· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Nephs 10g riparium project

0 Not allowed!
    Forewarning folks, this is going to be a slow build. Most of the plants are prob going to be grown from starts or seeds, and money for our addiction is always an issue. However, we are the kind of people that try and leave a tank functional throughout all steps of upgrading so that it can have enough stock in it to still be usefull. If there is one thing I cannot abide it is a completely empty tank sitting ugly and wasted while it waits for me to get the next part. So keeping that in mind I'll toss up pics and steps along with our ideas so you all can see them, even if they do feel a little unfinished or bare. Suggestions are always welcome.

The end goal:
    Convert our 10g dwarf frog tank into a riparium. Final stocking ideas right now are Asian ghost cats, African ghost cats, African dwarf frogs. Possibilities are also our kuhli loaches, and if we can find one with a calm temperament like our current male, a vieltale or halfmoon Betta.

Current possible plans for plants are water lotus, water wisteria, and bladderwort. I am also researching acclimating black mangrove to freshwater, and some other flowering plants in the riparian family that I am still gathering names for.

Final substrate will be a base of some fertilized bottom layer, covered by local river sand (aka tiny colored pebbles from the upper McKenzie river), and a selection of larger stones placed in spots on top of that which we have already collected from the same river.
    "A grain of sand is all I ever wanted to be. Lay me down and let the water wash over me, wash over me." -Mickey Newbury
    ~-~-~ }~)){'> <}MocE{> }~)){'> ~-~-~
    Prove that size doesn't matter www.bigfishcampaign.org
    Painted fish belong on canvas, not in aquaria www.deathbydyeing.org

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Here is the location of the tank.

The one in question is the upper right tank of the three you can see. The tank on the uppe left is our split Betta tank. The tank on the bottom is our tetra species tank which is also mid progress and fairly new.

The black racks you can barely see in the pic are a large hanging rod picture frame shelf attatched to the wall. I'm planning on removing the couple of frames we have on it and using it instead as runners to support the plants as they grow out of the tank.

Here is a close up of the tank as it stands now:

We currently have some of the larger river stones we collected in there to keep them clean and tank worthy while we work on gathering the remaining items. The tank is also being used right now as a qt for some new longfin zebra danios, and a purple passion danio we picked up to add to our community, and a few yellow striped kuhli loach females that are going in our ghost knife tank with the males that are in there now. This is why the water is higher than it will be in the final setup. Plus it keeps the filter I have on there running.
    "A grain of sand is all I ever wanted to be. Lay me down and let the water wash over me, wash over me." -Mickey Newbury

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Here is an example of the river sand we are using as the substrate base:

And here is a shot of some of the mid sized rocks we picked up on our trip:

We really lucked out on being able to collect these. Many of them are beautifull when submerged, and they would have cost a small fortune to buy. Especially a huge piece of veined blue granite I found that weighs a good 80-100lbs. I'm saving that one for my large tank when i can finally get it tho. :p

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Here is a really vague idea of what I am attempting:

I do not own this image. All credit to the photographer.

This is the style of t5 ballast I plan on using:

Equipped with a couple 6500k-10000k bulbs.

And this is an example of the magnetic planters you can use for smaller plants that need to sit higher out of the water to fill out the open patches:

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh and in case anyone was wondering where the frogs are, since I said it was a dwarf frog tank that I was converting, they are temporarily housed in a smaller side tank while I put the new substrate in theirs, and use it as a quick 5 day qt. I was just proof reading and noticed it sounded kind of odd it was a frog tank but the frogs were just missing. :p They haven't run away yet.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Update:

Progress so far:
    -Added some rocks and a few small plants.
    -rehomed the danios that were in temp QT in this tank.
    -modified filter for lower water level and slower flow.
    -Put the two ADFs that live in here back in.
    -Bought two more albino ADFs that are in QT fattening tank.
    -moved our powder blue dwarf gourami in.

Next steps:
    -go to the river to grab more river sand for substrate, it's not deep enough.
    -new light ballast needed bad for the plants slowly being added.
    -magnetic side planters to ring the top edge with moss.
    -get some low level hydrophilic plants to fill out the rocks and stick frames.
    -get another batch of Fairy Moss or Duckweed to reinforce the DGs bubble nests.
    -might need to modify the filter intake to drop the water another 15% or so.
    -move our blue mystery snails in once there's enough algea bloom.

Anyone know if a few lyretail killifish would be ok tankmates with the African dwarf frogs and the dwarf gourami? I haven't been able to find them anywhere in town, but I would love to add some once I have enough hanging plants and stuff to provide cover.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Here is a pic of the yellow snowflake lily we have growing in the riparium right now. This was at the nursery before we got the plant, but we have one in our riparium and one in our community and both of them have a bunch of flowers just about to open up. Love this plant!

We also got a tiny white snowflake lily start that is growing in our bettas tank right now. It will be a long time before it roots well and starts to bloom, but patience is a virtue when it comes to plants.

I love this project so far. Doing the riparium has opened up a whole new world of things to research and try with our aquariums, that just weren't an option before. New plants, new animals, new equipment, NEW PLANTS!

Cant wait to get some carnivorous bladderwort and start feeding it little crustaceans.

Ive also got a friend who works for a custom window and door company who is pricing out some glass panes for me so I can start putting together measurements and plans for a large Paludarium cabinet project I'm thinking about starting some time down the road. I think that will be a crazy project too.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    A really beautiful tank.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Went out today and collected and cleaned some moss.

Got it sitting in a bucket with a little bit of water in the bottom under a light so I can try and cultivate some new green growth on it. Every couple of hours I mix it up and unbind it to keep it damp but not rotting.

As soon as I can identify the species and make sure it should be safe on the riparium I will be attaching it. Still working out the mechanics of how exactly.

Also went down to the lfs and asked if they had the magnetic planters I've been looking for. They can't get them so it looks like its going to be an online buy. I did however think about trying to buy one of those multi compartment betta torture boxes you can hang on a tank, as well as a magnetic algae scrubber. If I can pull the magnets out of the scrubber and silicone them to the betta boxes it should make a diy planter almost exactly like the ones I was looking at.

0 Not allowed!
    Very neat plans. I can't hardly wait to see the end results.
    Why, yes, I do have a podcast that has absolutely nothing to do with fish: Rural Adventures In Creativity And Sanity
    I started an aquarium journal! It is here on AC!