· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

TGIF and here's to over coming difficulties! :-) - Taurus   pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie   Merry Xmas To You! - Sandz   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Good to have you back! - Slaphppy7   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - KevinVA   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - KevinVA   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - KevinVA   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzoutank
    I have the fixtures about 6inch apart for the best back to front distribution of light.

I haven't had any issues with algae-it has been over a month with the 2 fixtures on top....then at the same time, my plants are doing terrible as well. so ugh. i have no clue
    Define horrible?
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed one! - korith   Thanks for the nice comments about my sunset photos. - gabbyguppy   thanks for the input and all of your good advice - fishmommie   Merry Christmas - KingFisher   Merry Christmas - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    1st batch of plants (api tabs only)
    no growth for any plants that have been in there for about 2 months...
    compacta plant just dies off, amazon swords aren't growing, older ones are just laying down and leaf by leaf wilts away.

2nd batch of plants (with flourish tabs)
    have held their own-just been stable, no growth, but not dying either.

3rd batch of plants (added last night)
    *fingers crossed*

also to note-this may or may not be an issue, I bought the smallest plants at petco until last night, so maybe they weren't developed enough? and that is why they aren't doing well?
    Last night-I went for the *medium* sized plants-to take up more space and also with hopes they are bit stronger/hardy to survive.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

TGIF and here's to over coming difficulties! :-) - Taurus   pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie   Merry Xmas To You! - Sandz   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Good to have you back! - Slaphppy7   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - KevinVA   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - KevinVA   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - KevinVA   

0 Not allowed!
    1st batch of plants (api tabs only)
    no growth for any plants that have been in there for about 2 months...
    compacta plant just dies off, amazon swords aren't growing, older ones are just laying down and leaf by leaf wilts away.
    Swords are known to require moderate to high levels of light. I assume this first batch was prior to you purchasing brighter lights and liquid ferts? That's probably why they were dying off.

2nd batch of plants (with flourish tabs)
    have held their own-just been stable, no growth, but not dying either.
    What kind of plants this time? Could be they're slow-growing plants. Flourish tabs have consistently been suggested to me, in place of the API tabs. Could be that this was the problem - lack of nutrients.

3rd batch of plants (added last night)
    *fingers crossed*
    What kind of plants this time (again)?

also to note-this may or may not be an issue, I bought the smallest plants at petco until last night, so maybe they weren't developed enough? and that is why they aren't doing well?
    Last night-I went for the *medium* sized plants-to take up more space and also with hopes they are bit stronger/hardy to survive.
    The size of the plants shouldn't really matter, so long as your water parameters, tank setup and nutrient dosing regiment are ok. Some plant's leaves will melt going from one aquarium to the next, regardless, merely because your water params are a bit different. I've know that Vals, and I'm sure several others, are like that.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed one! - korith   Thanks for the nice comments about my sunset photos. - gabbyguppy   thanks for the input and all of your good advice - fishmommie   Merry Christmas - KingFisher   Merry Christmas - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA
    Swords are known to require moderate to high levels of light. I assume this first batch was prior to you purchasing brighter lights and liquid ferts? That's probably why they were dying off.

First batch was with the single fixture, 10000k/6500k t5ho bulbs and api tabs

What kind of plants this time? Could be they're slow-growing plants. Flourish tabs have consistently been suggested to me, in place of the API tabs. Could be that this was the problem - lack of nutrients.

Added additional amazon swords, and compacta to the tank, to fill in more spots.

What kind of plants this time (again)?

plants just added last night are:
    1 bigger amazon sword-split in half and now using as the back drop to the tank.
    1 bigger anubias
    1 rosette sword ((echinodorus parviflorus)
    1 wistera (hygrophila difformis)
    1 ozelot (echinodorus)

The size of the plants shouldn't really matter, so long as your water parameters, tank setup and nutrient dosing regiment are ok. Some plant's leaves will melt going from one aquarium to the next, regardless, merely because your water params are a bit different. I've know that Vals, and I'm sure several others, are like that.
    Water parameters have been great, I'll test tonight to give the most updated values. Nutrient dosing was a tab regiment, but in the mail is excel and flourish to try and help out w/ liquid ferts.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    update:

