· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Good Job! - Lady Hobbs   

Default The Fluval Edge Fish Tank of Doom ...

0 Not allowed!
    Hi guys ... I have some questions about one fish tank I have that seems to be the fish tank of doom and cursed to kill all living beings in the universe. I have several fish tanks; all the same kind ... they are fluval edge 12 gallon tanks. All of them except 1 use the standard aquaclear 20 style filter. The one I'm having issues with has a fluval 106 canister filter ... it should be the best tank with the awesome filter but it is the tank of doom.

All the tanks I have are heavily planted with anubus, driftwood, and all kinds of live plants and are kept at 80 degrees. If I test the water on all the tanks they are identical, near perfect water. In the 2 tanks that are thriving I have between 3-5 little african cichlids and snails ... those 2 tanks have no issues at all.

Now let’s talk about the tank of death and the gateway to hell. This tank as mentioned has everything that the other tanks have except it has a canister fluval 106 and not an aquaclear 20. Whatever fish go in that tank die almost immediately. So to give you some history that tank was perfectly fine for months when I had the aquaclear filter on it. The tank had cory cats, otto cats and 3 firemouth cichlids ... was thriving. I decided to change out the aquaclear 20 for a better fluval 106 because the cichlids were slobs and I wanted for media room for carbon and ammonia removal. I swapped the filters, kept the existing media from the old aquaclear 20 and reused it as a starter for the new media to establish, bio bags, etc as to not disrupt the tank. I put the intake tube in at about the bottom of the tank and the outlet at about the middle. Everything was fine ... then suddenly all the fish started swimming to the top and in the morning they were all dead except for 2 cory cats.

I checked the water and it was perfect, I let the tank sit with just the 2 cory's in it for 2 weeks to re-establish and kept checking the water ... (which remained perfect). Everything seemed fine so I got 2 little firemouths, put them in ... a few hours later they were dead and the cory's were dead too. I hadn't used any chemicals or any items that I don't use on my other tanks and they are thriving.

So I started to lose interest in the tank and just let it sit, the water levels dropped and now the outlet tube from the fluval 106 was near the water level. Well I noticed 1 of my other cichlids had taken a bit of a beating so I pulled it out of a healthy tank and put him in the tank of doom. The water tested perfect, I expected the fish to die in minutes in there since the tank is cursed and the fish was beat to heck.

The next day the fish was fine ... I was dumstruck. A month later the fish was still fine. I tested the water and had it tested, used multiple testers to ensure that one singe test kit wasn't spoiled, and everything was fine.

So I added to water from one of the other tanks to top off the tank of death and the next day I went out and got another small african cichlid and 2 otto cats ... that night both africans were dead ... WTF? Water is fine ...

Then I thought, the only think I did different was add some water ... my thoughts are now ... even though the fluval 106 is stronger than the aquaclear 20 it ejects water at the mid level of the tank and not at the top ... the only time fish ever lived in this tank even though it is heavily planted was when I let the water drop a few inches and the outlet was stirring the water surface ...

... Are the fish suffocating? That is the only thing I can think of is that the fluval edge aquariums need surface water agitation to oxygenate the water and that the fluval 106 filter is not oxygenating the water as effectively as the other tanks and their aquaclear 20's.

Any advice besides throwing the tank out? I included some pics.

Thanks folks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    The output tube is supposed to be at the top of the tank so it's moving water around. Without breaking up the waters surface, the fish are not getting enough oxygen. Them coming to the top of the tank is a sure sign of oxygen starvation. Having no problem with the other filter and then having deaths with this filter is a sure sign that it's the fault of the set-up of this filter?

The output does not need to be splashing all over but it does need to be moving the surface water.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Good Job! - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    I never really thought that would be the case, but I can't think of anything else it could be. I'm going to invest in a airstone since the fluval 106 is too awkward having the output at the top of the tank without dropping the water leve down to a point that makes the sealed top of the tank look silly and fill with air.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    That will do it for you.

BTW......the first night I set my first canister up, I did it just as you did. By morning, I nearly had a tank of dead fish, too.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Good Job! - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    I would think that 2 small cichlids would have been fine in a tank that size with that many plants even if the fluval outlet wasn't right ... fish suffocate far easier than I would have imagined.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Some think all the bubbles and splashing adds oxygen to the tank. What adds oxygen is the surface tension broken up so fresh air can enter.

For plants to produce oxygen, it needs to be a lot of plants in a fully planted tank under very good lighting to produce photosynthesis. When the lights go off, this process stops and so does any production of oxygen. Plants also appreciate oxygen.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Good Job! - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, I adjusted the fluval 106 output end up as much as I could without throwing water out of the tank and added a diffuser to the back of the tank with a decent size pump and a one way value ... that should do the trick you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a Neon for your losses :( - steeler58   Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - fishkeeper4   

0 Not allowed!
    That will work great! Yep I also bet on oxygen starvation. Or it could be carbon dioxide poisioning. Like LH said plants only produce oxygen during the day. At night though, they not only stop but they also release carbon dioxide themselves. Even if the oxygen levels were good enough, the carbon dioxide could have risen enough to block the fishes ablilty to absorb the oxygen. Having the surface of the water moving promotes not only absorbtion of oxygen but the release of carbon dioxide.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, that will certainly help. I would have liked to see a bubbler down at the bottom of the tank adding a bit of oxygen down lower but this should greatly help your problem.

I like the wood airstones myself. They diffuse bubbles and give a nice diffused spray. Good job and good luck.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Good Job! - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    Yes, that will certainly help. I would have liked to see a bubbler down at the bottom of the tank adding a bit of oxygen down lower but this should greatly help your problem.

I like the wood airstones myself. They diffuse bubbles and give a nice diffused spray. Good job and good luck.
    I just bought the first good stone I could find to suite the otto cats in there now. They are no longer darting to the surface, they have resumed their job of munching on everything. The JFP/Petco in my area lacks selection so no drifwood airstones on the first pass But if you can recommend one or have a link I'd like to see it.