· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    The two Otocincluses I added two days ago are fairing well. Neither of them wanted anything to do with the zucchini I offered. At least I never observed them on it.

All the plants are doing good as well, but I'm sure it will take much longer for them to adequately acclimate to their new substrate.

I'm really, really hoping that the fish store ordered the Dwarf Puffers this week. If so I plan on picking one up along with more plants for the tank.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 12 Conga Tetras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

0 Not allowed!

Just a little photo update.

Still no puffer, but I've done a few things here. The long stringy mystery plants you see in the middle came from my 55g display tank. I still have no idea what these are. I was advised that they were probably vals, but I've looked at pictures to compare, and I'm not convinced.

The moss and driftwood has some sort of whitish gunk growing on it. I'm assuming it is from the drifwood, and will go away with time. My Gourami actually eats the stuff, but he's not in this tank soooo.... Lol.
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 12 Conga Tetras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

0 Not allowed!
    Great looking tank, so far, Mandy. =]

That plant looks like it could be a Vallisneria nana (Narrow Leaf Eelgrass) or Vallisneria americana gigantea (Jungle Val)... or maybe even Sagittaria Subulata. =X
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

Thumbs up

0 Not allowed!
    Nice tank!!!

You should start adding pond snails in there so that when your DP arrives it will have a good stock to feed from.

Watch your oto carefully when the DP is in. Everywhere I read about them always say how nasty they can be to other fish. I want a dwarf puffer tank too your so lucky you got your started alrdy. Cant wait to see the pics.
    Last edited by Gogi; 08-28-2012 at 06:42 PM.
    Roll the Dice!

0 Not allowed!
    Yep, I've been thinking about a Dwarf Puffer, too. Too aggressive for anything I want to keep, though, so I've steered away. You've inspired me to start a Puffer tank, Mandy. My wife thanks you. ;]

Since you do have a prob with snails, I would do what Gogi suggested. Puffers love those little suckers. ;]

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys! There actually are snails in the tank already. :) And I've been keeping a 1.5g with pond snails breeding like crazy in it. That way I'll have a good supply for when I actually get the little booger.

As for the Otos they are the only fish that are actually listed as suitable tankmates for a Dwarf Puffer. I suppose it also depends on the personality of the puffer inquestion, but I'll still be watching very, very closely. I don't want any casualties! If all goes well with the Oto's that are there, the three that are in my display tank will be joining them as well.

Way to go Kevin!! I do hope you'll do a journal for your puffer tank as well. We can compare notes. :)

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Cant wait to see this fish, I've wanted one! Only place I could probably put him is with my convict not even sure that would work, and I have no snail population in any tank lol
    RIP Shark Bait, my Red Tail Shark :(

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MandyK
    Thanks guys! There actually are snails in the tank already. :) And I've been keeping a 1.5g with pond snails breeding like crazy in it. That way I'll have a good supply for when I actually get the little booger.

As for the Otos they are the only fish that are actually listed as suitable tankmates for a Dwarf Puffer. I suppose it also depends on the personality of the puffer inquestion, but I'll still be watching very, very closely. I don't want any casualties! If all goes well with the Oto's that are there, the three that are in my display tank will be joining them as well.

Way to go Kevin!! I do hope you'll do a journal for your puffer tank as well. We can compare notes. :)
    Haha, I'm not much of a journal keeper, but maybe I'll start. ;P I should get back into writing again, and maybe that's a good way to do it.

If you were talking about a bigger tank, I'm sure any pleco or striped/spotted raphael cat would be fine with a puffer. They can all fend for themselves (plus they're larger). The otos keep to themselves so much, I can't see why a Puffer would be bothered with them, though.

0 Not allowed!
    If I had a bigger tank I'd def be putting a Green Spotted Puffer in it instead of the Dwarf. Buuuuutt I don't. Lol.

Anyway, if you guys are interested this is the site I've been getting my info from.

http://dwarfpuffers.com/

I've seen it recommended by two different forum members, so I'm assuming that it is reputable.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA
    If you were talking about a bigger tank, I'm sure any pleco or striped/spotted raphael cat would be fine with a puffer. They can all fend for themselves (plus they're larger). The otos keep to themselves so much, I can't see why a Puffer would be bothered with them, though.
    Just a heads up, Puffers are aggressive and have quite the bite, Plecs are not usually suggested as tank mates.

According to 'Tankmates guide' on the site Mandy linked:
    Dwarves are vicious little critters and will nip the fins off just about any other fish. They are capable of killing tank mates much larger than themselves with their relentless picking and nipping.
    Not worth risking IMO but I still look forward to having some with a few ottos.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.