· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New tank - help

1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gtcichlid
    im not sure if this will help or not, but dont mix south american cichlids with any other cichlids cuz they will fight. only mix south american with south american
    Probably you right but when you got enough space to each fish its can be work.
    What also needs to worry about the fish will be the same level of aggressiveness and final size.

and Rocksor if you mean by CK to Clown Knifefish so around 10 cm

0 Not allowed!
    A agree with the poster above that severums and blood parrots are less aggressive and are South American cichlids. I have kept blood parrots for years and not yet heard of an aggressive and peaceful types. I found them to be all peaceful and like to be in family units.

They have no ability to fight back against biters because of the way they can not close their mouths.

You will have a problem trying to keep that many large fish in one tank.

0 Not allowed!
    What did you do with these fish in your 20 gallon you said you had two days ago?

(I got 1 Blue Zaire Frontosa and 2 Angelfish's right now.)

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    What did you do with these fish in your 20 gallon you said you had two days ago?

(I got 1 Blue Zaire Frontosa and 2 Angelfish's right now.)
    I bring the Frontosa to someone for free, i posted thread at my country forum and he will go to new home [Of course i checked before his tank, he got 500 liter tank with 6 Frontosa's around 4-10 cm]
    The Angelfish's will go to my friend house with the 20g tank.

But right now the thing im worried about, when the Knifefish will grow up to his full size, he can to eat the Green terror \ Texas \ Tilapia?

*I know its a lot of aggressive fish but as you can see, I wont bring alot fish's to the new 210g tank because the territory that every fish need *

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You are going to have to decide if having the clown knife is worth it. There is never a 100% guarantee.

Gt grow real slow compared to the other fish you mentioned, keep that in mind. The best thing you can do is buy the fish at the same time, make sure that the are close to the same size if not slightly bigger than the clown knife. Im assuming that the tank is already cycled before you put them into the tank. Have a spare tank or tub ready if it doesnt work out.

0 Not allowed!
    I think the whole thing is a mistake if you think you can put any fish you want in the tank as long as it's a cichlid of some kind with no regard to dominance, aggressiveness or size. You have a nice big tank and could have a tank that has peaceful fish that can live together or a big, bloody mess or fish torn up by others and covering in the corners all the time.

Your tank is large but so are the fish. I would pick out the fish you wish to have the most and then go from there matching it up to tankmates. Oscars alone should be in a 75.

You could also fill it with rocks and have an african tank.

Or if you like the parrots and severums, get more than one and fill the tank with the silver dollars you mentioned. (Red Hook Silver Dollars are larger.)

Get a bottle of pure ammonia and start cycling the tank and that will give you 3 weeks to make decisions on that tank, get the proper filtering for it and it set up as you wish. The filters will cost you probably $400-600?

If the tank has not even been purchased yet, then all this is just wasted time talking of something you have not bought yet or may never have. I only mentioned that last part because we have wasted our time in the past stocking tanks for people that don't even have the tank nor probably never will.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 08-26-2012 at 02:46 PM.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Lady, thanks and don't worry.
    The tank in my livingroom front of me right now :)
    I want the most it's the Wild tilapia zilli I already got 2.
    Or the Knifefish that I like too.
    I think if they will grow up together they won't be aggressive for each other, or I wrong?

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doronxl7
    Lady, thanks and don't worry.
    The tank in my livingroom front of me right now :)
    I want the most it's the Wild tilapia zilli I already got 2.
    Or the Knifefish that I like too.
    I think if they will grow up together they won't be aggressive for each other, or I wrong?
    Growing up together doesnt guarantee they will be fine later on. Your chances might be slightly better. Thats the nature of aggressive fish.