· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

Default another shrimp death....

0 Not allowed!
    After i lost my 3 rcs i decided to check all my parameters. Ammonia less than .25 but higher than 0. Nitrites 0 nitrates 0 ph off the charts gh 7'. The last 2 i cant wrap my head around. My tap tested 2-3'gh. And the tank is 3 times that... My ph is 6.8 out of tap atm... I dont have a good high range ph test cause my other one expired. Soo off the charts is the best i can say. All i habe in the tank is lava rock,driftwood, java fern algae, blk sand (package said fresh water safe and no fiz with vinagar.) Heater and sponge filter. How can my shrimp tak's ph and gh be so out of wack? No i didnt add anything to change the water chemistry. Maybe a drop or 2 of flourish comp. Thats it.... Is the difference in my tap and tank killing my shrimp?
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

0 Not allowed!
    I don't know, but since they are RCS, a that high pH ammonia is probably very toxic, and even low ammonia will kill shrimp.
    Its Phillip, not Origami.
    Join the 10+ club

Clicky!
    http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368
    ^Read

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 

0 Not allowed!
    Im still puzzled on how my ph got so high....
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!

Awards Showcase

for your advice and support! - gourami*girl Dude, Thanks from those of us that can only send help. - 850R Have a cool one after helping those around you - Cliff You will probably need a few more of these before you are done - mommy1 Thanks for helping get peoples lives back to normal - mommy1 
    and one more - mommy1 Have another - KingFisher and one more because we all appreciate what you are doing. - mommy1 Looks like your down a qt - Cliff Yeah, because you still need more appreciation. - mommy1 
    It HAS to be time for a burger, There might be more beers on the way :-D - 850R Your effort in NYC is appreciated! - Cory Catfish We all appreciate what you are doing! Thank you! - Cory Catfish thank for being you - Lady Hobbs more - Lady Hobbs 
    For all your hard work - sailor to bolster your spirits - fishmommie Well deserved - Aeonflame Have another on me - Aeonflame Cheers! For all your hard work! - Trillianne 
    Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - C-Dub Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - C-Dub Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - C-Dub Autism - C-Dub Childhood Cancer - C-Dub 

0 Not allowed!
    how often are you doing WC's? What does your tap test for NitrAtes? 0 ppm nitrates is not normal. weird also bc drift wood generally lowers your PH, no?
    55 Gal- Fluval 305 & Aqua Clear 70;
    2 Gold Veil Angels, 1 GBR, 1 Gold Nugget Pleco, and 11 pesky Zebra Danio's.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    i do a weekly 1g water change on that tank, doesnt seem like much but shrimp have a very low bio load. will be doing 2g when it gets more crowded. the 0 nitrates is because the filter im using was briefly seeded. also the small bioload thing.... and java moss + loads of algae might be eating away (i think i need to reduce the lights some time in the future. but algae is fine in that tank imo).

drift wood can lower ph but i think if you cure it right and remove all the tanins then the ph lowering ability is near nill
    gotta love them bunnies!

0 Not allowed!
    That's what I found with drift wood the tannins leach a little after its prepared and then gradually drop to negligible.

How much evaporation is going on in your shrimp tank otherwise gh shouldn't climb so much if everything is inert. However, you have lava rock and unless that rock is obsidian I bet that its not. Put some in a bucket and test after a while. That of course may still not be the cause of the shrimp death.
    Mucky

Unusually I have nothing more to add...