· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It looks amazing now that the plants are all alive and water is clear. It is so hard for me not to upload pics of tank right now! But i want to save all my good pics for choosing to enter the TOTM in next few months. I guess a no-grass-yet-half-alive-wisteria-partially-cloudy-from-messing-with-sand pic wont hurt... one moment!
    10gal Betta Tank - Skye the crowntail and Squiggles the deformed albino cory
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

2. Default

0 Not allowed!

Slightly cloudy from messing with sand, over-fertilizing a bit which made it yellow tinted, and just feeding a few mins before to get fish to come out (which as you can see didnt really work...). But you can see the new growth on the wisteria that was previously nothing but empty stalks. And a little new growth on the rotala. Cabomba looks much better than before. And of course you can see how my beloved cories RUIN my river every single day. Where'd it go? Under 1/4" of sand. How they get it that deep every day, i dont know, but its not happening anymore.

This is the grass i bought from Petsmart. Nice and short for now, but im told it grows quite fast. Nice and green too! No brown or yellowing leaves anywhere that i could find on this pack. Best looking pack they had. This might not be enough for what i want to do, but it should grow in fast if i have to plant it a little sparse at first.
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

3. Default

0 Not allowed!

There was actually a lot of grass in that bag! Had to separate it and get all the gel out of it. They had a lot of gel. It was a wierd coagulated fertilizer-like stuff.

Had to drain most of water and remove most of plants so that i could see what i was doing and plant the grass properly. Now it should be much easier to keep the river free of sand, and also it looks so much prettier, dont you think? Its hard to see with cloudy water. And the light from outside makes it hard to get good pics.
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Grass is planted too sparsely i think right now, so they are still dragging sand almost as bed, though i think its only about half as much as before, but my grandma thinks its horrible. Once it fills in i think it will do its job.

My grandma decided to "help" me clean filter other day when i last posted... Long story short, i lost my cycle. I put my bio-sponge from my Tetra40 in the tank, its a bit cloudy but im keeping the ammonia down at least. Kinda hard for BB-less filter to support 6 cories, a betta, 5 frogs, and 5 shrimp...

I bought Seachem Excel CO2 stuff. The guy said it works better than the much cheaper API CO2 stuff i was going to get, and i said ok and bought it. Not sure if hes right though, we'll see. I dosed a full cap first day like it said. Fish didnt seem to like it. Today i did 1mL, and they all seem fine. I am noticing faster growing leaves on the poor little wisteria stumps, and new growth on the cabomba and lots of new leaves on the rotala since i dosed, so maybe its doing its job.

Today i went and got a Super Daylight 6500K full spectrum T8 light bulb. Its really nice. Much brighter than other light i had previously, and it seems to light up bright enough that even the frog cave is slightly illuminated. It says it has 10,000 hours of life. ZooMed brand. They seem like a nice brand for mini tank heaters, so now ill see how their lights are.
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    For the first time in a while i found all 5 frogs sitting out basking in the light that i just added. Usually they hide and make me assume they are all there since the opening in back of hood is completely covered in screen taped to back of tank and top of filter that makes it extremely hard to escape. So happy to not have anymore disappearing frogs. Bought a new male other day, because i think Casper might actually just be a girl with masculine arms. I made the girl at That Fish Place chase the one male i saw in their tank (very large armpit pimples he had) until she got him, and made her show me his pits before bagging him so i knew she got the right one. Named him Frankie, as in Frankenstein.
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yay! Cooperation! My frogs decided to play out their names. :) Cue Casper Meets Wendy! Casper shyly hides behind some plants watching this friend, but too shy to say hello. Wendy senses something is up, and starts to look for the person she feels watching her. Casper realizes he's caught. Well, guess its time to say hello then...

Picture from reenactment:

Im finally able to actually tell my females apart from eachother. That brown one is Wendy, shes nicer and darker than the other large brown one i have, Nightmare. Pearl is a little baby, half the size of the other 3 frogs, same color as Wendy. Frankie is the same size as Pearl, and the same color as her and Wendy, only difference is he is clearly a male. I need to get pics of other 3...
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, the frogs and cories seem to think its just hilarious to dig up all the hairgrass. So now i am trying my grandma's wonderful idea today to try to keep it down. She suggested i line each side of the grass with my little glass gemstone things that i used to have in the tank before i changed substrate. If i hug the grass tight with the stones i should be able to hold down the roots better, plus it will add more distance in between sand and river, and might help more to keep the sand off river.

Just like the hairgrass in the first place, this sounds like a brilliant idea, but not sure how it will turn out... Better begin i guess.
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

8. Default

0 Not allowed!

Success. It doesnt look half bad. I also appear to have finally cleared the water up better. Not running filter until tonight though, hoping that might help keep the filter free of sand that way. The frogs are investigating the marbles, and the cories have already angrily given up on them. Reaper says "Camera!! " Hes such a camera hog.
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The frogs and cories have long since destroyed my beautiful artwork. I gave up and decided to let the grass grow out some roots by floating around. The river is completely covered, the marbles are all over the place. The wisteria has suddenly taken off and i will have a much prettier wisteria forest soon! :D
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Random algae outbreak smothered my tank. But i bought two new nerite snails and got a new filter for the tank, an AC30, so i should be good now. I had to get the new filter because during a random power outage last wednesday night the previous filter drained itself and then when the power returned several hours later and i was still asleep it tried to fill back up and fried its motor.

According to Aqadvisor i have 131% stocking and 121% filtration now, so i guess thats why my algae is getting better. It says with my old filter i was only at 80% filtration capacity but still at 131% stocking.

I had to move all my hairgrass into my main tank in my nursery because the cabomba was blocking the light and killing it. Ill move it back eventually.

It appears that the MTS i have in the tank have finally made it to the river, because that is starting to clean. Apparently gunk gets trapped under that plastic and just sits there and clogs it up and makes it disgusting. The cories and frogs have stopped burying the river now, so i can see it becoming cleaner inside day by day. :)

I think thats all my updates. Tank is a mess in algae bloom recovery mode, but my cleaning crew and my new filter should have that under control by probably next weekend in time for my water change. :)
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything