· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    That makes sense. I know that Uaru Joey actually had a great place he ordered from in BC... I forget the name...

Honestly Ill end up enheritting a half of a salt water fish room... but the stuffs all from 1970 (still works great)... I may try my hands on a 55gal s/w with a refugiumless sump/overflow. I feel like I COULD do it... but I would have to be specific in the things I try to do.

Can I ask - whats the deal with the r/o water in s/w?
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

0 Not allowed!
    Feel free to ask anything you would like

A lot of it can boil down to personal preference if your tap water is very low in TDS.

This is also a topic than many people debate as well as many hobbyist becoming entrenched in their opinions.

I am of the opinion that you need to provide the best possible SW you can, short of having to go to the ocean to get it. If you buy a good quality salt (just a good quality one and not the $$$ reef crystals out there), that will provide you will all the minerals that you will need. Your parameters will be very close (if not match) that of the ocean in and near the coral reefs which is were we find most of the fish we keep in the hobby. If you use dechlorinated tap water, you will increase your mineral levels in your salt water which will effect your parameters to at least some extent. The exact extent will depend on the quality of your water and effects of this will vary greatly

I have read many things were people will make claims about keeping tangs in salt water made with tap water, using the agreement of the fish living for 10 years so it must be OK. Not ever realizing that the oldest scientifically verified tang in the wild was 38 years old. This is were the controversy comes in. How do you define the difference between thriving and surviving ? There is no black and white answer to that in all situations

Even tho the city I live in has among the best water quality of any city in Canada, I choose to use RO water so I have extra wiggle room should I make a mistake or can not complete a weekly water change for what ever reason. But I also have some of the more sensitive marine critters and corals like SPS and a red carpet anemone (but that is in my 180).

This topic to me is along the same lines as why most FW keepers keep there nitrate levels at 20ppm or less even tho nitrates do not reach toxic levels to most FW fish until they reach 40ppm.

I also like using it to lessen my work load and worry, but this is my lazy side coming out.

Does this help ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Helps a lot. So much like discus - its for the purity and more or less you are starting with a true blank slate to then add your minerals to it...

I was thinking about it and honestly thought with a high tds and high ph, the water im in would be idea with the sole addition of salt (shows how little I know...). I know my Grampa uses that instant ocean and tap water with some dechlor. Hes always been successful in his tanks here...

Honestly though its not feesable to go to the sea (even though tis a whole 15miles from where I currently sit) and lug home that much water... I also think its somewhat protected around here to doing that?

Back before I moved to Fl, I did end up setting up that 10gal we talked about with live rock, some zoas and a clown. I just never got to keep it for long. So im not afraid per sei... but im reluctant to go full force into it without the monetary backing. I can house my cichlids for pennys... not so much when it comes to the s/w!

0 Not allowed!
    Like I said, using tap can also be a personal performance

If you complete larger weekly water changes (like around 30 to 40%) and use RO water only to top up for evaporation, you should be fine. You just have to be very disciplined to your weekly maintenance. The key is to not let your TDS build up in your system over time (AKA old tank syndrome)

But I have also been referred to as a extremist by many of the regulars at our SW LFS.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I think most of us fall under that catagory here lol...

I would be more interested in just creating an ro top off like we talked about designing for my bulk unit on my fish rack *that is yet to be finished*

0 Not allowed!
    The butterflys that I ordered did not come in this week as our SW LFS's vendor did not have any in stock. Hopefully they will come in with his next shipment

I am getting a lot more of that really cool looking red/purple hair algae. I have taken off the GFO reactor to see if I can get more growth and better color out of it. I might even try to move the crabs and snails out of this tank as well to see if it will help the growth.

Once I get a new battery for my camera, I'll post some up-dated pics

1 Not allowed!
    Here's a pic of the reg hair algae

And here is a FTS. The water is a little cloudy as I just did a large water change

Awards Showcase

TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 To renew your energy from posting so much.  :) - WhistlingBadger TGIF back at you ;-) - steeler58 
    TGIF - showmebutterfly TGIF...too bad it only comes once per week :-) - Taurus TGIF indeed! - RiversGirl TGIF -- and TFAYH (thanks for all your help!) - wgoldfarb TGIF! - Compass 
    My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Wow, that algae is awesome, Cliff! ...brilliant colors (never thought I'd say that about algae, lol)

Hopefully the butterflys will be in sooner, rather than later
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Super cool man. I really like that red!

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys

I am really liking the red / purple colors as well. My photography skills do not really show it very well. I'll try to get a few better pics when the night lighting levels kick in. I think this time I will feed the lion fish first, I swear I had to take over 40 pics to get that one with him blocking the view as the lion fish kept begging for food.

Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast