· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Koi Angelfish

Default Koi Angelfish

0 Not allowed!
    Anyone know anything about Koi Angelfish, and what the difference between them and reg ones are?

A friend of mine is very interested in these for her 45g tall.

I told her that she might be able to have a pair in there, but no more. The thing is, she already has a reg angelfish in the tank. Will the two be alright together?

She also has a featherfin (?) and a Rainbow shark. I'm pretty sure the shark shouldn't be there.
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 12 Conga Tetras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    AFAIK koi angelfish are just angelfish with a certain specific coloration. Their care requirements are no different than any other angelfish... which would mean you could probably get away with a mated pair in a tank that size, but not non-mated individuals. Although... 45 gallon tall? What's the footprint like? Maybe not even a pair. Given that she already has one, and given the uncertainty that another one would pair with that one, I'd advise her not to get any.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Brino! I'm not sure about the footprint. I was thinking it was an odd size as well.

I was hoping it was just a name for a different coloration. I'll pass this on to her.
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 12 Conga Tetras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

0 Not allowed!
    I don't see why the Rainbow Shark shouldn't be in there (I'm assuming it's a 3ft tank), although in a tank that size he should be the only bottomdweller IMO.

Featherfin Synos can be pretty territorial.

0 Not allowed!
    I'm really not sure of the size. I've never heard of a 45 gallon before, and I don't think I've seen one. It is a tall version as well. I've seen pics of it, and it just doesn't strike me as rainbow shark appropriate, but I could be wrong. At any rate I haven't said anything to her about it.

I can't see the tank in person because she doesn't live in my state any more.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Koi Angels are just a color morph.

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 45g. It's 3ft by 1.5ft.

Now that you mention it actually I probably wouldn't but an RS in there. Especially not in a tall tank.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The term Koi when applied to an angelfish is a reference to the genetic trait composition of the angelfish. A Koi Angelfish is an angelfish that has the traits for marble and the traits for blush combined to create a fish that has an appearance to the eye of patches or spotted areas similar to that found upon some forms of Specialty goldfish known as Koi.

The patterning of a Koi Angelfish is highly variable. The color trait palate can include albino, Orange, red, blue, silver, and many more fascinating genetic trait expressions.

Whether or not you may house certain numbers of fish together and how you stock your angelfish aquarium is also now becoming more of a variable as myself and other consciencious breeders strive to breed for the traits of reduced aggressive behavior. I choose my breeders with the most even docile temperament, much the same as a dog breeder can influence the nature of a dog, a quality angelfish breeder has temperment as a focus in his breeding program. It is a must as we house the fish together and it is not enjoyable to have them mark each other up. We want pristine examples in our collections.

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to Koi = a color morph.

A 45 tall is 36 x 12½ x 25 Tall. It is essentially a much taller 29 that is six inches longer [Or a WAY taller 30 long lol].

I wouldn't put two unpaired angels in there and I would be cautious with a pair actually.

Not saying it couldn't work just that I would absolutely have another option available if I tried it.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    In genetics a morph ( genetic dimorphism specifically) is a random non predictable variation that is difficult to reproduce because it has a high level of variability. A morph or a sport as it can also be deemed is a 1 in 1000 or so occurrence.

Certainly all variations and types of genetically domesticated begin as morphs. At this point the Koi is now a specific trait typical variety that is capable of being reproduced so long as the genetics are correctly matched. A predictable out come can be planned for and expected. It is recognized as a variety and has a place within the calculations of a planned genetics calculation system.

Genetic dimorphism can result in positive characteristics as well as negative characteristics.

The angelfish below is a sport or genetic dimorphism. This particular fish is a cross between a half black blush standard fin angelfish and a DD streaked black veil angelfish. The presence of streaked modifies the genes in such a way as to influence other wise relatively predictable sequence into a rather random expression palate. This specific individual has traits from half black blush as he is blush and he has traits from DD and he has a trait from the streaked trait which is expressing itself as the bolt of bronze coloration on his dorsal fin. To recreate him as a fixed specific variety is very difficult as he has many unset traits and his progeny would produce many variations. This can be accomplished through time and diligence, however as he sits now, he is a morph or a sport.

The fish in the image below are Koi Variety. This pair consists of a Sunset blush based superveil Koi and an orange based standard fin Koi. The predictability of the progeny is at avery high ratio, 99.8 % of the fry will depict the traits for Koi specifically. The other .02% will be dimorphism.

Last edited by Indian Woods Angels; 09-07-2012 at 03:36 PM.