· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Smile EK's 10gal Betta Tank

0 Not allowed!
    Im probably one of the few people on here who just dont feel the pull towards an all natural tank. I do throw lots of artistic flair into my tanks though, and i have started planning now for my 10gal betta tank to be refurbished and look totally awesome!

Right now it looks like this:

Its... pretty bad, i know. But not once im done with it! I have two bettas and 6 albino cories in there currently, and there is not much room for them in there with divider. Also the divider is slowly disintegrating, which doesnt appear to be very good. But the one on the left is pretty old, and hes been starting to show his age a lot more lately, so i have begun planning stage for when i have a one-betta tank.

So the first thing to go obviously will be the nasty old destroyed divider. Goodbye ugly thing! :D Then, complete substrate change. Ill get this 15lb bag of black flourite sand. That should look great and my cories and plants will love it! With all that change right there i think i should be able to get a pretty good extermination of the snails. I will save the MTS that i want, but probably downgrade them from like 15 to like 5 again. I have a solid wall of bladder snails though, and they are all moving out. I will probably soak my plants in a strong dose of plant-safe snail killer then (and rinse rinse rinse afterwards), and hope that does the trick. :)

When i was at That Fish Place a few months back i saw this, and i couldnt resist buying it:

Im going to make a bottom for it out of some screen or something so that i can fill it with little river rocks i got in the betta section of Petsmart yesterday, so it will look very realistic and river like. And the bridge is stupid and way too tiny for the river, so im not even using that part.

Then it gets complicated. The river will go about right up against where the divider was on the right side. The castle back there will go on top of a red clay-colored cliff cave i found at That Fish Place that is the perfect size for the castle to fit on top of. That cliff has a whole bunch of nice large holes in it, and is made to go in the corner, so it will go about where the castle is right now, and my frogs and cories will be able to call that home since they are bottom sleepers, while the betta lives in his beloved castle.

I havent completely figured out my plants yet, but that might take a while. I plan to sparsely if at all plant on the side of the tank with the castle, because in front of the castle there will be just enough ground room for the frogs' food dish. Plants i have to work with are insane amounts of water wisteria, a few stems of contortion vals maybe, and lots of purple cabomba. I also have two little red wedtii plants, which will each take a side of the cave and give the frog dish a small amount of non-invasive cover. What i do know about my plants is that they will be heavily planted on the whole left side of the tank, making a forest for the castle to tower over from across the river.

I am getting rid of Sandy the Squirrel, hiding the treasure somewhere deep in the mystical forest, and losing the tye-dye cave. My already pretty much invisible piece of driftwood will remain pretty much invisible and probably mark a "clearing the the woods" somewhere for the cories to play hide and go seek around.

So excuse my horrible drawing (im much better at sculpting than drawing), but here is my plans on "paper" for you to see. The blue thing with the circles is the river. I forgot to draw the frog dish, the brown blob is driftwood. It is not in any way drawn to scale.
    10gal Betta Tank - Skye the crowntail and Squiggles the deformed albino cory
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

0 Not allowed!
    Can't wait to see how it turns out for you!
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 12 Conga Tetras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

3. Default Finished my River

0 Not allowed!
    Ive been trying to figure out the best way to get all my river rocks in my river and keep all my critters our of it, and i figured it out now! I dont need the tank emptied to do that, so i have begun.

Step 1: Find my fiberglass screen that ive had laying around for a while.

Step 2: Find my aquarium safe silicone that ive had laying around for a while.

Step 3: I cut a piece of screen just wide enough to cover the bottom of the river piece, and long enough to have a flap to cover the back. I cut out the holes where my suction cups had to go through, and taped it on to hold it still.

Step 4: With the river upside down, i siliconed the screen to the bottom of the ridges.

Step 5: Once the silicone there was completely dry, i siliconed the front of the screen to the front edge.

Step 6: I gave the silicone over night to dry, and then i added this 2lb container of river rocks:

I shook the river thing a bit to spread out the rocks better, and now it is done and it looks like this:

Once i put it in the tank the sand will hold my flap in the back up against the plastic so that nothing can get in, and the edges where you can still see the screen will also be covered up, so it will be like it was never there. :)
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, Phantom has hit the last stage of old age and is rapidly on the road to death. First his energy level started to drop back in July, then he started to visually look ragged, his colors started to fade, and now his kidneys are shutting down it appears. Reaper has decided hes a mercy killer and has been ramming the failing divider lately when he sees Phantom's shadow, putting cracks in it, and there is also a huge hole in it now near the bottom. Yet when i had them together a few months ago (supervised, long story) they looked at eachother, said hi and minded their own business, so im very surprised at this viciousness from Reaper suddenly...

Anyway, due to those 3 things i am fast forwarding and doing the full remodeling this weekend. I called to reserve a 15lb bag of the black sand i previously mentioned. The cliff i wanted turned out to not be as awesome as it appears online, so... But the rest will be great! I will be sure to take lots of pics. :)
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    This is what tank looks like as of 2 hrs ago. Notice the very sad looks of the dying betta on the left, the divider broken so much that the water level has to be totally low to stay below divider which leans to right, and the stuffed over powering amount of overgrown under-nourished, badly planted plants.

Here's the other gaping hole in the divider:

(and a sneak peek of snail problem)

And heres a pretty big chunk of my snail problem:

As of tomorrow, they will all be gone. :) Just have to go to grocery store for alum yet...

Tomorrow i will post the pictures of my work as i go. These are nice before pics for now. :)
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

6. Default

0 Not allowed!

I cant wait to put this in! My cories and plants will be so happy, and everything should be like "bam!" against the dark black.

Here's my cave/cliff thing. Ive realized that there are shelves in it, which i can hide my treasure chest in (hidden treasure!!!) and the cories and frogs can enjoy sitting on them thinking they are hiding when really i can see them clearly. It sits up against glass in the corner.

10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything