· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Blue gill Q's

1. Default Blue gill Q's

0 Not allowed!
    Quick question is it illegal to take a bluegill out of a pond and house it in a pond/tank in my house ?
    Derek

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If I had to guess I'd say it's fine, but you'd have to check what the laws are where you live. You may need a fishing permit.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah i figured that , Thankyou :)
    Derek

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It can be illegal in several ways. If you're fishing without a license and are over 15 that is illegal and taking any native North American species of anything without the proper permits and licenses is illegal and a very costly fine. Now I don't think most people would care but the law is the law.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsully227
    Quick question is it illegal to take a bluegill out of a pond and house it in a pond/tank in my house ?
    As you live in England, I would check with your local lawes. I would imagine there would be lawes covering this topic, if not even making it illegal. This usally is the case in North America
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Is this a privately owned pond? Private ponds are usually not subject to the same regulations as waters of the state (streams, rivers, reservoirs, swamps, etc). If it is privately owned (and New England is just a region of the northeastern US, not actually England - just messing, Cliff ;) ) get permission to fish it, get a fishing licence, and a bucket. If you are fishing for them, go ahead and use a small hook and mash the barb down. This will reduce damage to it's mouth.
    Support your local ichthyofauna - buy a fishing license!

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    All the normal rules apply as if you were fishing with intent to, say, clean and eat the fish. So if it's legal for you to catch a bluegill, it's legal for you to keep said bluegill.

I don't know the rules out where you are, but in Michigan bluegills have no size limit or bag limit (maximum quantity you can take) but you do need a license.

On the subject of private waters, again, I don't know if this is a Michigan law or it works this way everywhere - but a pond is only considered private if it does not connect to any other waters. So if your spring fed pond overflows into a stream that connects to a public lake or river, you do not have a private pond. If it is private you just need the owner's permission - no license required, and other regulations like size limits and fishing seasons do not apply.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would say the rules/ laws vary a lot state to state. Here in WI it is only legal to own native species if you can prove you purchased them from a place like a fish farm.