· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    You are getting Dwarf Puffers also 850R? Nice! How big of a tank are you devoting to them?

I'd really like to have two in my tank, but I won't do that unless I can for sure get two females.
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 12 Conga Tetras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Very interesting, Can not wait to see pictures? Where are you getting them from?

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I don't quite know yet. Lol! I've been trying to get my LFS to order them for... well tomorrow will make four weeks. If they don't come through this time I'm not sure what I'll do.

Either way I'll have to wait to save up money to have one shipped to me, or I'll be waiting on the LFS still. It is frustrating really.
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 12 Conga Tetras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

Thumbs up

0 Not allowed!
    Eventually yes.

For me it is a space/outlet availability issue {A bit of MTS rages here } + I am waiting to trim another layer of wisteria so I can plant heavy.

I am going to try 1m/3f in a 20g but I may have to stock slowly and mature each one in a 10 individually as most puffers sold are juvies and are difficult to sex until mature.

That's the plan as it sits at the moment . I won't mention that my two fave LFS both have 2 in stock atm ... Oops

Wet Web Media article about Sexing Dwarf Puffers here.

Last edited by Goes to 11!; 08-29-2012 at 02:32 AM.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    That link I posted has a few different ways to sex, but like you said most of them are very young when sold. So it would be quite hard to tell.

The only thing I could think to look for would be the wrinkles the males supposedly have, and the roundedness of the females.

EDIT: Dude, that's cruel, dangling those puffers in front of my face like that!! Lol!
    Last edited by MandyK; 08-29-2012 at 02:31 AM.

Thumbs up

0 Not allowed!
    Yup, Everyone kind of looks like a girl as juvies. I might divide both a 10 and a 20 and get 4 and see what I get out of it.

The boys allegedly have darker colors and a dark strip lengthwise down their bellys also.

I was just letting you know they are out there... Sorta :-P.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Suuuuurrreee you were. Haha. I might have to get the number of your store and see if they'd let me freaking order one if things don't start working out.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 850R
    Just a heads up, Puffers are aggressive and have quite the bite, Plecs are not usually suggested as tank mates.

According to 'Tankmates guide' on the site Mandy linked:

Not worth risking IMO but I still look forward to having some with a few ottos.
    Striped Raphs are armored and have spines... I doubt there'd be much to worry about with them. Some plecs are armored, as well, and supposedly do well in semi-aggressive tanks. Of course, if you're going to keep these with Dwarf Puffers, you'd have to watch out for them eating them, as the armored cats (not sure about the plecs) can be opportunistic eaters of smaller fish.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MandyK
    If I had a bigger tank I'd def be putting a Green Spotted Puffer in it instead of the Dwarf. Buuuuutt I don't. Lol.

Anyway, if you guys are interested this is the site I've been getting my info from.

http://dwarfpuffers.com/

I've seen it recommended by two different forum members, so I'm assuming that it is reputable.
    I was just looking at that site the other day. Pretty interesting/useful info.

Quote Originally Posted by MandyK
    Well, I don't quite know yet. Lol! I've been trying to get my LFS to order them for... well tomorrow will make four weeks. If they don't come through this time I'm not sure what I'll do.

Either way I'll have to wait to save up money to have one shipped to me, or I'll be waiting on the LFS still. It is frustrating really.
    Do you have a Petco nearby? I know this isn't the best choice, but I've seen them in their stores before.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

0 Not allowed!
    I am familiar with plecos yes & as sure as you are Kevin, I am just passing on what the people with puffer experience from the puffer specific forum say about tankmates.
    They only list ottos and possibly shrimp [Also possibly a snack] as suitable mates. YMMV but I wont be risking any plecs with my puffers lol