· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default 75 Gallon Tank. Has One Oranda. Looking for Tankmates

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all.

EDIT: TANK VOLUME IS ~67G not 75G
    I'm currently rebuilding our aquarium. ~67G, 48"x18"x18".

Currently home to one Oranda.

Probably 4 years old, around 4" long, doesn't appear to be growing anymore.

Would like to add other fish other than goldfish and angelfish. No plecos either.

For sentimental reasons, I don't want to dispose of the goldfish.

I'm thinking that maybe a large tank and having just one oranda will make it possible to add other (possibly schooling) tankmates?

Any thoughts, comments?

Build thread is HERE

Lonely fish in the aquarium:
    Last edited by mda; 09-01-2012 at 12:34 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    It would have to be coldwater fish so that cuts the list way down. White Clouds maybe?

Orando's grow to about 10" so not sure why he is so small after 4 years. How long has he been in that tank? If he was in a small tank, he is perhaps stunted.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    It would have to be coldwater fish so that cuts the list way down. White Clouds maybe?

Orando's grow to about 10" so not sure why he is so small after 4 years. How long has he been in that tank? If he was in a small tank, he is perhaps stunted.
    No idea if stunted or not.

A small strain of goldfish maybe?

For the longest time, used to be 8 Orandas in the tank with a decent filtration system and regular water changes. Not as regular as it should have been (as I read now that goldfish are very dirty), but definitely cleaner than when the other 7 died off.

S/he has been in the 67 gallon tank ever since.

Not sure how we could have stunted the growth otherwise.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry, no edit button.

I've read that Orandas should be living between 22 and 26C.

Not sure what the current water temperature is now, but does this mean that assuming I can monitor and keep the proper water temperature, I can expand the fish species I can choose from to populate my tank?

Thanks!

0 Not allowed!
    As far as I'm aware goldfish are uncomfortable in the higher temperatures. Most tropical fish require water of 26C+.

I'd be following LH's advice and sticking to White Cloud Minnows. A school of Gold Cloud Minnows would also be really nice.

I could be wrong but I believe Hillstream Loaches and Dojo loaches prefer cold water.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all.

Got a thermometer and plugged it in.

Water is reading 28C.

I live in a tropical country (near the equator). Maybe all our local goldfish has adapted to our weather.

Hope this can open up my options.

EDIT: Will have to look up the white/gold cloud minnows as well as the loaches. Don't know if these go by any other name in our local fish stores. Thanks for the suggestions! Keep them coming! Greatly appreciated :D
    Last edited by mda; 09-02-2012 at 06:27 AM.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Semi repost from other thread (mispost there) with some additions.

I measured the goldfish again today. 3" w/o the fins and 4" with the fins.

Looking at dropping a second Oranda in the tank.

Locally, the fish stores have stock of Pink Danios and Zebra Danios.

Searching on the internet, it appears that the Danios CAN get along with the small orandas. Any thoughts? Also, how many total small fish can I afford to have with my tank setup?

Aquarium will be filtered by an overhead filter as well as an Eheim 6L 2217 canister. (Again, please see my build thread.)

Thanks!

0 Not allowed!
    How long are the lights on each day? Perhaps the lights are warming the tank up, as well.

I'm not sure how he would do with another Oranda especially if the other grows to what he should be. The smaller one may end up getting bossed and pestered by the other as it becomes larger. Then again, if the other is a baby and grows up with this one, they may be pals.

I don't know. I've never had a goldfish in my life.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    How long are the lights on each day? Perhaps the lights are warming the tank up, as well.

I'm not sure how he would do with another Oranda especially if the other grows to what he should be. The smaller one may end up getting bossed and pestered by the other as it becomes larger. Then again, if the other is a baby and grows up with this one, they may be pals.

I don't know. I've never had a goldfish in my life.
    The light - for the past few years, not very often. They used to be used for my sister's neon tetras around 10 years ago. Didn't see much use after the house help accidentally used soap to clean the aquarium and wiped out the colony.

The aquarium does get normal ambient light though, as the aquarium is sitting in a shaded area of our garage. Never directly exposed to sunlight.

Went to the local fish store. Their Orandas are elongated in shape. Shaped more like a common goldfish/koi than the rounded Oranda we have. Perhaps what I have is a specific sub/strain of Oranda?

Are the so called "Pink Danios" genetically modified? Can't dig up so much information on them. If so, I won't take them. How are the Zebra Danios? The LFS claims that they haven't had supply of WCMM for a while already :/

I also have the option to get larger sized neon tetras. I've seen them and definitely don't fit in the mouth of the Oranda. Not my favorite since they're noticeably more fragile and probably won't hold up well unless the aquarium is really overfiltered. Let's see when I get to set up the Canister...
    Last edited by mda; 09-03-2012 at 05:53 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Soap in an aquarium -- yeesh, nightmare.

I missed -- do you have a heater? If you're gunna go into tropical fish you need to get one to prevent the temp from fluctuating too much, even if it normally stays warm by itself.

Pink Zebra Danios are genetically modified -- their DNA was infused with DNA from a jellyfish. It is not a cruel practice in any way as the fish themselves were never injected to look that way -- they are just born pink because of a man-made gene alteration. It is different than dying or tattooing, which is cruel and should not be supported. Cool fact -- pink danios glow under UV lights. :)

I personally like the Pink Danios and I guess if you water is warm anyway, they should work in your tank. They are a VERY active fish though so not the fish for you if you like slow, floaty "relaxing" fish.

I would not recommend the large neons with the goldfish.

Since your water is so warm, White Clouds and Gold Clouds might be a no-go. They like temps around 18C - 22C I think.