· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 850R
    I am familiar with plecos yes & as sure as you are Kevin, I am just passing on what the people with puffer experience from the puffer specific forum say about tankmates.
    They only list ottos and possibly shrimp [Also possibly a snack] as suitable mates. YMMV but I wont be risking any plecs with my puffers lol
    lol, I probably wouldn't risk it either, but just making the suggestion that it could be possible. ;P

I might risk a Striped Raph, though... would be interesting to see. I mean, c'mon... one fish and one invertebrate are the only compatible species with Dwarves? Even Bettas can be houses with more fish than that.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

0 Not allowed!
    Interesting journal

Looking forward to seeing pics of your puffer
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Talking

0 Not allowed!
    Great job on the pics in this journal!

When I first saw the dinosaur in your tank I thought "oh dear", but after reading through the whole journal and seeing its progress I quite like it, it's funny! You should get a T-rex to stand in the back left-hand corner, poking his head out through the moss.

Liking the plants you've got, very attractive. Have you thought about putting the val-like-grass on the right to cover the filter?

Looking forward to seeing this puffer!

0 Not allowed!
    Haha! That is my exact plan! To get a T-Rex and put him where you suggested. This aquarium is in my son's room which is why the dino theme is there at all. I personally prefer all natural, but since I'm housing my tank in his room... why not?? Lol. He picked it. :)

I've also considered putting those plants over there, but I also think I might get more plants. I've read that a VERY densly planted tank is best for the Dwarves.

Thank you for all your feedback everyone!
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 12 Conga Tetras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

0 Not allowed!
    Hey sports fans! I've had a small set back.

Yesterday I had an Oto from my Display tank start showing signs of disease/parasites. I've had some experience with this before, and the last Oto that had this died within the same day.

What I ended up doing was taking all the Otos from the display, and putting them into the puffer tank for a short quarentine. I had been planning on adding the Otos from the display to this tank anyway, so it kind of works out.

Anyway, I am quarentining the Otos in the Puffer tank, because they are the only fish in there anyway. The only drawbacks to this that I can think of are the possible affects of the meds on my plants, and the fact that I won't be adding the puffer until this period is completed.

This is how I'm going to work it:

8/30-- Dosed Prazi at full strength.
    8/31-- 50% W/C.
    9/03-- Regular W/C + add carbon.
    9/05-- 75% W/C + remove carbon.

I'm reluctant to leave the meds in longer than that, because I have been advised that Oto's can be pretty sensitive all around.

If anyone would change that schedule in anyway please let me know.

On a good note, the Oto in question has since seemed to have recovered. There is no trace of the mystery parasite left, so I'm guessing the meds have worked. Time will tell I suppose.

Here you will see one little Oto hanging out by the thermometer, and waaay in the back is another.

The other three Otos are in this back corner. One is on the back side of the heater.

The gunky stuff on my moss is really getting on my nerves... And the poor little red plant seems to have fallen over. I'm hoping it comes out of it. I really like that plant.

On the 7th I'll be checking the LFS again to see if the Puffer's have landed!
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 12 Conga Tetras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

0 Not allowed!
    Uhg, this has turned into more of an Oto thread. Sorry guys, I promise I'll have a puffer in this tank eventually...

Sooo I lost one of the Otos today. I'm not sure if it was the Oto that was previously having problems, because that particular part of the problem went away after I dosed with Prazi.

The Oto that died had very red gills, and a yellow belly. After a quick check of the other Otos who had no sign of either of those, I did my tests.

Ammonia and Nitrite were 0, but the Nitrates were a whopping 40! I immediately did an emergency water change of about 80%.

I haven't checked the Trates again yet. I only did the water change 5 minutes ago.

Soooooo, I have come to the conclusion that this tank is going to require 2 w/c's a week as opposed to 1.

0 Not allowed!
    Update time!

I guess I'll start with the bad news.

It seems that my LFS hasn't gotten any Dwarf Puffers because they are out of season. I've figure this out through internet research of my own, and discussion with the LFS owner. Sooooo it is going to be a while before I get my puffer.... It sucks, but I think I may have found another use for the tank while I'm waiting. I'll discuss that after the pics.

The whole picture. It looks pretty much the same. I've added a small sprig of Brazilian Pennywort.

What the heck is this crap?

0 Not allowed!

I WAS just using one stock 8watt, but I went ahead and added another one.

Now, if everything checks out with you good folks at the AC, I may be using this a a short term grow out tank.

I'll keep it a surprise for now... That is unless you read the other thread.... Tehe!

0 Not allowed!
    After six long weeks of waiting, the Puffer Fish has finally landed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DUN, DUN, DUN, DUUUUUUUN!!!!!!!!

INTRODUCING........... SIR PUFFINGTON! (Or Mrs. Puff if he turns out to be a girl)

This guy is literally about half the size of my pinky nail.

He's looking pretty good to me. The only think that worries me is that he doesn't seem to be able to uncurl that tail very often.

0 Not allowed!
    Good to see you finally got your puffer
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast