Aquarium Forum
 


Menu
  · Tropical Fish Home
· Fish News
· Aquarium Forum
· Buy & Sell
· Calculators
· Equipment reviews
· Free Aquarium Ebook
· Feedback
· Link to us
· Photo gallery
· Plant species
· Tropica Plant DB
Tropical fish species
· By Common name
· By Scientific name
Tropical Marine fish
· By Common name
· By Scientific name

_________________
 
      
        Via paypal

  AC news is a part of
      Nature Blog Network

      Reef Aquarium Blog

Privacy & Ad Policy

Articles
  · African Cichlids
· Algae Control
· Aquarium Decoration
· Aquarium Resources
· Aquatic Plants
· Barb Fish
· Betta Fish
· Breeding Fish
· Catfish
· Central American Cichlids
· Cichlids
· Clownfish
· Corals
· Corydoras Catfish
· Discus Fish
· Dwarf Cichlids
· Fish Diseases
· Frogs and Turtles
· Goby Fish
· Goldfish
· Gourami
· Invertebrates
· Jellyfish
· Killiefish
· Lake Victoria Cichlids
· Livebearers
· Malawi Cichlids
· Marine Aquariums
· Marine Aquarium Fish
· Other Fish
· Pleco
· Predatory Fish
· Photography
· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Hybrid View

  1. Default Do mbuna like current


    0 Not allowed!
    Just curious, I had a community tank set up, and I noticed the fish didn't like to go near the end with the filter exhaust, even after I aimed the nozzles up and against the glass. It's a powerful filter too. I was wondering if mbuna like the current, or should I keep it aimed the same?

  2. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Mbunas are from the shallow parts of the lake Malawi which I'm pretty sure has a lot of current/waves.
    Da name's Paul. Not Dave. ROFL

    Learn to give and take. That's how things should always work.

  3. #3

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Lake Malawi is the second deepest lake in Africa. There are very few areas of really shallow water. There is a couple of rivers feeding the lake, but I have my doubts whether there would be a great deal of current all of the time. I know from my experience with African Cichlids, that they really don't like a lot of current in their tank. I've found that if there's too much current in the tank, they will very rarely venture out from amoungst the rocks to swim in the open areas.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

  4. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by pjaldave
    Mbunas are from the shallow parts of the lake Malawi which I'm pretty sure has a lot of current/waves.

    Quote Originally Posted by escamosa
    Lake Malawi is the second deepest lake in Africa. There are very few areas of really shallow water. There is a couple of rivers feeding the lake, but I have my doubts whether there would be a great deal of current all of the time. I know from my experience with African Cichlids, that they really don't like a lot of current in their tank. I've found that if there's too much current in the tank, they will very rarely venture out from amoungst the rocks to swim in the open areas.

    Conflicting "opinions"...anyone know for sure either way please?

    I'm only sticking my nose in as I'm planning on Mbunas for my 2nd 67G tank.

  5. #5

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I would personally go with escamosa's advice as he's actually had experience with them - sorry Paul : )
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

  6. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by andreahp
    I would personally go with escamosa's advice as he's actually had experience with them - sorry Paul : )

    Thank you.

  7. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by escamosa
    Lake Malawi is the second deepest lake in Africa. There are very few areas of really shallow water. There is a couple of rivers feeding the lake, but I have my doubts whether there would be a great deal of current all of the time. I know from my experience with African Cichlids, that they really don't like a lot of current in their tank. I've found that if there's too much current in the tank, they will very rarely venture out from amoungst the rocks to swim in the open areas.

    Quote Originally Posted by andreahp
    I would personally go with escamosa's advice as he's actually had experience with them - sorry Paul : )

    have just read this:

    Mbunas appreciate lots of flow, they even enjoy swimming in it like it is a game.

    taken from an article about Mbunas on this forum:
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/cichlid/mbuna.php


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •