· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    Been a few days since I did anything, but I went to work today. Today I cut the holes in the side of the overflow chamber to pass the plumbing through. This involved me sticking the top half of my body through the center hole in top of the tank with a power drill, which was awkward to say the least. I was pretty nervous about this part because if something went wrong I could have really screwed up the tank. But... success!

Here's a view from below the bottom of the tank, looking up through the bottom sheet of acrylic (which has a partially removed tan paper backing). Flange connects to a 3/4" PVC right angle piece, and then a straight piece of PVC plugs into that and runs through the hole I drilled in the overflow box.

Here is a view into the tank from the top, with the front of the tank at the top of the image and the back of the tank at the bottom. You can see the PVC that comes through is not completely straight - my holes were not perfectly aligned. Not a problem, though. I oversized the holes by 1/16th of an inch or so to allow some wiggle room.

View looking down into the overflow box from above. Sure is dirty in there.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 

0 Not allowed!
    I've begun cutting the background to fit. I also make a more through attempt to conform the background around the overflow box. There's only so snug I can get it - there's going to be a gap between the background and the overflow sides. I'll see how it looks once I get the caps in the background cut for the overflow entries, but I think I'll probably have to rig something up to fill that gap.

I also just ordered six tubes of black aquarium silicone from amazon. Hope it'll be enough. I figure when I go to put down the background, I'll start at the middle around the box and then work outward from both sides. That way if I run out of silicone, I can leave the ends free and come back later with a fresh tube and lock them down.

Now to start planning my UGJ...
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I finished cutting down the background today, and the silicone arrived a while ago, so it was go time.

I ended up using three and a half tubes of silicone for what I feel like was pretty generous coverage over the entire tank. I wanted to get it all down as quickly as possible... partly so it wouldn't start to cure before the background was in place, and partly because I was working in an enclosed area with a product that outgasses acetone.

The background went in without too much trouble. I threw every weight I had on it. There's still a gap between the overflow box and the background at the corners, but I expected that and have some ideas for how to address it. Overall I think it looks pretty good, so hopefully it holds.

Here's the bottom of the tank, with the pipes for the filter output to connect to the undergravel jet. I might have to clean out these holes a little bit to make the pipes fit better... we'll see how it goes.

Here's the top, around the overflow teeth. Looks like maybe I cut down the background a little more than I needed to. I think it'll still look fine. That's the nice thing about the black background - any gaps between the 3D background and the acrylic shouldn't look too obnoxious.

I'll let this dry for a while, and then I guess the next step is to polish the acrylic. I should have everything I need for that. I did some hand-polishing on my 75g acrylic, but in this case I've got a car polisher than should make it a bit less tedious. My plan is to flip the tank over on its face so the black back is facing up. I'm going to deliberately put some scratches on that surface (which won't be visible) so I can practice polishing them out before I move to the front.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Merry Christmas buddy! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Merry Christmas Sandz! - Taurus 
    Happy birthday buddy! - KevinVA Happy B-day!! - steeler1 Happy Bday bud!!! - Hardy85 Have a little cake and ..... - fishmommie .... beer.  Hope it was a good one. - fishmommie 
    Happy Birthday!  Enjoy! - jeffs99dime I'll drink to that! - steeler1 Enjoy! - Hardy85 This one's on me... - Slaphppy7 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Lookin good!!!
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

0 Not allowed!
    Can't wait to see the finished product.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget

0 Not allowed!
    Nice job on the background, Brhino. That seems to have been an enormous task of its own. lol
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    It's been a week. There's still the scent of acetic acid (which I incorrectly referred to as acetone in my previous post... I am ashamed), but I think it's pretty well cured. I took all the weights off and... nothing happened.

Nothing happening is good news! It was the desired outcome. The silicone seems to be holding just fine. There are places where you can poke the background and it flexes - it's not flat on the back, so it's not surprising that the silicone doesn't have 100% coverage - but there seems to be enough of a bond to keep it in place, even considering the bend I'm putting on it in the middle.

I'm not taking another picture, because it looks just like it did above only without all the weights on it. Instead, here's another picture of the sailfin.

Finally got a shot of him showing off the sail. Makes me sad my wife's good camera is out of commission. Maybe when I finally get done saving money for this tank and its fish, I'll splurge on a new lens.

0 Not allowed!
    just went back a few pages to check the picture of the sailfin when you first got it.
    you certainly have done a great job growing it out.

2 Not allowed!
    Watch out Fishmommie will want him!!, LOL.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    assuming she gets rid of the 2' pleco
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast