· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

Default genocidex first salt water experience!

0 Not allowed!
    so here it is after a long and long day, yes i said long twice it was that long....

heres how the day played out, 7AM up and out by 730, trip to mother's appt to make sure everything was semi all set. ran into a problem, the tank we were suposed to use for SW was super dirty... looked like cat pee on the inside. dont think it was but it looked like it anyways. solution was use the tank we were planning on using for fresh water... so no problem good wipe out and it was all set. out of that house by 830 to head up the highway for a 2 hour trip. we got there and wouldnt you know it all our gps's died. asked a chicken for some directions, and then called the person from CL. found his house by 1030 and started the long task of tearing down his tanks. we picked threw everything and he showed me just about everything. really great guy i can say that enough. his live rock is in impeccable shape, he even kept a maintainence log for all his tanks. he did in both 30g tanks a 8g weekly water change with ro di water and salts. he measured and recorded every single parameter for it looked like years! we loaded everything up, and we were out by noon. trip home was about an hour and half since the traffic was less. we got home and drilled some holed in the stand to think forward to the sump system that we got with everything.

heres what i got: (yes pictures too!!!)

sump, with build in skimmer:
    IMAG0138.jpg

RODI unit (got it for 150 worth 250-300 and its still brand new!)
    IMAG0149.jpg

cpr bak pac 2 hob skimmer:
    (forgot to take a shot when it wasnt on the back but)
    IMAG0145.jpg

loads of live rock: (he said about 80# but i have no way to judge it myself):
    IMAG0144.jpg
    IMAG0146.jpg

that cooler was FULL of live rock, big pieces
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 

0 Not allowed!
    out of order but this is our truck loaded up
    IMAG0137.jpg

IMAG0141.jpg
    thats the hob overflow and hydor 4 pump (i think it was 1100 gph)

chemicals chemicals and test kits galore!
    IMAG0142.jpg

other things i didnt take pictures of:
    a power head with unknown flow rate (didnt think to look)
    a mostly full 5g bucket of salts from red sea
    a refractometer
    all sorts of test equipment extras and clearing stuff
    crud load of advice that was almost eco'd back to me from what was said here
    the live sand that had some cleaning crew that i didnt want to just cull.

i took his advice and i think im going to do a short cycle without curing the rock. i know the dangers with this bad algae growth hitchicked i didnt know about. i washed the sand with alot of water (salt water) mixed it good and all the cloud looked like it was from just the sand. and all the rocks looks really good. with all his parameters infront of me at the time i didnt see anything over 5ppm phosphates and i forget the highest nitrates but nothing stood out right. he kept his salinity at 1.025 and ph was i think 8.3 all the time. i didnt pay attention the the other tests much as i had no idea what to look for with that.

on the live rock he pointed out some sponges that were growing and good hitchikers that were with it all.

so any ways ill keep my questions for the last post in this.

now comes a BIG problem. the RO unit had no faucet adapter for it at all... nothing, checked the manufaturer's website and they dont include them so no RO water from that for a bit (it WILL be running before we get any fish i can assure you). one thing i liked when i was talking to the person was he asked how i was going to fill the tank. as soon as i said tap water he stopped me and explained the reasons that tap water would be a bad thing. (tested our tap anyways and the phosphates are around 1.5ppm and there was ammonia in the tap due to a storm. so it would have been a no go from that point) we ended up heading down to a LFS last minute before he closed and grabbed 45g of RODI water with the salt premixed... wow how expensive was that.... well we had no buckets either... so we hit homedepot for 9 5g buckets with lids and filled them to the tune of 100$ !!!!!!! i almost had a stroke. we could have did just plain ro water and mixed our own but i was too tired to argue against it.

heres the tower of bucket when we were done (thats only most of them... we had all the non homedepot stuff with old water and crud in it)
    IMAG0151.jpg
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    so we set up the tank with the rock work the way it looked good and then filled in the bare spots with the cleaned live sand to have a great look for now like this:
    IMAG0153.jpg

that light is just a t12 full spectrum to take the picture. and to possibly just keep the coraline algae alive until we test everything good and get fish and the t5no light fixture.

now for the questions:
    there were some clean up crew, about 5 snails and 3 hermits in the tank. im watching the water parameters closely to make sure they arent dieing and stinking up the water. should we be feeding these anything or would they all just graze on the algae in there?

since we decided not to recure the rock, should we be adding any ammonia to keep the bb alive?

i would still like to recure the rock but the actual owner of the tank dosnt want that good algae to die off. would this cause any problems that im not aware of? i will definatly be checking those parameters on a daily basis to see if anything bad is leaching into the water.

