· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Impossible stock?

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 55 gal that I know is going to be massively overstocked but I'm cycling a second 55 right now to divide them up. According to what I understand what I have should have killed each other by now. How old do fish usually get there aggression? I have a 6in Oscar a 4in Dempsey 3 convicts a peacock cichlid a jewel and red jewel both female 3 mixed s.a. cichlids 2 12" rope fish a dinosaur eel bicher 4 3" balas a redtail and a rainbow. Can you guys help me sort them into a livable situation. They have all been fine together for 3months. The only aggression I see is the red tail harassing the rainbow.

0 Not allowed!
    Please post a picture of this tank.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!

0 Not allowed!
    Check the file name for capitalization or other typing errors.
    Check to see if the file was moved, renamed or deleted.
    The links you posted do not work, Try again please.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    Unfortunately cycling another 55 ain't gona solve all your problems. Balas grow to over a foot long, same with oscars, so neither of these fish are viable for a 55g
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

0 Not allowed!
    Maximum size for Rope Fish is very close to 3 feet, so they will eventually be no good for a 55g too.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hey I have the same setup of fishes they told me when I started that they would get along together but 2 years down the road and 3 upgrade along the way they seem to be happy. I have one redtail shark and yea he is the more aggresive of the sharks but that's normal give them plus of hiding places and feed them well and u should have no problems waiting until ur other 55 g is setup. The cichlids only mess around with themselves ithey did stressout my only female in the tank and killed herbut that was because of mating season. You do need a very very good filtation system so the water quality is ok for them I have a 150 g mix semi aggresive+ cichlids in it should be about 25 fishes in the tank without anyproblem the more the better for aggression issues. Hope it helpful hmu if anything...

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sharbait666
    Hey I have the same setup of fishes they told me when I started that they would get along together but 2 years down the road and 3 upgrade along the way they seem to be happy. I have one redtail shark and yea he is the more aggresive of the sharks but that's normal give them plus of hiding places and feed them well and u should have no problems waiting until ur other 55 g is setup. The cichlids only mess around with themselves they did stressout my only female in the tank and killed herbut that was because of mating season. You do need a very very good filtation system so the water quality is ok for them I have a 150 g mix semi aggresive+ cichlids in it should be about 25 fishes in the tank without anyproblem the more the better for aggression issues. Hope it helpful hmu if anything...
    As you can see from the above poster, he had two cichlids were killed due to aggression. Decide which fish you like the most and setup a home for it so it can live its full life

Quote Originally Posted by sharbait666
    You do need a very very good filtation system so the water quality is ok for them I have a 150 g mix semi aggresive+ cichlids in it should be about 25 fishes in the tank without anyproblem the more the better for aggression issues.
    Filtration does not do anything for nitrates or hydrogen ions produced by fish waste.
    Last edited by Rocksor; 08-27-2012 at 02:00 PM.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with Rocksor. Please, rehome most of those fish, don't wait until something goes wrong. That tank is balanced on a knife edge, and all it'll take to cause utter carnage is a little nudge.... And sharbait666, you should do the same, even though your tank has only had *ahem* one fish die. Just because two dogs can be kept in a junk heap, doesn't mean you should.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you guys for the input. I'm getting a couple more tanks in the next couple weeks. What would you recommend as far as how to split them up to keep the peace in the long run. I'm getting a 3rd 55 and a 120/150 gal.