· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF - steeler58 TGIF! - showmebutterfly TGIF! - wgoldfarb 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

Question 75 gal filtration

0 Not allowed!
    Now that I've decided on a tank, I can look at all the other equipment. The tank size decision was pretty easy (with help from all you kind folks), but now there are many more choices for the remaining equipment. I like to do (or buy) things only once (if possible), making the correct decision the first time.

I've been doing a lot of research on filters and filtration, but am still not sure what is best. I have read the filtration stickys and many of the posts. My tank would be in my living room (where I watch TV) so the filtration needs to be as quiet as possible. I have read that the Eheims are very quiet and only need maintenance every few months. Is that really true? I know many here recommend them. From what I have read here, an Eheim 2217 canister and a HOB should do the trick. Aquaclear vs Fluval for the HOB?

For this piece of equipment, the more I read, the more confused I get! Filtration is the one thing (along with cycling) I really want to get right.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Wild Caught BNP
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Harlequin Rasboras, Albino BNP

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

0 Not allowed!
    I think that would be an excellent amount of filtration, and honestly i use both AC's and the fluval c series and my opinion is that the c series gets dirty quickly, but is an EXCELLENT filter. The AC's get dirty too(Depending on the media setup you use) but not as quickly and are also a very high quality filter.

I run an Aquaclear 110 on my 75g and it does very well, I recommend it as the fluval c series only goes up to 70g. They are all quiet filters though, so the final decision will come down to personal preference.

EDIT: keep in mind that the AC110 is 4.5 inches wide, and will need about 5 inches of space between tank and wall. I made this mistake and my lid doesnt fit on my 110 anymore.
    Coastie-to-be... hopefully.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Depending on your tank stocking, I would just get 2 2213 or 2 2215 eheims instead. It will be dead quiet compared to the HOBs.

0 Not allowed!
    From what I have read and first hand info I have received, you can't go wrong with two Eheim filters. However, just with any filter you should clean it about every month.

You could also look into Rena filters as two Rena XP3s should be able to handle a very good stocking level in a 75 gallon tank, or a Fluval FX5 and a Rena XP2 is also another good option to consider and is what I currently have on my 90 gallon tank.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The fluval fx5 is such a beast to maintain. From having to remove it from under the aquarium to opening and rinsing the media. It sure is a chore. Personally, I would rather get two smaller canisters, and maintain those.

0 Not allowed!
    That is a common complaint about canister filters with a very large media capacity. It can be a trade off sometimes. I personally prefer to have as much bio-media as possible, even if it adds a little more to my monthly filter cleaning. Two smaller canister filters (smaller than the FX5) will also work.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've been buying off brand canisters for about $50 that I have been very pleased with. I have an Aquatop (also called SunSun) and I have a Jebao. Both work pretty darn good. They are pretty much just clones of the more expensive name brand filters, for much less.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Stage-JEBA...orcev4exp=true

Awards Showcase

My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF - steeler58 TGIF! - showmebutterfly TGIF! - wgoldfarb 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

Question 75 gal filtration

0 Not allowed!
    Is there any advantage to having a canister and HOB vs 2 canisters?
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Wild Caught BNP
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Harlequin Rasboras, Albino BNP

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I like the fact the with hob you have easy access to the media if you need to switch something out. If you ever need carbon to remove meds it is much easier to add and then take back out after you dont need it with an hob.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You can use the HOB for mechanical filtration and use pillow stuffing to polish the water. The canisters are superior biological filtration due to the amount of media you can put in.

The sound of the HOBs bug me. I don't like to have the sound of waterfall or the motor hum in my living room.