· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Question Training a Cat to Use Bed

0 Not allowed!
    Any suggestions? I just bought a cat bed with special catnip pouch under it that allows the smell of catnip to waft through the cushion. I assumed he'd use it, because catnip makes him sleepy. He refuses to lay in it though. :(

He is a 17yr old cat, is it even possible at this point to train him? He has learned a few tricks in the past year, so i know he is still capable of learning some things. :)

So far i have tried saying "bed" a few times, patting it, and leading him to it with a treat. Once he gets his whole body in the bed, i repeat the command, pet him, and give him the treat. Do you think this will work?
    10gal Betta Tank - Skye the crowntail and Squiggles the deformed albino cory
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

0 Not allowed!
    It depends on what mood Mr. Kitty is in. :) Haha! I know cats can be trained, but I have never been able to do it myself. Heck, if I tell my cat to get off the counter she just looks at me like I'm stupid.

Good luck!
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 12 Conga Tetras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

0 Not allowed!
    Doubt it. He might have been somewhat trainable 17 years ago but by now is dug into his old habits.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hm. Guess i have to get my grandma to let me adopt a kitten for my new bed. :)
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

Awards Showcase

hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    If you are replacing an old bed and just want to have him get used to using it, you can try putting it in the old bed spot.

Also if your cats like to sleep near you.. put it near where you spend time.

But training him to go to a bed for your own personal bossy reasons... not likely.

0 Not allowed!
    You screwed up the minute you let the cat know you wanted him to use the bed. Now if you had just tossed it down and scolded him away from it...you could bet your left butt cheek he would have became permanently imbedded on the new bed.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

0 Not allowed!
    One doesn't train a cat. The cat trains its owner. Universal law!
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I put the bed on the foot of my bed where he normally sleeps and kept up with my "bed *tap tap tap*" followed by treats, and now he uses it every night. :) Hes a wierd cat. Very eager to please... me. Like a loyal little dog. My grandma... MCHRKiller she would have to use your technique to make him use it.
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Put catnip in the bed, the cat will go to it.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramsarecool
    Put catnip in the bed, the cat will go to it.
    That was the original plan, but he must not have a good sense of smell anymore in his old age, because he paid it no attention. Thats why i used treats. :)

Isnt he adorable!?
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything