· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

0 Not allowed!
    Cories might work, although you will need to get some proper aquarium sand or fine gravel. Bronze cories are big and pretty tough and I have seen them be kept with goldfish before. They are a type of bottom-dwelling schooling catfish -- very cute.

Maybe 8 of those, your Oranda and an upper school of something? The pink danios might work.

Also, I dunno if they would get eaten or not (zero experience with goldfish here) but what about Fancy Guppies? Or some Platies or Mollies. Probably wouldn't recommend Swordtails, mine are quite aggressive.
    Last edited by Amelia; 09-03-2012 at 06:16 AM.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ameliaaahx
    Soap in an aquarium -- yeesh, nightmare.

I missed -- do you have a heater? If you're gunna go into tropical fish you need to get one to prevent the temp from fluctuating too much, even if it normally stays warm by itself.

Pink Zebra Danios are genetically modified -- their DNA was infused with DNA from a jellyfish. It is not a cruel practice in any way as the fish themselves were never injected to look that way -- they are just born pink because of a man-made gene alteration. It is different than dying or tattooing, which is cruel and should not be supported. Cool fact -- pink danios glow under UV lights. :)

I personally like the Pink Danios and I guess if you water is warm anyway, they should work in your tank. They are a VERY active fish though so not the fish for you if you like slow, floaty "relaxing" fish.

I would not recommend the large neons with the goldfish.

Since your water is so warm, White Clouds and Gold Clouds might be a no-go. They like temps around 18C - 22C I think.

Cories might work, although you will need to get some proper aquarium sand or fine gravel. Bronze cories are big and pretty tough and I have seen them be kept with goldfish before. They are a type of bottom-dwelling schooling catfish -- very cute.

Maybe 8 of those, your Oranda and an upper school of something? The pink danios might work.

Also, I dunno if they would get eaten or not (zero experience with goldfish here) but what about Fancy Guppies? Or some Platies or Mollies. Probably wouldn't recommend Swordtails, mine are quite aggressive.
    Thanks for the reply and the info.

With regards to the heater - I don't have one just yet. Bought a thermometer recently to monitor my water. If my water is subject to fluctuations, I'll invest in a heater. But as of today and yesterday, the water temperature has hardly moved from 28C. Had to test the thermometer in ice water and boiling water to make sure the thermometer wasn't busted.

Our Oranda/Oranda's mouth isn't actually very big. Probably around 3" from mouth to the start of the rear fins. I don't think it can eat a 1" fish in one snap even if it tried, though it does move faster than the fancy goldfish bobbing around in the LFS aquarium. Maybe the really small neons would end up as snacks for it, but other than that - I don't think it has what it takes to eat small fast moving fish. Seems perfectly happy with the pellets too!

Maybe the Pink Danios aren't so bad after all. I might just buy 10 Pink Danios to give it a try when the tank is all set-up. I'll also have to look into the Cories. Will also look into guppies, platies and mollies. Looks like I got a lot of internet surfing to do today.

WRT to fish preference - I like schooling fish. But because I renovated my aquarium on my remaining Oranda's behalf, I can't bear to give him/her away. It just wouldn't be fair to the fish :D

Again, many thanks :D (And yes, Soap in the aquarium = nightmare. Poor tetras.)
    Last edited by mda; 09-03-2012 at 06:39 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Even if he will not eat them, neons are very shy fish and I don't think they would do well with a big scary goldfish.

I would get a heater before any tropical fish -- the temperature must drop at different times of the year or at night sometimes. It's a must-have for tropicals. Even if it's not enough to kill your fish, they are much more vulnerable to diseases like ich if they get shocked by a change in temperature. You'll kick yourself if you don't get one because you don't think you need one, and then one of your fish gets ich from a temperature swing and it wipes out your whole tank -- including your Oranda.

I think 10 or 20 Pink Danios would look nice, with around 8 Bronze Cories on the bottom. If you get livebearers like Platys or Mollies you should get all males or all females because otherwise you will soon be over-run with babies, although your goldfish will probably make a good dent in the population. On second thought I would probably not recommend guppies.

And your welcome!

0 Not allowed!
    I think by pink danios you are actually referring to the glofish? They are the same as regular danios and they can all be together.

http://glassbox-design.com/2010/gene...-glofish-neon/

Being in a tropical area and the goldfish already in a somewhat warmer tank than goldfish prefer, I see no need for a heater. The glofish should be just fine but you may also want to look into the white clouds. I really would not keep any other tropical fish with a goldfish. Tropcial fish and goldfish simply are not supposed to share a tank due to their different requirements.

0 Not allowed!
    LH -- I didn't think White Clouds would be comfortable at 28C. That's warmer than my tropical tanks.

And with the heater I didn't mean to heat it up further, I meant just to stop it from dropping down to too low. Eg. set at around 22C so it would only ever kick in if the tank started to get too cool for the glofish, ect.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    I think by pink danios you are actually referring to the glofish? They are the same as regular danios and they can all be together.

http://glassbox-design.com/2010/gene...-glofish-neon/

Being in a tropical area and the goldfish already in a somewhat warmer tank than goldfish prefer, I see no need for a heater. The glofish should be just fine but you may also want to look into the white clouds. I really would not keep any other tropical fish with a goldfish. Tropcial fish and goldfish simply are not supposed to share a tank due to their different requirements.
    Thanks. Calling all the fish stores I'm aware of. Currently can't find any white clouds/gold clouds, no shipment according to them. Mostly Zebra Danios (0.25$/per) and Pink Zebra Danios (0.5$/per).

In our area, I think goldfish and tropical fish are mostly one in the same. All the local fish stores I've visited do not even use a heater for their fishes. And among the few shops I've seen selling heaters, most have what appears to be the lower quality variety ones (maybe 5$ heaters that look like a giant cheap thermometer) -- that I dare not trust my fish/house with. (are those 5-10$ heaters even safe?)

With regards to the dirtiness of the goldfish, I'm hoping a 67G tank with good filtration can handle two with a bunch of smaller hardier fish.

Quote Originally Posted by ameliaaahx
    LH -- I didn't think White Clouds would be comfortable at 28C. That's warmer than my tropical tanks.

And with the heater I didn't mean to heat it up further, I meant just to stop it from dropping down to too low. Eg. set at around 22C so it would only ever kick in if the tank started to get too cool for the glofish, ect.
    The water tonight still at 28C. Given it's approaching the coldest time of the year, (nearing Dec-Feb), we'll get to see/continue to monitor the temperature in the coming weeks.
    Last edited by mda; 09-03-2012 at 12:07 PM.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The lonely Oranda:

Looks like I need to re-add some antibiotics/rock salt to the tank. The Fungal growths used to be larger but have already shrank with some treatment.

One on the head (2nd pic), and one where the tail meets the body (not so obvious but in the 1st pic).