· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Question Setting up new tank, with possible cats.

0 Not allowed!
    Okay: firstly, i need to know the averages adult sized of the following:
    Eclipse cat:
    Silver tip shark cat:
    Pictus cat:
    Second: are there any other small cats similar to the ones above?
    Thirdly: can i put a black ghost knife in with any of the cats? Just one. I havent fully researched this fish yet.
    Next, is it possible to put a small puffer in with a cat?
    So i am setting up a brackish aquarium, and i am trying to decide what to put in it. I can only get as big as a 55gal. so im aware that i can only get a few of the fish i want, im thinking only 2 or three. Any advice, comments, concerns better ideas? I want to know everything before i start all this. Its possible for me to uprade to a larger tank,but not for a good 6 months to a year. The fish are only 2"-3" in size right now usually anyway and i know the BGK grows slowly.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The BGK is going to need closer to 100, not a 55, and I don't think its brackish, puffers are though, try one of them
    RIP Shark Bait, my Red Tail Shark :(

0 Not allowed!
    Black Ghost Knives are freshwater, not brackish. Pick one or the other, not both. They should not be mixed.

And anyway, Ice is right. You'll need atleast 100g for a BGK -- I really wanted one for my 70g but have had to give up on that idea because the fact is, it's just too big of a fish.

Other than that, I can't really help you. If you mean Pimelodus pictus, maybe 3 of these might be okay in your tank -- what is your tank dimensions? They are an extremely active fish which need a lot of room to romp. They are not brackish though, they are a freshwater fish. http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog...species_id=276

There are a whole range and synodontis cats which may work in your tank, although I think most of them are freshwater.

I don't know a heck of a lot that goes in brackish tanks, other than some puffers, mono angels (too big for your tank) and bumblebee gobies (tiny and very difficult to feed). Why is it exactly you want brackish?

Planet Catfish has a lot of info on catfish. I'm sure you could find plenty of options for your tank there.
    Last edited by Amelia; 08-31-2012 at 06:10 AM.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No go on adding puffers with any other fish other than puffers. They AGGRESSIVE fish. You could do an all-puffer tank, there are many kinds of astonishing patterns of puffers. Goggle Figure-8, Leopard, couple others. (Later in their life you would need to add salt, but in doing a all puffer tank is easy due to having nothing but puffers.) Pictus catfish are very aggressive and territorial once they reach adulthood as well.

+1 to above. BGK get too big for your tank.

I would do a puffer only tank, they can get good size and would have fun swimming around with they're small almost comical fins.

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the above.

Puffers with puffers only. One single, or 1 male plus two or more females.
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 2 Conga Tetras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora