· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Default Dwarf Puffer Journal

0 Not allowed!
    Hello everyone!

I am sooo excited to start a new journal!

As you have probably already derived from the journal title, this particular journal will be all about my Dwarf Puffer tank.

This particular tank I refer to has gone through a few changes since I've had it. First, it was meant to be a quarentine tank, but I've discarded this idea and have opted to have a 5 gallon on hand for this purpose. Second, it was going to be the home of my now deceased Betta named Roo. Third, I wanted to put a Betta sorority into the tank, but that was until I discovered that there was a species of Puffer that could comfortably reside in a 10 gallon.

I had been trying to talk myself into buying a 30 gallon so that I could have a regular Puffer, but just couldn't see myself having such a large tank for one fish. Needless to say (although I will) I jumped at the chance to have a puffer in my 10 gallon.

The picture below is not up to date, but is pretty close.

This is from back in the day it was going to be used as a quarentine tank, hence the bare bottom.

Today the tank sports the same decor, but I have added a pool sand substrate, and a light. There were two HOB filters on the tank, but I decided that the current was just going to be too strong for the future Puffer. So filter wise I am running an Aqua-Tech 10-20, and I have installed a sponge over the filter intake to curb the flow a little further. I am running the temp at a steady 78-79 degrees.

Before the Puffer enters his new home the tank will be planted. I'm not sure what kind of plants I'll buy, but my husband has shown a liking for Swords. Before I put the plants in I'll have to get my hands on some fert tabs, because I don't imagine the sand will provide much nutrients.

Next I'm going to try transplanting some algae from my display tank into this tank to prepare for 2 Otocincluses. My research shows that these guys tend to do very well with Dwarf Puffers.

And of course, the last step will be to actually add the Puffer.
    130g: 6 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora
    I've noticed that people HATE it when you point out how stupid they are, so now I try to do it politely.

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not sure sand has a high CEC, but thats another thread....
    Nice dino....
    Its Phillip, not Origami.
    Join the 10+ club

Clicky!
    http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368
    ^Read

0 Not allowed!
    Okay Phil, what is CEC?? Is this something I should worry about?
    I've noticed that people HATE it when you point out how stupid they are, so now I try to do it politely.

0 Not allowed!
    This is the up to date picture.

Nothing better than a dinosaur fart to make a tank complete.

The fake plant will be thrown in the trash, but the dinosaur is staying. As suggested by the caption my husband has placed the airtubing just right so as to make the bubbles exit through the dino's bottom. Welcome to my life.

Default Planting Day

0 Not allowed!
    Today was pay day, which also means today was fish store day!!!

This is what I made it out with today.

We have a variety of plants, some fert tabs, driftwood, and four Otocincluses

Earlier in the day I performed an 80% water change in prep for the new inhabitants. I realize that the colors don't look like it in the picture, but my readings were, Amm: 0, Trates: 4. I'd like to state that the tank IS cycled. I've been feeding it ammonia for a while now.

Default Planting Day 2

0 Not allowed!
    Got the plants out, and seperated all nice and neat.

Here we have a pic of after I added the driftwood and java moss to the tank.

Default Planting Day 3

0 Not allowed!
    Here we are after all the plants were added.

0 Not allowed!

0 Not allowed!

0 Not allowed!

One of the two Otos that went in this tank. I couldn't get a great pic of the other, and the other two went into my 55 gallon.

And that is where I stand thus far! All that is left is my little Dwarf Puffer. I'm hoping the store will get some in this week.