think it looks good? i set up 3 bigish caves the fish can get in and out of super easy, and loads of hidey holes they can work into easily. so im hoping it is a good set up to reduce stress and give the fishy friends a great home. as the CL person said (and i love that he said this) "its easy to just get the fish to survive in the aquarium, but thats complete C$%^ if you ask me. your goal as an aquarist is to make your fish THRIVE in your home." that was one of the many snippets of advice that made me realize this guy took VERY good care of his thanks and the fish inside. the wife and childern were all in it together too...

cant wait to get this going even better....
    shopping list now:
    blue crud for the HOB skimmer (its shooting out bubbles badly.) also need to set it even better than it is now.
    return pump for the sump
    decent lighting that will hold on till next spring (then uping to t5ho then finaly to DIY leds)
    faucet adapter for the RODI unit
    hydor 4 pump
    and i think that is on the list atm.... unless im missing something.....

defiantly a different creature than freshwater.
    gotta love them bunnies!

0 Not allowed!
    Excellent. Welcome to a different and fun learning experience !!!

Your BB will be fine for a few weeks, no need to worry about that

I would suggest adding a little seaweed to a small pc of rock for the crabs and snails to eat after a few days. If you recure your rock or not, can be a personal choice sometimes. However, if his phosphates were really at 5ppm, you rock will be leaching out phosphates for a while if not re-cured. Once you add higher level lighting with your T5HO, you'll get a algae farm. Also, as natural sea water in/around the coral reefs where all the fish we keep come from, the water has between 0.1 and 0.003ppm phosphates, this could have other long term negative effects

You can also get the tap adapter for a RO unit on-line form places like Marine Depot. I can post a few links to some if you would need. That is a really good quality RO unit you got as well.

Quote Originally Posted by genocidex View Post
    asked a chicken for some directions, and then called the person from CL.
    What ????
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    i was actually just looking at the scale again and im thinking his writting was .5ppm and again this was the MAX i saw.... but we will be seeing if its leaching out into my tank lol. i have cheeto (sp?) from him if that would be something i can throw in for the cuc i have in there allready?

basically his tanks looked fanominal and he was gorwing and making thrive some (i cant verifie this) of the hardest to keep sps (i think) corals.... again i wasnt planning on doing any corals but we might be thinking of doing some basic softs eventually.... nothing more than 3 or so.

would t5no be able to suport some of the easier corals if we decided to get them later (i think im going to pick threw the stocking and stock reef safe just incase we decide to get the corals).... its a slippery slope we are on... soon we'd have a 200g all reef tank with super high tech bs in it... i can just see that in a few years .... mark my works XD....

OH i forgot to add what we are planning with that sump. i think im taking out the exsisting live rock in there (its going to be deader than dead when we get the sump on i bet) with the cheeto (sp?) stuff to suck up any extra nutrients
    Last edited by genocidex; 08-04-2014 at 02:36 AM.
    gotta love them bunnies!

1 Not allowed!
    0.5ppm of phosphate is no big deal.

You can grow some of the easier corals (like zoas palys and mushrooms) with T5NO, you will just have to place them higher on the rocks to get more of the light they need.

Now what about the directions form the chicken ?
    Last edited by Cliff; 08-04-2014 at 02:43 AM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

1 Not allowed!
    well he wasnt too much help because he was rambling on about the cow stealing the dog food alot and the cats drinking from the farmer's coffee too... i think the chicken had a screw loose or something... just about every other word was cluck....

so would chaeto (i found the right spelling XD) be a good food of the crabs in there now or should i get the seaweed?
    gotta love them bunnies!

0 Not allowed!
    Give it a try, you got nothing to loose.

I know a lot of fish will eat it, but I have never tried feeding it to snails or crabs.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    As for the return pump from sump to tank im thinking of this: http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Pumps-...ive-Pumps.aspx
    Suposed to be the same as the supreme mag-drive with a longer cord... for the price idt I can beat it. I should be getting 800-700 gph with the head space I have... im guessing closer to 750. Because its about 4' return. The hod overflow is 2" so It should handle that without a problem. That would bring the total flow In the tank to 3200gph+- w/o the skimmer think thats enough? I still need to look at the skimmers rated lol.
    gotta love them bunnies!

0 Not allowed!
    That pump should work OK and should give you about 500 gph of flow through the tank (loss of 100gph of each foot of hight and 100 for a few fittings). That would be pretty good for a 55 gallon tank. Add a few power heads for directional water movement throughout the tank and you should be set