· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Wisteria - very long stems, roots appearing at "nodes" in the middle - how to plant??

0 Not allowed!
    Hi everyone,

I'm very new to plants and have gotten my hands on a number of 12"+ long wisteria plants. But I have no idea how to plant them - both ends of the stem have leaves on them, and the roots are appearing at "nodes" (if I'm using the term correctly) along the middle of the stalk, every 4" or so.

How do I plant this in the substrate?

Do I need to cut the plant near the rooted points and plant the roots into the substrate? I'm nervous of just cutting it up without a bit of guidance from the more experienced aquarists for fear of just killing it!

My tank is a 10g, so I need these plants to be more like 8" - 10" tall and growing from the substrate, instead of floating, as they currently are, and blocking out all the light!

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!
    "We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice." - Mamoru Oshii

Default If the growth is leggy, You need more light.

0 Not allowed!
    You can just cut them exactly where your common sense was telling you to and then plant them.

Decent light and substrate & some ferts and they will take right off.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Common for Wisteria. Nothing to worry about. Just whack 'em off anywhere. The more you cut, the more they thicken up.

oops......anywhere not anyway! *sigh
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 09-03-2012 at 04:05 AM.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Cut them at the nodes leaving a piece of root on each stem. Trim the root and the top of the plant and plant the roots in the substrate. Should give you some nice bushy wisteria in no time.

0 Not allowed!
    I have HEARD(without personal experience) that after cutting stem plants they should not be planted in the substrate right away, but left floating for a few days to let the cut wounds heal and become less prone to rotting up from below. As said I don't have personal experience with that but it doesn't really hurt to try...

0 Not allowed!
    I have planted again right away and I have also bunched up all the stems I've cut, banded them together and just dropped the whole bunch back in the tank. Within two weeks, I have roots and then planted them. I would hate to try to plant them in gravel tho.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Fantastic, thanks so much for the advice! I had heard that it was a very easy plant, which is why I grabbed it, and I'm glad that pruning it is just as easy.

I hacked it up and popped all the bits into the substrate, with some effort, to make sure that they're getting all the root-tab-goodness. The person that I got them from just letting them float to grow, so they've got all kinds of random kinks in them. I'm hoping that they'll straighten out a bit and start to stretch upward towards the lighting? They're a bit of a motley crew at the moment, pointing every which way in the tank!

If they don't sort themselves out, this will just have to be a jungle tank. As long as the plants don't die, I'll call it a success!
    "We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice." - Mamoru Oshii

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    They'll straighten out. They like light too much.