· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Cichlid Identification - please help!

0 Not allowed!
    Hi,
    I'm trying to identify a couple different cichlids that were recently ordered in at the pet store I work in. I'm fairly certain at least one of them was labelled incorrectly. The distributor I purchased them from is no help at all!
    Any help identifying these fish would be greatly appreciated!

This fish was labelled at Pseudotropheus Socolofi. He's darker than usual in this photo. He's normally light to medium blue with darker blue 'splotches' all over his body in no distinctive pattern.

These fish were both labelled Albino Pseudo. Socolofi. I'm thinking the top photo is a male, and the second is a female. They both chase and dance with each other constantly.

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/.../WP_001620.jpg

2. Default Continued.

0 Not allowed!
    I know these photo's are pretty bad, but these guys were labelled Sunshine Peacock. You can't really tell from these photos but both have muted twinges of yellow and orange in between their stipes. Their dorsal fin has a bit of red along it's base and top, but the fin itself is mostly grey looking. These guys are chums, too.

Like I said, any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

0 Not allowed!
    The first one, I'm not really sure of, but it's not a Socolify. It looks more like some kind of Peacock. The Head shape, mouth shape and colour just doesn't point to it being a Socolify.

The second one, I woulds say is a Socolify, but it's not an Albino. Albinos are white, with pink eyes.

The Peacocks appear to be Sunshines - probably females because of their drab colours. Or they're still really young. You'll know if you have males because they will turn a pretty yellow and their cheeks and bottom jaw will sometimes turn bright blue.

Albino Socolify.

Female Sunshine Peacock.
    Last edited by escamosa; 08-31-2012 at 11:05 PM.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

0 Not allowed!
    The top one is definitely a female peacock. Looks like possibly a red shoulder but its hard to ID females.
    Coastie-to-be... hopefully.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    First one i'm pretty sure is a peacock, not sure what kind. The second one though, it kinda looks like a juvenile kenyi to me.
    Da name's Paul. Not Dave. ROFL

Learn to give and take. That's how things should always work.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Northerly
    The top one is definitely a female peacock. Looks like possibly a red shoulder but its hard to ID females.

at second glance, this female has blue blotches. NOT red shoulder.
    Coastie-to-be... hopefully.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for all of your suggestions!
    I looked up "Blue Dolphin's" and I'm 95% sure that's what that first photo is.
    The other batch of photos (the supposed Sunshines) were the ones I was most curious about. I'm leaning towards Sunshines for them too, so thank you for your suggestions! As for the mystery socolofi I will just keep looking around for what he might be.

Thanks all!

0 Not allowed!
    Regarding the first fish
    Quote Originally Posted by m.kyleen
    He's darker than usual in this photo. He's normally light to medium blue with darker blue 'splotches' all over his body in no distinctive pattern.
    I'm kind of leaning towards a very juvenile cyrocarta moorii (malawi 'blue dolphin'), something about the eye, mouth shape and head shape is leading me to this conclusion. Juvie c. moorii typically display temporary blotches which disappear as the fish matures (they become more pronounced when the juvie is intimidated or insecure).

The second one is a pseudotropheus socolofi displaying 'stress' barring. These patterns will eventually disappear once the fish becomes established and matures and aren't permanent markings in any way.
    African cichlid and saltwater aquariums

http://www.rowelab.com/AquaControlle...9&scope=last24

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kaybee
    Regarding the first fish

I'm kind of leaning towards a very juvenile cyrocarta moorii (malawi 'blue dolphin'), something about the eye, mouth shape and head shape is leading me to this conclusion. Juvie c. moorii typically display temporary blotches which disappear as the fish matures (they become more pronounced when the juvie is intimidated or insecure).

The second one is a pseudotropheus socolofi displaying 'stress' barring. These patterns will eventually disappear once the fish becomes established and matures and aren't permanent markings in any way.
    Yes Bingo on these two. The moori looks very stressed though.

The third picture looks like some sort of a Lab. cross or sub adults. Is there a Lab. Crabroe or something that looks like this?