· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cat Stress

Unhappy Cat Stress

0 Not allowed!
    So my baby girl Luna is 5 years old. She is an Americian short hair. Since last November she has been over grooming herself to the point of making bald spots. Luckliy she doesnt cause damage to her skin.

I took her to the vet and she told me that Luna was just stressted out and to use Nature Remedy, which is a flower extract that is suppose to be soothing. This worked for awhile but once again Luna is over grooming.

Has anyone else ever had this problem and if so how did you fix it?

FYI Luna doesnt have fleas nor a skin condition. I had her tested for any possible medical cause for the over grooming. I have been all over the web trying to figure this out and still no answer.
    Roll the Dice!

0 Not allowed!
    I picked up some stuff at walmarts for when my cat got bald spots. It's an oitment to put on those area's. It worked.

Awards Showcase

hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, I had a cat that used to do this very thing... he'd groom his belly completely bald. (about a 4 inch squarish section).

As my vet explained it to me, grooming in a cat releases endorphins (make you feel good), the feeling is associated with petting, and when momma cat used to groom them as a kitten. And as is the way with repetitive behavior that makes one feel good... its repeated... and repeated... and repeated until its basically a habit.

So there are two components to the issue, one is the stress causing issue... so look around and see... was there a significant household change?

And the second part is the habit. Which it sounds like the Nature Remedy may have helped with that before... Not sure if you have been using this continuously or have stopped, but it sounds like it may be time to break the habit cycle again.

In my case, I found I needed to have my cat on a prescription medication for about a month to break his habit. I also spent more time with him... if he started to groom, I'd watch him and step in to distract or pet him myself, so he'd be reassured. After a month, I stopped the medication and tested the waters to see how he would do... and he was good for the two years after that I had him. All his belly fur grew back.

But, in my researching when I was going through this, I can say that every cat is different. Some people had to continuously medicate, some people found they had to occasionally treat the situation as it was needed. It is essentially an OCD type situation for a cat.

0 Not allowed!
    It is possible the cat could have started with itchy skin for whatever reason, and licked the area to death...now that skin is irritated so the animal licks more. I went through a recent bout of a similar problem with my own cat...she was allergic to her flea prevention and licked bald patches. I took her to the vet and they gave her a Depo-Medrol injection which calmed the irritated skin. They also put a surgical collar on her for 2 weeks to break the habit. Once they removed the collar we gave her another Depo-Medrol injection just to ensure her skin would not be irritating her and start the habit again. It has worked, her coat as pretty much grown back in and everything is fine. Cats do develop OCD ticks especially with licking something that they can spend half their day doing anyway, this can be easily stirred back up if for example the animal did get a flea bite or whatever.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My cat Boosey used to shave his entire belly bald. I found that if i gave him an insane amount of toys and attention and a kitten (George) to raise he didnt lick himself as much, and eventually he completely stopped the overgrooming and was good and just licked George when he had the urge to lick something.
    10gal Betta Tank - Skye the crowntail and Squiggles the deformed albino cory
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

0 Not allowed!
    Try cuddling and petting him more. He may be feeling insecure . . . Is he left alone a lot? Some cats are independent enough they don't mind, but others crave affection. More human contact might just do the trick . . .

-- mermaidwannabe
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    First off please buy something from your trusted vet... over the counter meds are dangerous enough for people as it is let alone pets and pets have lower status then we do.( There is a reason why in some places/living suitations you cannot get access to most over the counter products)

Have you have any major or even minor changes lately, cats hate change and disprove of it in a lot of ways. Could it be diet related, grains can cause issues most cats do not eat well and end up having years taken off there live spans because of pet food

Thumbs up thank you everyone

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry for the late response. The Nature remedy is actually made for humans in the UK. It seemed to work but doesnt anymore.

You all have led me to review my life lol. Well the biggest change that has occured is my girlfriend moving in with her cat last year. The thing is I spend all my time with Luna the cat in question. She is always by my side. I have noticed I dont groom her everyday like I use to. So i am going to brush her every morning.
    Roll the Dice!

Awards Showcase

hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like you maybe found the original stressor, and its more a need to break the habit she picked up, and keep aware of what's going on with her.

I don't know if they have it there, and I have not personally tried it (was considering it a bit ago for other reasons) but there is a cat pheromone product called Feliway, which may be worth looking at.

Good Luck

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Feliway may work I have tried it but its expensive. The ideal suitation is to find out what might be bugging the cat and try to change it. maybe grooming her will help.

The reason I added pet food is because soo many cats eat low grade food and it probably causes problems sooner or later.