Water parameters:
    ammonia: 0
    nitrite: 0
    nitrate: 0
    ph: 7.4

lighting update---I have made a make shift "canopy" I had scrap shelving supports in my garage, and just laid out a grid to lift up the lights above the water. Prior to this, they sat maybe 1.5in off the water level, now they are a good 6inch higher, and the light distribution is much much much much better. it really brightened up the tank I've attached the picture for comparison.

before (1st pic)
    After (2nd pic)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    update:

Water parameters:
    ammonia: 0
    nitrite: 0
    nitrate: 0
    ph: 7.4

lighting update---I have made a make shift "canopy" I had scrap shelving supports in my garage, and just laid out a grid to lift up the lights above the water. Prior to this, they sat maybe 1.5in off the water level, now they are a good 6inch higher, and the light distribution is much much much much better. it really brightened up the tank I've attached the picture for comparison.

before (1st pic)
    After (2nd pic)
    That's a pretty big contrast. Good job on increasing your light distribution. =]

You have 0 nitrates? Is the tank cycled? I was actually more concerned about your water's hardness (gh/kh), because that can have an effect on plants, as well.

From the looks of it, though, your plants look nice and green. I don't see any wilting or "melting" or transparent leaves, etc.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    The nitrates were a bit weird, normally I have about 10, but maybe since I just near doubled the plant load they are just taking it all?

But yes, the tank finished its cycle a good 4.5months ago.

I can swing into petco for a gh/kh test to see how that is. I wasn't sure how much that played into effect on the fish/plants-so I never invested in that test kit.

I'll try to zoom into the older/smaller plants that have the wilting-to show what they look like, but the new plants are very bright green, and hope they stay that way!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your generosity! - Sir Tristen   Thanks! - Wild Turkey   Because your cool :) LOL - lovleeko   Thought you could use some good algae. Is there such a thing. LOL - lovleeko   stocking Rams - Algenco   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - bushwhacker   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    You put too much light over that tank and it will be screaming for CO2 and you'll have algae problems.

Even this light that is 36" is only 78 watt and puts out a lot of light. No way do you need a 4-bulb light unless you have a reef tank.
    ... totaly agree
    The only substitute for good manners is fast reflexes.
    RIP Roscoe. We will meet again Bug.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Because you love your fish. - escamosa   

0 Not allowed!
    I'm with Lady Hobbs, get rid of the rocks or rearrange them somehow, asymmetrically in the tank. I am a fan of symmetry myself but nature isn't symmetrical unless you're a butterfly. Also -- if you want to make some cool stuff for the tank... check out untreated slate. With some aquarium sealant, a hammer, and an imagination, you can totally make your own rockscape! I am making my own right now and it's been a fun but *long* process. Remember if you use slate though to make sure the sealant cures for the correct time frame and that you sand or break down the rough edges/pointy edges. I love your tank, it needs a lil' more love and definitely some more plants! a nice java fern [i prefer the lacey variety] attached to a decoration might be nice too!
    5 gallon planted tank - 1 female betta and one HUGE mystery snail
    60 gallon planted community 3 marble lyretail mollies, 3 creamsicle mollies, 9 lampeye tetras, 5 bloodfin tetras, 4 black skirt tetras, 1 rubberlipped pleco, 3 peppered corys, 3 bumblebee catfish, 3 emerald green corydoras, 2 gold danios, and 2 giant danios

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's some homemade popcorn - MLBfan   Thanks for the help ! Heres a tetra. - PhillipOrigami   For your soon to be set-up marine tank - Cliff   No Message - Indian Woods Angels   For our 90 gallon xD! Haha - Lolita   

0 Not allowed!
    The light lifted off the tank looks much better.

I'm still a little unsure of your fertilizers though. Are you only using the API tabs?

Those tabs are quick release and don't provide all of the essential nutrients for proper plant growth. You might want to supplement those tabs with either Flourish comprehensive or trace.

You could also try osmocote.

CO2 wouldn't be bad on this tank either, but then things start to get pricey.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast