· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safe super glue

1. Default Safe super glue

0 Not allowed!
    Is it safe? I am not a figure person or ornimate person but I found a cool looking jungle mask at petco, looks like Cory Taylor's mask from volume 3 ( if ya are a fan you'll know lol) anyway got home and dropped it,petco said they will take it back but said they hardly get any of the 7" versions of the mask. So I am just gonna rig it together.

0 Not allowed!
    I don't know about super glue. It has stuff in it to make for immediately drying. Can't you just lean it on the back on the tank. Are you wanting to glue it to the glass?

You might not want to do that so you can move it around as plants grow.

0 Not allowed!
    Superglue is cyanoacrylate which is inert and tank safe when dry.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

0 Not allowed!
    So, he would have to drain the tank and dry the glass first, right? If he applies the glue then put in in the water, then how can that be safe?

0 Not allowed!
    It wont work like that anyway since it dries instantly when it comes in contact with water. He would definitely need to drain the tank
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    wait i am confused??? it has to stand and the base broke off, it hasnt even been in water yet, got it like 2 hours ago, i just wanted to glue it, let it dry overnight and place it in tank tomorrow, so that is a no right???

i dont wanna glue it to tank, here is what it is

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eerie-Rustic...item2c6392d633
    base just broke from mask itself
    Last edited by Angelfish11788; 10-14-2012 at 10:57 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    There is no need to drain a tank to fix a decoration.
    Gel type super glue is a trivial way to fix things in tanks. It is inert before and after setup. Water can speed setup. That's one more reason to use the gel type.

Coral keepers use it to glue splits of live corals in tanks far more sensitive to chemicals, than our freshwater tanks.

If the item can't be fixed with gel type super glue, and you can store it outside the tank over night, Gorilla Glue works for a lot of things.

Here is what the company says:

From: "Mary Ellen McGrath" <maryellenmcgrath@gorillaglue.com>
    To: XXXX@XXXXXXX.XXX
    Cc: "Gorilla Glue" <info@gorillaglue.com>
    Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 942 AM
    Subject: RE: Gorilla Glue Aquarium Application Inquiry

Dear XXXX,

Thank you for contacting the Gorilla Glue Company.

Gorilla Glue will work on varied surfaces and it does provide a 100% waterproof bond which can be submerged after curing a full 7 days. Once cured, it is inert and it will not leach anything into your aquarium water.

Gorilla Glue will work on most plastics, such as ABS, polycarbonate and pvc for example, as long as the surfaces are scratched up first where the glue will be. This will get the plastic to be a bit fuzzy looking, gives a texture to the slick surface and it gives the glue something to hold on to. It will not stick to polyethylene and polypropylene plastics as noted on our packaging and containers. These specific plastics are manufactured with a high amount of petroleum so the surfaces are too slick and oily and the glue cannot get a secure or tight bond. The best example of these plastics are our containers and caps since we know the glue will not stick to it! If you do not know the type of plastic you are gluing together, it becomes a ‘trial and error’ approach. Gorilla Glue will not damage or dissolve the plastic, it may simply peel right off of it.

I hope this information is helpful. The Gorilla Glue Company is a family owned business that was built upon the belief in our products and our desire to respond to our customers’ needs. We appreciate you taking the time to contact us and if you have any additional questions or comments, please let me know.

Sincerely,
    Mary-Ellen McGrath
    Gorilla Support Team

The Gorilla Glue Company
    4550 Red Bank Expressway
    Cincinnati, OH 45227
    P: 1-800-966-3458
    E: maryellenmcgrath@gorillaglue.com
    F: 1-513-527-3742

0 Not allowed!
    Ahaaaaa.. Now the real story comes out. Glue it and put it in the tank tomorrow.

Details are everything. LOL

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ok, I got confused, i was talking 6th grade math and yall was talking physics haha, as aways sorry.. i thought i explained it good glad it will be a mini-project since i havnt use superglue in probably 3 years,

0 Not allowed!
    You did fine. I was not reading it correctly. My fault.