I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass 
    this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl 
    for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer 

0 Not allowed!
    For larger tanks such as a 75g, I would go with a good canister filter or two, Eheim, Rena, and Fluval, are all good brands and canisters are very quiet. Take your pick and be sure to choose one for at least double the water volume of your tank.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KingFisher
    If you keep the tank filled all the way, there is no waterfall noise.
    Yes, that's true. The farther water has to fall, the louder it splashes. I personally don't mind, but if that is going to be a determining factor in whether or not you choose an Aquaclear, it needn't be so. Just keep the tank filled all the way, and you won't hear a waterfall.

All-in-all, they're great filters. I recommend them.

-- mermaid
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gronlaura
    Is there any advantage to having a canister and HOB vs 2 canisters?
    On a 75 gallon, 2 fair size HOB's take up the whole back, and honestly could give you an adequate amount of filtration for about half price.

EDIT: You mentioned that you keep the tank full constantly, and it is possible to nearly completely eliminate waterfall noise in a 75g with an AC110. Just fill it up to the bottom lip of the filter output. A canister and an HOB is a very good, but very expensive option and isn't always within the average aquarist's reach financially.
    Last edited by Northerly; 09-08-2012 at 03:45 AM.
    Coastie-to-be... hopefully.

0 Not allowed!
    Canister filters allow you to have the tank closer to the wall that hobs do.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah that's definitely a major drawback, i got sooo lucky on my 75g, it was exactly 4.5inches from the wall and my AC110 barely fit.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Looking at all the filters options available it can get confusing for sure! Really it comes down to what your willing to spend to get what you need. Two aquaclear 70's would probably be the cheapest but if they might be too noisy for you depending where your tank is located. I myself prefer an HOB and a canister as you get the benefits of both systems.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    this is an old topic, but before i submerged my wood the AC110 and the EMP 400 kept my tank good, i love the emp and the ACs, my fave cannister is fx5 and if you can afford IMO it is one of the best

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelfish11788
    the AC110 and the EMP 400 kept my tank good,
    I run my 75g mbuna tank off an AC110 an emp 400, works very well with a 50% weekly WC