· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thoughts

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You are quite welcome, and thank you! - mommy1   For the Blue Tetra. A treasure they are. - Strider199   Here's a GBR -- goodluck! - ameliaaahx   For your first SW tank, and thanks for the rep - Cliff   welcome to the darkside - Crispy   

0 Not allowed!
    Got a spare HoB with some really fine grain media in it you can slap on for a day or so?

I'm not a big fan of those stupid stock blue carbon inserts a lot of companies use, but when this happens I run them for a day and it usually fixes it permenantly. Happens a lot with some substrates. Should be totally normal.
    "A grain of sand is all I ever wanted to be. Lay me down and let the water wash over me, wash over me." -Mickey Newbury
    ~-~-~ }~)){'> <}MocE{> }~)){'> ~-~-~
    Prove that size doesn't matter www.bigfishcampaign.org
    Painted fish belong on canvas, not in aquaria www.deathbydyeing.org

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed one! - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah im just gonna do some water changes and hopefully that will fix it or speed it up. Only takes me ten min start to finish to change it. Pythons r lifesavers. Also my other tanks benefit becasue if i get the python out it takes me another ten min. to change out all my tanks. I am curious about these fine grain media that u r talking about. All i ever use is the carbon inserts that come with the filters. Hopefully before long i will finally move and my fiance will agree to get rid of all my tanks and get the 90 or 220 that i want!! Although i will probably keep the ten i just set up. Love this tank. First time i ever really planned a tank before i got started. I think from concept to finish product i am somewhere between 6 to 8 months on the setup. I spent alot of time on craigslist waiting for a cheap 10 with filter, hood and a heater to come along. I bought a new empty tank when i started. Just none of the componets to it. I got the heater hood filter and the tank for twenty bucks.
    No politically incorrect jokes here.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You are quite welcome, and thank you! - mommy1   For the Blue Tetra. A treasure they are. - Strider199   Here's a GBR -- goodluck! - ameliaaahx   For your first SW tank, and thanks for the rep - Cliff   welcome to the darkside - Crispy   

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah just those cheap blue inserts are what I meant. They are finer grain than I am used to because I usually chuck them and replace them with either the thicker sponge stuff, or ceramic in a bag. My LFS also has this stuff that looks like wild sponge, like all brown and course and stiff, but it pulls heavy metals and such out of the water really well. Its kinda spendy so I don't usually use it, but it works really well as a pre-filter or like a stage 1 or 2 mechanical. Because of the course stuff I use tho all it really catches is plant matter, old food, and works as a surface for the bacteria. But when I need to filter out really fine grain sand, or dirt, or anything that colors the water I have to throw in one of the cheap carbon ones for a day or so. Short term like that is really all those are good for. If used long term they just make things worse.
    "A grain of sand is all I ever wanted to be. Lay me down and let the water wash over me, wash over me." -Mickey Newbury
    ~-~-~ }~)){'> <}MocE{> }~)){'> ~-~-~
    Prove that size doesn't matter www.bigfishcampaign.org
    Painted fish belong on canvas, not in aquaria www.deathbydyeing.org