Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Red Gravel

0 0%
  • Black Sand

11 78.57%
  • Red Gravel and Black Sand

3 21.43%
  1. Default Substrate for When i Redo Betta Tank?

0 Not allowed!
    I cant decide, so im leaving it up to you. My store has two types of plant substrate i like: red clay-colored gravel, and beautiful black sand. I dont think a picture would help much at the moment, because its going to be a lot different by then. I can give some info though.

10 gallon tank with following decorations:
    yellow and purple castle 80% covered in java moss (cant get rid of because betta owns it)
    underwater river and bubbler
    driftwood piece 90% covered with java moss

Stock will be:
    1x Betta
    2x ADF
    2x Nerite Snails
    6x Albino Dwarf Cories
    10+ Malaysian Trumpet Snails
    Hopefully no annoying pond snails

Plants:
    Purple Cabomba
    Water Wisteria
    Rotala indica
    Red wendtii

Given that information and a bit of imagination to scape the tank in your mind, what color/type of substrate would you use if it was your tank? Or would you use both?

Red gravel, black sand, or both?
    10gal Betta Tank - Skye the crowntail and Squiggles the deformed albino cory
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I love black sand. Those pygmy albino cories would pop against it too. I have not had mts yet but they would keep your sand stirred.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The cories will appreciate the sand, and any color you have will really stand out on it. ADF like bare bottoms, but I am sure a good second would be sand. The snails should keep it stirred, so I see no reason not to go for it. :)
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So far it appears sand is winning. I agree with all points made on it. Maybe ill try to find some large red river rocks or something to stand out against the black sand and pile them in a corner to make like a shelf to put my castle on, so that my castle towers above the forest, on the other side of the river... Oooo, yes, my mind is going now. Thanks people! Decision shall be black sand!
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You can mix them but I sugest U dont.You will be looking at a real big mess seince sand u dont have to get under for leftovers and waiste rocks you do so when getting under the rocks you will pull up alot of sand trust me I know I didnt use this forum when i started and did the sand rock thing.It is a pain to clean.Good luck I do like black sand but if U go with rocks they make them in black and red.
    fishguy420

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    the betta tank is currently black rocks and blue sand. i do like the look of the black, but my cories love it better when i kick up the sand, so i shall stick with black sand i think. :) Full substrate change because i have pond snails galore and they live in gravel and on divider, so i remove those two and soak my plants and... Vuala. Snail free. :) Hopefully. And i want a new beginning for it. Ive now drawn up a plan using black sand, and i must say it looks totally awesome!
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Glad you are excited with the change...I switched from terrible candy cane gravels to black, and I couldn't be happier. Well, unless I had a bigger tank...lol.
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!