· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help me stock.

1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My ph is around 7.4. Will that be ok for the rams?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ameliaaahx
    There's a number of things that could work. Why don't you go to your LFS and have a look at what they have, then write down some you like and come back here and do the research.

Or you could just increase the numbers of what you already have.

... I'd suggest Harlequin Rasbora.

I just looked up the Harlequin Rasbora and I like it. I'll check to see if my lfs keeps them. Thanks!

Edit: I just called them and they only have the Rasbora Heteromorpha. How are those?
    Last edited by tate8; 09-02-2012 at 08:56 PM.

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass 
    Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 
    Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus 
    TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by tate8
    I just looked up the Harlequin Rasbora and I like it. I'll check to see if my lfs keeps them. Thanks!

Edit: I just called them and they only have the Rasbora Heteromorpha. How are those?
    Safe fish Heteromorpha is the scientific name

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass 
    Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 
    Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus 
    TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by tate8
    My ph is around 7.4. Will that be ok for the rams?
    You should at least get it to neutral

0 Not allowed!
    Rasbora Heteromorpha are Harlequin Rasbora -- you're in luck! I'm sure you will love them and I think they will look gorgeous with your cardinals. Harleys are my all-time favourite schooling fish. :)

7.4 is a bit high for rams -- you could try messing with the pH but I find that's a dangerous art. Fish don't like fluctuating pH and it's tricky to get it right. I would certainly not recommend the chemicals -- driftwood might work for you. I used driftwood in my Neon tank to lower the pH. It went from 7.2 to 6.5. Not exactly sure what type of driftwood you need as I did it by accident. Also you have to be careful not to change too much water at once if you're messing with pH or it will fluctuate too much and harm your fish.

IMO you should go with a mated pair of Kribensis instead. That's a kribensis in my avatar -- they are my favourite dwarf cichlid, especially when they pair up and get really bright. The good thing about Kribs is they're as tough as guts and will easily thrive in your pH. Some pics:
    https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=kr...w=1366&bih=667

EDIT: Wait, hang on -- duh. For some reason I thought you were getting German Blue Rams. Bolivian Rams should be fine in that pH.
    Last edited by Amelia; 09-03-2012 at 04:01 AM.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm a bit confused about your stocking now...

12 cardinals, 6 cories, 4 rams and XX rasboras?

Also, 4 rams might be too much for your tank, although 2 or 3 doesn't seem much better unless you got all females.

0 Not allowed!
    Stocking ideas are mentioned in this thread too.

How would you stock my tank?

You may also like some of the idea going on there?

0 Not allowed!
    I would suggest:

- 10 Cardinals
    - 8 Harlequin Rasbora
    - 6 Cories
    - 3 Bolivian Rams (1m:2f) OR Kribensis

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ameliaaahx
    I would suggest:

- 10 Cardinals
    - 8 Harlequin Rasbora
    - 6 Cories
    - 3 Bolivian Rams (1m:2f) OR Kribensis
    I like the Kribensis as well. I think I will go with them instead of the rams.

Thanks everyone!

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I went to my lfs to see if they carried Kribensis but they did not have any. I have a few more places to try so no big deal. While I was there I saw that they had the Harleys on sale. I told the manager that my tank probably wouldn't be ready for fish for a couple more weeks. She wrote me a rain check! Score!