· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Beautiful!
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp, Black Neon Tetras

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff great pics that angel is really cool looking!!
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

20g Long --> currently concoting a build plan

Check out the journal to follow my 20g SW tank

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Hockeyhead, good to hear from you again

Quote Originally Posted by ~firefly~ View Post
    Lovely photos, Cliff. I always look forward to updates on your journals.

How does the angel stand up to the lions?
    Sorry Firefly, but i missed your question until now. The lions are very peaceful towards the angel as the angel is far to big to be considered as food. They all seam to get along very well.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the response. Interesting.

I stayed in a little hotel recently that had a lovely marine tank in the breakfast room - I always made sure we sat next to the tank every morning, and quizzed the owners on the maintenance and set-up of it before we left

You are responsible for my interest in marines. My aim is to have a wonderful soft coral set-up within the next ten years. Until then...I have lots of reading to do on the subject, and saving up!
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    Beautiful tank and fish. I actually started considering a marine tank while looking at the pictures but came back down to earth once I thought of the cost.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis View Post
    Beautiful tank and fish. I actually started considering a marine tank while looking at the pictures but came back down to earth once I thought of the cost.

There's always a lot of great deals on complete used set-ups in both Calgary and Edmonton on Canreef.com, if that is a option for you. You can save a large amount of $$$ through buying used

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    Fantastic looking tank Cliff. I've been so absorbed in keeping mine up I haven't had enough time to view the different journals.
    I looked at those lights but the price for two of them kept me at bay. They are a really nice LED light which I would have over my 48 inch tank if I had the bucks.

Make no doubt about it, I started my tank after looking at the journals on this site.
    I purchase a little at a time and the costs are not that bad but it takes awhile to get there which I'm still months away from.
    The one cost I found hard to swallow was the cost of live rock. At almost $9.00 a pound for Bali rock it cost an arm to get 40 plus pounds. After finding the man made rock at $4.00 a pound later, I could have kicked myself.
    I am still adding rock 10 pounds at a time and am now up to just over 60 pounds.

Thank Cliff for the inspiration. I'm hooked!
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds interesting. What about maintenance costs?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Strider199 View Post
    Fantastic looking tank Cliff. I've been so absorbed in keeping mine up I haven't had enough time to view the different journals.
    I looked at those lights but the price for two of them kept me at bay. They are a really nice LED light which I would have over my 48 inch tank if I had the bucks.

Make no doubt about it, I started my tank after looking at the journals on this site.
    I purchase a little at a time and the costs are not that bad but it takes awhile to get there which I'm still months away from.
    The one cost I found hard to swallow was the cost of live rock. At almost $9.00 a pound for Bali rock it cost an arm to get 40 plus pounds. After finding the man made rock at $4.00 a pound later, I could have kicked myself.
    I am still adding rock 10 pounds at a time and am now up to just over 60 pounds.

Thank Cliff for the inspiration. I'm hooked!
    Do you know what the man made rock is made of ?

Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis View Post
    Sounds interesting. What about maintenance costs?
    On going costs would include salt which a good quality one can run you anywhere between $70 to $90 for enough salt to mix about 220 gallons of water when you maintain the same salinity typically found around a coral reef. The rest of the on-going costs would be determined by they type of set-up you have. FOWLR can be a lot cheaper as a lot of reef tanks need stronger lighting requiring a little more power consumption and typically (but not always) require some type of supplement dosing to replace the elements in the water that get used by the corals and some types of algaes. If your get a RO unit, you would be looking at about $75 to $100 a year for new filters assuming your water quality is the same as in Calgary and/or Edmonton. I can make my RO filters last about 18 months with Saskatoon water (drawn from the north Saskatchewan river). All listed prices are from Calgary vendors so it should be fairly accurate.

Edit: I forgot to mention that if you are going to set-up a reef tank, there would be three extra test kits you would need to buy about every 18 to 24 months that cost about $15 each.

All of the above listed costs are based on additional costs over and above what you would have to pay for in a fresh water tank of equal size and stocking.
    Last edited by Cliff; 05-17-2013 at 10:04 AM.

Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast